• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

376 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2024 at 11:29 AM, MattM CS said:

That said, if CGC is not at a show but JSA is and you have a book go through this WPP service

Thanks @MattM CS! to be clear, if JSA is at a show, and CGC is not - you'd pay for the authentication fee, but still get the full yellow label? (ie, JSA is the witness?) Or would you get the yellow/black label?

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 12:07 PM, dbcn said:

Thanks @MattM CS! to be clear, if JSA is at a show, and CGC is not - you'd pay for the authentication fee, but still get the full yellow label? (ie, JSA is the witness?) Or would you get the yellow/black label?

Correct. It would be the full yellow label. 

image.png

On 5/13/2024 at 11:29 AM, MattM CS said:

Great question! Yes. Through JSAs WPP service, JSA will witness the signature take place. Those signatures if submitted will receive a full Yellow label Sig Series instead of the CGCxJSA label. That said, if CGC is not at a show but JSA is and you have a book go through this WPP service, the full CGCxJSA authentication service pricing will still apply. Thanks for checking! 

So CGC is 100% comfortable with the JSA WPP service to the same standard as the CGC witness program? 

Posted (edited)

eBay Beckett powerseller kcirredavniwhosales from Beijing, China sold a forged Jodie Foster photo certified authentic by BAS

(how is this legal , its abuse of their tm sticker.....had I been Beckett Id sue !)

Edited by postersandstuff

On 5/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, MattM CS said:

Correct. It would be the full yellow label. 

image.png

Hi Matt.  So, it sounds like in this situation, JSA places a WPP sticker on the item.  Wouldn't a sticker on a comic negatively impact the grade of the comic?

• Administrator
On 5/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, DELTA 62 said:

Hi Matt.  So, it sounds like in this situation, JSA places a WPP sticker on the item.  Wouldn't a sticker on a comic negatively impact the grade of the comic?

In this case, the JSA sticker will be ignored during the grading process. Thanks for checking! If there are other stickers on the book, this will be reviewed by our graders accordingly. 

On 5/8/2024 at 5:45 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Just sent in this as a tester. No, I did not get the sig graded, it's pretty obvious it's a vintage Romita sig. 

asmann21449.thumb.jpg.5a97dbb73dff5b13498d2803518a1b42.jpg

I'll post the results when it gets shipped!(Figured greasing the wheels with a potential glowing review couldn't hurt the TAT :nyah:)

A little confused. I submitted this book separately for JSA Autograph Authentication. But I noticed it has been grouped together with the other 7 Moderns I submitted and the total charged to my card was $25 less than I expected(seems like $20 is for shipping and $5 is for handling? but the $22.50 charge for authentication still stands?). Is this still going to be authenticated as I originally submitted,  @MattM CS?

CGCMay24.thumb.png.a3c647201a5cd430bdd5a005b0a92624.png

• Administrator
On 5/15/2024 at 8:41 PM, trademarkcomics said:

A little confused. I submitted this book separately for JSA Autograph Authentication. But I noticed it has been grouped together with the other 7 Moderns I submitted and the total charged to my card was $25 less than I expected(seems like $20 is for shipping and $5 is for handling? but the $22.50 charge for authentication still stands?). Is this still going to be authenticated as I originally submitted,  @MattM CS?

CGCMay24.thumb.png.a3c647201a5cd430bdd5a005b0a92624.png

Correct. The JSA service can be conbined with other books that are not receiving this service. The JSA authentication fee will still apply but the packing slip may show a different price than the actual grouping of the submission. Thanks for checking! 

On 5/17/2024 at 11:13 AM, MattM CS said:

Correct. The JSA service can be conbined with other books that are not receiving this service. The JSA authentication fee will still apply but the packing slip may show a different price than the actual grouping of the submission. Thanks for checking! 

I'll remember that the next time I submit. I just figured "when in doubt, separate it out". xD

On 5/14/2024 at 11:51 AM, dbcn said:

JSA places a WPP sticker on the item

@MattM CS follow up question about the stickers - if you submit a book for CGC grading and JSA sig verification, will that book have a sticker physically applied to the book itself as well? 

I guess: can you clarify which process - submission with grading / authentication, or JSA witnessing at a con - that would receive a sticker applied to a book? (to me this would be a total dealbreaker)

Is anyone else concerned that JSA witnessed signs are getting the same treatment as CGC witnessed sigs? CGC puts a lot of stock on how rigid their process is. How do they know it was equally rigid with JSA?

• Administrator
On 5/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, dbcn said:

@MattM CS follow up question about the stickers - if you submit a book for CGC grading and JSA sig verification, will that book have a sticker physically applied to the book itself as well? 

I guess: can you clarify which process - submission with grading / authentication, or JSA witnessing at a con - that would receive a sticker applied to a book? (to me this would be a total dealbreaker)

Hello! No it will not. This sticker is only applied when an item is submitted through JSA services ONLY at a show. Thanks for checking! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 7:23 PM, postersandstuff said:

eBay Beckett powerseller kcirredavniwhosales from Beijing, China sold a forged Jodie Foster photo certified authentic by BAS

(how is this legal , its abuse of their tm sticker.....had I been Beckett Id sue !)

Chinese counterfeit stickers and slabs is an ongoing problem in coins and autographs. Becket (BAS) has been hit particularly hard with numerous Chinese bulk sellers hawking fake signed photos with counterfeit BAS stickers and card COAs. Of course it's illegal and trademark infringement, but try going after some ghost Chinese company. All you can really do is block them at the point of sale.

One would think a large corporation would have the resources to immediately shut down such sellers on eBay and elsewhere. You need protect your brand. I know for a fact of at least two large authentication companies who can get eBay auctions and/or sellers immediately removed with a click of a button. Why BAS doesn't do the same is puzzling. 

Edited by Mr. Zipper