• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us the favourite worthless dreck in your collection
3 3

61 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2024 at 1:22 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

4570870_Full_Obv.jpg

On 4/1/2024 at 7:06 AM, BA773 said:

Always was chocked by the violence of this cover :eek:

Good Lord! Choke!

EC horror loved that expression.

(Although it’s technically a crime comic homage.)

On 4/1/2024 at 12:29 AM, MattrixAlien said:

We all, generally speaking, like having keys and books with value in our collections. But many of us also have comics taking up space in our boxes which wouldn't look out of place in a bargain bin :bigsmile: They might be comics you enjoyed reading and feel nostalgic about. What are the favourite near worthless books in your collection? Show us their covers.

Here's one of mine. Excalibur had gorgeous art by Alan Davis and Chris Claremont's writing was at it's most fun, focused on the adventures of a team of likeable characters. I loved this series for the 1st 12 issues as a kid. It's been described by more than 1 comic book influencer as a series without keys. (Strictly speaking there are a couple of issues with slight value say $5. But virtually the entire series across all volumes can be found in dollar bins.)  I've collected a few of the 1st appearances of the characters in the team including Lockheed, Rachel, Kitty (this is not cheap), Meghan in US comics etc which occur in other series. May never get Nightcrawler :bigsmile:

20240401_084414.thumb.jpg.a1912672104ffd70d8d3ae8ddefd07aa.jpg

Davis also returned to the title later on, taking over writing as well, and those are good reads.

I don't have pictures of my drek (yet), but some quarterbox favorites include 

Alien Legion

The Question (O'Neil)

Untold Tales of Spider-Man

Marvel Two-In-One

Top Ten

Leave It To Chance

Plop!

FF: The World's Greatest Comic Magazine

And on, and on, and on. The best thing about these is that they have NO resale value, so I get to keep them til I die!

On 4/1/2024 at 9:08 AM, KirbyJack said:

Plop!

Is Plop! really considered drek? I know the books can be found fairly cheap but they did showcase some good stuff from Aragones and the like (shrug)

On 4/1/2024 at 2:08 PM, KirbyJack said:

The best thing about these is that they have NO resale value, so I get to keep them til I die!

A terrible burden, especially when many of these comics contain great story and art, despite that.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:32 AM, B2D327 said:

Is Plop! really considered drek? I know the books can be found fairly cheap but they did showcase some good stuff from Aragones and the like (shrug)

Maybe not drek now, but I did buy almost all of them out of the quarterbox. 

On 4/1/2024 at 1:00 AM, BA773 said:
On 3/31/2024 at 6:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

More Newsstands that I got for the nich, but a direct copy as well to read :x

See if they're worth there salt, some were "interesting"😉🤔

3496366_Full_Obv.jpg

3496366_Full_Rev.jpg

3853866_Full_Obv.jpg

3853866_Full_Rev.jpg

Expand  

Isnt it the issue just following one which is worth like 100? lol

Ya that run for batman and AMS both in the early #600's have either "newsstand editions" or minor sought books, however I "collected" those, but the readers are still just books to have the regular editions too or "readers" :cheers: 

a bit of a stretch, but it was the pics I had available at the time, most of which I'd argue is drek/goodread/other criteria :) 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A terrible burden, especially when many of these comics contain great story and art, despite that.

Honneslty if the story was making the value tons of Golden Age would rot in the dollar bin, im not saying that these stories were poor, just a different time... and personally i like these old tales but there s no world where they are better than any 80s or 90s or 00s stories...

I won't be home to grab images of them, but I have about 75% of a set, including most of the variants, of The Adventures of Kool-Aid Man, in generally pretty high grades. OH YEAH.

The comics in my Midnight Nation registry set are probably worth less than their plastic slabs, much less the grading fees, but I don't care, and have no regrets.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:22 AM, DougC said:

Enjoyable collections of complete Drek you say?

Behold my stuff!

image.thumb.jpeg.bf75a7dde6485c59aefa07fead8d683a.jpeg

Also have a sealed case of trading cards (plus tons of boxes), the Dark Dominion's are the free "we are sorry for missing deadlines" with various signatures and apology letters. The letter in the bottom left is a missive from the Defiant offices to someone asking for a couple missing zero issue cards. The B&W add is a color guide preview for the eventual back cover advertisement, various pins, mailers, and such.

all of this is completely worthless to pretty much everyone; so I generally pick up items super cheap when something new pops up.

That's the drekkiest drek that ever drekked a drek! Cool stuff!

On 3/31/2024 at 8:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Bought the slab as a raw to submit...

But had to buy the raws to read, thinking surely the wolverine didn't go through with it and it was just a ploy? Variant cover ploy?

Boy was I wrong and glad the notation is now on the slabs 

4570870_Full_Obv.jpg

4570870_Full_Rev.jpg

Well the homage cover isn't really worthless drek, it was pretty much worth something when it was released

On 4/1/2024 at 4:26 PM, KirbyJack said:

Whole runna Plop!

IMG_1257.thumb.jpeg.fed0101f39674d69f5cd2cbcb7a38f58.jpeg

Were these worth something once upon a time or is that just some sort of Overstreet fabrication based on dealers having boxes of them they wanted to unload like Shadow 1 and Shazam 1 (before anyone cared about Shazam 1). I know if you grew up reading Mad in the 60s and 70s these probably feel pretty cool, but if you're under 50, I dunno, frankly, they're borderline cool for me and I'm over 50 and read Mad in the 70s.

Edited by the blob

I agree that they’re fun.
And while it’s certainly possible that I’m underestimating their current value, the last time I looked (< 2 years) I could buy a similar grade #1 for $5.