• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

376 posts in this topic

Also, what if a book was already verified by JSA? If you send it in with the verification does it need to be verified again?

• Administrator
On 5/8/2024 at 9:24 AM, wombat said:

Why would magazines not be included from the start? Its not like there are new cases. 

Because our team wants to be sure our customers receive the best experience and turnaround time for this new service AND we expect a HUGE influx of books to be submitted to this from the get go, we will be releasing these new labels in steps for our Magazines, Pulps, Cards, and Posters. Be on the lookout for a future announcement when the addition of Magazines is announced.

I just find this whole thing disgusting. This is clearly a money grab by creating a service that didn't need to exist. I'll never buy anything that is verified by jsa. Autograph grading...... come on now......

On 5/8/2024 at 9:40 AM, MattM CS said:

Because our team wants to be sure our customers receive the best experience and turnaround time for this new service AND we expect a HUGE influx of books to be submitted to this from the get go, we will be releasing these new labels in steps for our Magazines, Pulps, Cards, and Posters. Be on the lookout for a future announcement when the addition of Magazines is announced.

OK. That makes sense. Didn't think about trying to not have EVERYTHING submitted at once lol. 

• Administrator
On 5/8/2024 at 9:26 AM, wombat said:

Also, what if a book was already verified by JSA? If you send it in with the verification does it need to be verified again?

Sorry Missed this question! 

Yes. You can now submit comics with JSA-authenticated autographs for CGC grading and encapsulation. Simply select an applicable grading tier and choose “JSA Autograph Authentication” as an add-on service. JSA authentication and CGC grading fees apply for all resubmissions because JSA will reauthenticate the autograph and CGC will regrade the comic. To provide an extra layer of scrutiny, even comics with autographs that were witnessed by JSA must also be submitted for autograph authentication.

On 5/8/2024 at 9:52 AM, Bakerbr13 said:

I just find this whole thing disgusting. This is clearly a money grab by creating a service that didn't need to exist. I'll never buy anything that is verified by jsa. Autograph grading...... come on now......

I disagree with the verification part, but agree about 'grading a signature'.  I have signed books I'd like to get graded from the 80's when I was a kid.  I witnessed it, but no one that could verify did!  Been sitting on the fence about grading elsewhere.  I have what I believe to be a 9.8 Punisher 1 Limited Series signed by Carl Potts.  I always wanted it to be graded, but don't like Green labels.  I have Sketched books I'd like to get graded / verified.  My LCS does several signings a year which I've been on the fence about due to grading issues.  I'm happy CGC / JSA is doing this.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:17 AM, MattM CS said:

Sorry Missed this question! 

Yes. You can now submit comics with JSA-authenticated autographs for CGC grading and encapsulation. Simply select an applicable grading tier and choose “JSA Autograph Authentication” as an add-on service. JSA authentication and CGC grading fees apply for all resubmissions because JSA will reauthenticate the autograph and CGC will regrade the comic. To provide an extra layer of scrutiny, even comics with autographs that were witnessed by JSA must also be submitted for autograph authentication.

So another way to say this is it does not matter at all if you already had a signature authenticated by JSA. You still have to get it authenticated again. Unless I'm not understanding. 

• Administrator
On 5/8/2024 at 10:25 AM, wombat said:

So another way to say this is it does not matter at all if you already had a signature authenticated by JSA. You still have to get it authenticated again. Unless I'm not understanding. 

For most JSA Authenticated Signatures this is correct. If however you submitted through their WPP service, you will receive a full CGC SS Label. On the graders notes section in the certification lookup it will state if the book was witnessed by CGC or by JSA. 

What if my autographed comic has a sketch on it?

JSA does not authenticate aftermarket sketches. If the autograph is authentic, and it is determined that the sketch will negatively impact the overall grade of the comic, the comic will receive a CGC Qualified green label. Alternatively, if it is determined that the sketch will not negatively impact the grade of the comic, the comic will receive the CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph label. If the autograph is not genuine, the comic will receive the CGC Universal blue label. In all scenarios, the label text and grader notes will indicate the outcome of JSA’s evaluation and state that a sketch is present on the comic

Need some more information on this as I would submit both normal signature books and also remarque or sketch cover books. What is exactly meant by negatively impacting the comic. Many remarques cover some portions of the cover art. Is that impacted even though if that same book was submitted under normal witnessed submission from a show and such it would still get the yellow label? I'm not submitting a book if I'm just going to end up with a green label. 

On 5/7/2024 at 10:06 PM, Cman429 said:

Great change. Long overdue. I’ve been collecting cards almost as long as comics and finally moving to their model. My card collecting buddies could never believe us comic guys had to drag around a middle aged dork to “witness” for a signature to be “authentic.” Good job, CGC! 

You signature is still not authentic as it has not been witnessed.

CGC Comics and JSA is proud to introduce the ✨NEW✨ CGC x JSA authentic autograph label! Your autographed comics, certified by CGC and JSA, will now get a sleek upgrade with the bold CGC x JSA Authentic Autograph black and yellow label. It's a fresh twist on the iconic CGC Signature Series label. Say goodbye to the green labels and hello to this new mark of authenticity!

440328150_834286505390506_8895905252617659920_n.thumb.jpg.f2343d684e543d6be6bb16e5a4959818.jpg

On 5/7/2024 at 9:17 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I was assuming it's not grading the sig's authenticity, but its quality. Like Stan Lee's sigs would get worse and worse as the day went on(get this guy a new sharpie!) and as his age increased, but some of his sigs looked like he used a stamp, which would be "A" grade sigs to me. 

Could it also be signature placement??? These are two Zeck signatures I got at Baltimore ComicCon about 10 years back. The SW8 def has better eye appeal even though the two signatures look pretty much the same.  Would the SW8 get a better signature grade??? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Administrator
On 5/8/2024 at 10:59 AM, I like pie said:

I have a few green labels that are due to hand numbering the books. Would these get 'authenticated' and put in a yellow label?

Can you post or send me an example with the cert number visible at submissions@cgccomics.com? 

Posted (edited)

Just as a flood of submissions come in, there will be a flood of “authenticated” JSA slabs hitting eBay/ComicLink/Heritage a month or two later. “How the market responds” will be the true test for the label.

Edited by DocGo
Mistakenly hit “submit”