• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction has just started and set a new record for Action #1.
7 7

255 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2024 at 6:28 AM, CGC Mike said:

This has been fixed.

Now if CGC would just start telling us whether the Superman 1 is a "on sale soon" or "now on sale" edition!  You open the books, it is material info (1st/early print versus 2nd and/or 3rd print), it is more worth noting than a lot of things that are noted by CGC (which includes stuff not in Overstreet).  

Note: I'm not shooting the messenger, just noting something that CGC is hesitant to do on GA books it seems - note variants like Superman 1, Marvel Comics 1, subscription copies, etc. Heck, if you did it, a lot of people would probably need to resubmit their books so you'd make some money.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:06 AM, action1kid said:

I wouldn’t want to pay the tax on that on NY.

I would imagine that someone who can pay $5m for a book is able to arrange to take delivery in a state (or country) that doesn't have sales tax.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

If my aunt…

1937 modern enough?

IMG_1572.jpeg

I think it's because of the trimming that placed this book in a purple holder. Which brings me to the  argument as to why trimming is considered restoration. From what I understand, restoration is basically something is added to make the book or collectible look better so it can be brought back to its original state. Trimming is removing paper so it shouldn't be considered restoration.

I think trimmed books should have a different colored label like the color red lol

On 3/23/2024 at 11:55 AM, Dark Knight said:

I think it's because of the trimming that placed this book in a purple holder. Which brings me to the  argument as to why trimming is considered restoration. From what I understand, restoration is basically something is added to make the book or collectible look better so it can be brought back to its original state. Trimming is removing paper so it shouldn't be considered restoration.

I think trimmed books should have a different colored label like the color red lol

I agree. Because to quote Neil Young, "Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin".

Edited by Professor K

On 3/23/2024 at 10:54 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 3/23/2024 at 7:37 PM, Terry JSA said:

Superman will always be on top.

That's why Lois divorced him in that one comic story.

Didn't read that story, but are you saying it's because Lois wanted to be on top?  (:

On 3/19/2024 at 11:46 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Currently up to $4,200,000.00  ($5,040,000.00 with buyers premium)

I find bidding if that strong that early to be.. curious.   

On the one hand you'd better be pretty darn careful trying to shill something with a 840,000 BP.    On the other hand WTF is anyone thinking bidding 5m two weeks before the auction deadline.    Doesn't seem to be a reserve on the lot.

Curious as to other people's thoughts on that.

And to guesses on the ultimate result, as well.

Edited by Bronty

On 3/25/2024 at 7:06 AM, Bronty said:

I find bidding if that strong that early to be.. curious.   

On the one hand you'd better be pretty darn careful trying to shill something with a 840,000 BP.    On the other hand WTF is anyone thinking bidding 5m two weeks before the auction deadline.    Doesn't seem to be a reserve on the lot.

Curious as to other people's thoughts on that.

And to guesses on the ultimate result, as well.

They really want it and don't care who knows?  They don't want any problems with last minute bidding to cost them the book?  They want to scare others away and deter them from bidding the book up out of the heat of the moment? Might be a good strategy.  We'll see. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:14 AM, sfcityduck said:

They really want it and don't care who knows?  They don't want any problems with last minute bidding to cost them the book?  They want to scare others away and deter them from bidding the book up out of the heat of the moment? Might be a good strategy.  We'll see. 

They also obviously don't care that before the auction, others will be bidding the price up, costing them more.  To avoid that I personally won't bid until the book is up for bid.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:58 PM, fifties said:

They also obviously don't care that before the auction, others will be bidding the price up, costing them more.  To avoid that I personally won't bid until the book is up for bid.

Well that's why I wonder if it isn't someone that doesn't already own a high grade copy or two.      Besides the consignor, no one tends to want early bidding quite as much as owners of similar items.

Those types of owners don't just *not care* if there's early bidding, they actively desire it and might be willing to help it along.   

***pure conjecture, yada yada.

Edited by Bronty