• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Just Graded 9.9. It Begins.....
7 7

178 posts in this topic

Couple of years ago it might’ve been the first million dollar Bronze comic.

Let’s hope there’s no SSS.

Edited by Ken Aldred

So this is kind of strange. I was curious to see if there were any other copies at 9.9, and when I checked the certification number it would not link to the census. As a work-around I checked other GSX and linked to the census that way, and no 9.9 copies show up even though the cert number checks out.

**EDIT** not sure if there is normally a lag between grading and a book appearing the census. It seemed odd to be but it could be perfectly normal. 

census.JPG

Edited by Stefan_W

On 3/27/2024 at 10:20 PM, Stefan_W said:

So this is kind of strange. I was curious to see if there were any other copies at 9.9, and when I checked the certification number it would not link to the census. As a work-around I checked other GSX and linked to the census that way, and no 9.9 copies show up even though the cert number checks out.

**EDIT** not sure if there is normally a lag between grading and a book appearing the census. It seemed odd to be but it could be perfectly normal. 

census.JPG

I had an ASM 291 I believe at the time - CGC 9.8 SS that there was 1/1 on census. It took a couple weeks before it showed up as 2/2 on census data.  I could see my graded book on my account but the census didn't change until a little while after pics were taken by CGC and I received my initial comic data. Not sure on the exact time frame between certification and census updates but it's most definitely not right away whereas you can bet they'd be showing the book off right away.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 3/27/2024 at 10:20 PM, Stefan_W said:

census.JPG

The census updates every few weeks or so. So no, it’s not going to immediately show up.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Couple of years ago it might’ve been the first million dollar Bronze comic.

Any bets that this will be the first of many to come as this will be perfect promotion and timing for CGC's introduction of their CGC 9.9 pre-screen program as per Matt's interview a few months ago just before they got side-tracked with the whole ASM 252 holder scandal. hm

Like Matt had alluded to in his interview, a very time-consuming and I guess this means a very costly one for submittors and one which the CCGownership group surely hopes they will still line up for as Matt says there surely must be some hidden 9.9's in amongst all of those 9.8's.  :devil:

On 3/27/2024 at 8:53 PM, Terry JSA said:

The census updates every few weeks or so. So no, it’s not going to immediately show up.

And yet, the CGC Census Population report says it was updated yesterday on March 26 as regularly scheduled every Tuesday.  (shrug)

I guess you are saying that although the census is updated every week, it is really updating data retroactively from a couple of weeks ago?  ???

On 3/28/2024 at 2:11 AM, lou_fine said:

And yet, the CGC Census Population report says it was updated yesterday on March 26 as regularly scheduled every Tuesday.  (shrug)

I guess you are saying that although the census is updated every week, it is really updating data retroactively from a couple of weeks ago?  ???

CGC is not exactly consistent with "what" they update or "when". It is likely they use a very inefficient system that someone has to batch update instead of an auto-updater once the file passes an approval process. We could be seeing updates from a month ago they just got around to approving.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:07 AM, lou_fine said:

Any bets that this will be the first of many to come as this will be perfect promotion and timing for CGC's introduction of their CGC 9.9 pre-screen program as per Matt's interview a few months ago just before they got side-tracked with the whole ASM 252 holder scandal. hm

I never heard about it before he was doing the interview about exactly the ASM 252 scandal in January.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:26 AM, Axelrod said:

So, what special friend/prominent member of the collecting community of CGC got this one graded?

apparently, metropolis/comicconnect, who are among cgc's biggest customers, submitting tons of books regularly. small wonder. very small. 

On 3/28/2024 at 8:47 AM, october said:

It's all so laughably transparent and corrupt at this point. 

The next one may be a "10."