• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Piskor Has Passed
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, sfcityduck said:

So if the young woman commits suicide because she is being blamed by people like you for Ed's suicide, you take on that responsibility?

Take on what responsibility? I said actions have consequences. So if you're saying would I have to deal with that as a potential consequence of my actions then yes. It doesn't automatically mean it's my fault or even a contributing factor, it's just a fact.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:08 AM, BrashL said:

I was a criminal prosecutor for many years and i never once encountered anything like this. Where in your legal experience did you see this happen or are you just smearing two professions based on something you saw on Law and Order SVU?

There are so many examples, I have trouble believing you never encountered one. I just gave you one of the most famous examples: The Central Park Five in NYC - a national story for years. I can cite you many many examples. Any attorney, especially prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys, can cite such examples - even just a civil litigator like me. I cannot believe that you are truly trying to deny the problems of wrongful convictions based on cross-racial eyewitness identifications or are ignorant of the many examples innocent people sent to jail based on bad identifications that ultimately are exonerated by DNA and other evidence, including confessions by the true perpetrators. What state are you in?

On 4/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, sfcityduck said:

On this we agree: The young woman's decision to tell her story does not make her at fault for Ed's suicide. 

Fault is a tricky word, I assume you mean liable or responsible for his death and I agree, she is not.

I don't think she did the right thing by blasting out her grievances the way she did and I won't speculate on why she did, but had her post gone into the ether and stopped there this wouldn't have ended how it ended. Planes rarely crash for one reason and usually could have been prevented at multiple points in the causal chain. Unfortunately nothing stopped that first fallen domino from reaching the end. And sure, you could argue that his behavior was the first domino, or him getting to be big in the industry, or some unknown childhood trauma. The point is that at multple points someone doing the right thing could have stopped this and bad decision after bad decision led to tragedy. 

On 4/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, BrashL said:

I was speaking specifically to your paragraph about not believing rape victims. Why you spun that into a racial thing I have no idea.

Eyewitnesses in general tend to be unreliable for a lot of reasons and racism is generally pretty low on the list. I practiced in Cook County and the number of white witnesses testifying against minority defendants was less than 10%. The victims of most crimes committed by minorities are minorities, as are most eyewitnesses involved in those cases. It's just the neighborhoods the majority of crime occurs in. Most prosecutors and cops I dealt with just wanted to find justice for victims. I practiced in Cook County but after the Burge years; I'm not naive enough to think there aren't some evil people in positions they shouldn't be but they are far outweighed by good people doing hard jobs for low pay because they believe in what they are doing. 

Eyewitness testimony is beloved by juries but, according to the studies, one of the least reliable forms of identification. And for cross-racial identification is far worse. Glad we agree on that.

As for prosecutors not taking rape accusations seriously, there's a lot of academic work on that but its not the sort of thing that ends up in the papers for specific victims for obvious reasons. What you are taking issue with is this statement:

"Historically, they took the position that it wasn't worth prosecuting a rape case on behalf of a sexually active woman. The notion was something along the lines of is the victim had sex with guy A, B, and C, then she couldn't win a rape case against guy D. Those attitudes have been hard to quash. There have been legal reforms."

As a prosecutor, I'm sure you are up on the history of rape shield laws and the need for them. So I'm not sure we need to debate this. States started enacting them in the 1970s and 1980s and we didn't get a federal rape shield law until the 1990s.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 1:36 PM, wombat said:

But this is what I'm saying. His reputation. His career. He could have fought for those. Others have come back from things like this. Of course other factors could have been at play. Maybe he had issues know one knew about that made this worse for him. 

But what's the "fix" for this? Not have people step forward when they think they are a victim? Not cut ties with people if you know it will cost you business? How should this have played out?

I would say for me, personally, the "fix" is to not get involved in any way when someone I have no connection to shares an experience or opinion about anyone else I have no connection to.  Collectively, we could have viewed the initial 1st hand reports as like PSAs - and then said to ourselves "ok well this will either play itself out legally or somehow become clearer in the public eye.  I'll follow it if I'm interested."  

The problem is that, with social media, other people's lived experiences become something for each of us to react to - indeed, that's really the only value anything on social media has - and that generates the feeling of no safe haven, etc, when that attention is pointed at you.  

So for me, the fix is to keep increasingly realizing that I don't have to get involved in other people's stories just because I come across them and that social media interaction is most often a solely negative way of interacting.  

We can each control our own behavior.  I didn't get involved on reddit or anything, but did exchange a few presumptive txts with a friend.  And if anything I personally said online as someone completely disconnected from this whole thing would have added weight to what Ed, Molly, or anyone else felt in this situation, I would regret it.  And will try to remember that the next time something like this happens.

Edited by Corvonie

On 4/2/2024 at 12:55 PM, BrashL said:

Fault is a tricky word, I assume you mean liable or responsible for his death and I agree, she is not.

I don't think she did the right thing by blasting out her grievances the way she did and I won't speculate on why she did

She has the right to tell her story. She gets to decide if that was the right thing. Ed had the right to ignore or respond, whichever he felt was right. People will judge if they care or ignore if they don't. If Ed thought he'd been defamed, he could have sued her. Then a court would judge.  That's basically what our laws encourage to happen. So I can't say she did the "wrong thing."

The internet is no different than standing on a box on a street corner. Except that you might reach more people (I'm pretty sure we don't). That's viewed as democratizing. You no longer have to be rich to get your story out. Now we can all reach whatever audience we can reach ... if we can cut through all the noise enough to get someone to listen which, ironically, seems to work best for the rich and famous. We can all debate whether the internet is good or not. I personally think our country has lost its cohesiveness due to the democratization of speech, much of it gibberish wacko which tricks the gullible, and proliferation of media which had eroded national consensus. But none of us can argue that its improper for her to tell a true story. We may not like it. It may make us uncomfortable. But everyone has the right to do so (with very limited exceptions).

On 4/2/2024 at 10:35 AM, BrashL said:

That's the problem with social media lynch mobs and whisper campaigns. He can't defend himself because he's already been convicted and sentenced. He already lost all his work, he already had people start to pull away from him for fear of guilt by association. This is exactly why we have a criminal justice system to being with. 

Although it is far too late, I would have suggested that he stay off social media for an extended period of time. After a while, these Internet bullies move on to someone else.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:20 AM, sfcityduck said:

The problem with rape victims is less the courts than it is the police and prosecutors. Historically, they took the position that it wasn't worth prosecuting a rape case on behalf of a sexually active woman. The notion was something along the lines of is the victim had sex with guy A, B, and C, then she couldn't win a rape case against guy D. Those attitudes have been hard to quash.

This has been addressed, to some degree, by rape shield laws.

On 4/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

There's a great (and much needed) book called Monsters, by Claire Dederer. It's all about the question of "Can we still love the work of people who were not great humans in real life?" I'm NOT lumping Ed into that category, but his tragic death is so relevant. The summation of Dederer's book is that we love the art of "monsters" and even still love the people themselves because it's love and love is madness and it doesn't always make sense and it's deeply personal. So what one person loves/hates is up to them, not society. We can love our parents even if they beat us as kids, we can love a spouse even if they've strayed, we can love a child even if they've committed a terrible crime. It's not for the mobs to decide. I think if that kind of space/grace were allowed we'd all be better off. Will we get there? Doubtful, but hopefully this tragedy will will move us in that direction. 

RIP Ed.

Thank you for sharing. I preordered the softcover.