• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Age 80’s action movie keys
2 2

19 posts in this topic

FYI Thread

NOW Comics

Rust 12: first appearance of the Terminator in a 5 page preview

Terminator 1: first full appearance of the Terminator in comics

Terminator 12: first appearance and cover appearance of John Conner in comics

Terminator: All My Futures Past 1: first appearance of Kyle Reese in comics

Dark Horse Comics

Aliens 1 1988: first appearance of the Aliens, Newt, Hicks, Drake, Vazquez, Frost, Crow and Hudson 

Aliens 4 1989: full page cameo of Ripley on the last page 

Aliens Earth War 1: first full appearance of Ripley in comics

Aliens: Newts Tale 1: first appearance of Burke, Gorman, Apone, Dietrich, Weirzbowski

Aliens: Newts Tale 2: first appearance of Bishop in comics.  Ferro mentioned in name only

Predator 1: first appearance of the Predator in comics

Marvel

Marvel Magazine Terminator 2: first appearance of Sarah Conner, T-1000, and CSM 101 (Arnold’s Terminator) in comics; first cover appearance of Sarah Conner, T-1000, and CSM 101.

The Terminator 2 magazine came out two weeks prior to the 3 issue mini series.

Robocop Magazine 1988: first appearance and origin of Robocop

Diamond Comics

Schwarzenegger Commando mini comic: first appearance of Col John Matrix “commando” in comics

Blackthorn Comics

Rambo III: first American appearance of John Rambo in comics

If anyone has anything to add please feel free.

Edited by Parabellum

I'm actually sort of surprised how many of the big 80s action franchises never got a contemporary comic book adaptation. 

One that definitely belongs on this list:

• Cyborg (Cannon Video, 1989), based on the Van Damme film. This absolutely fits in with the rest of these, but is going to be a challenge to get in a 9.8 slab. There are only 9 of these on census right now, including just one in 9.8. Looks like a surprisingly low print run promotional.

If you're willing to let this drift into 90s stuff:

• Total Recall (DC, 1990). Bonus points if you track down the limited edition. I'm not sure if Starlog's Total Recall Official Movie Magazine came out before the DC book, but it doesn't appear to have comics content.
  • Universal Soldier #1 (Now, 1992). This book has both direct market and newsstand editions, but they're actually very different. Not only do they have totally different covers, but the newsstand copies are bowdlerized to tone down the violence. 
  • Demolition Man #1 (DC, 1993). 
  • Timecop. This one's got a funny history. The film is based on a comic book story, which began in Dark Horse Comics #1 (Dark Horse, 1992), but was then re-adapted into a two-issue comic book miniseries beginning with Time Cop #1 (Dark Horse, 1994). It's the comic book of the film of the comic book!
  • The Adventures of Snake Plissken #1 (Marvel, 1997). I think this is the first appearance of Kurt Russell's character from Escape from New York (and, by the time this came out, Escape from L.A.).

I'm less certain you'd want to include properties that didn't get comic book adaptations until much, much later:

• Die Hard Year One (Boom!, 2009). First John McClane comic book appearance. Boom! has actually made quite a niche for itself with these film franchise adaptations. 
  • Mad Max Fury Road (DC, 2015). Somehow, this seems to be the first Mad Max franchise appearance in an American comic book appearance. There was a Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome magazine in 1985, but doesn't have comics content (unless you count the Richard Amsel cover, I guess). The first global comic appearance that I can confirm is in Fantasia Anuario #22 (Editorial Columba, 1985), a magazine-sized Argentinian publication (adapting Thunderdome), although one source suggests that there might be Mad Max content in an Italian anthology publication, Orient Express #4 (L'Isola Trovata, 1982). No idea whether that's accurate or not, though.

Because the world is a cruel and uncaring place, there was never a comic book adaptation of Gymkata:sorry:

On 4/3/2024 at 3:21 PM, Parabellum said:

Rust 12: first appearance of the Terminator in a 5 page preview

Also, while I'm not a big believer that advertising previews (as opposed to in-book preview mini-stories like in Rust #12) count as "appearances", Now Comics News (v2) #6 previews the, um, preview of Terminator in Rust, and #7 comes with a fold-out poster of the character. Included largely for completionist interest.

The TMNT stuff?  I guess the movie didn't come out til 1990.  Up to you if you include or not.

There's the Dune comics, the Willow comics - Marvel 

Big Trouble in Little China comics that came in 2014 from Boom.

Whatever the first appearance of Conan the Barbarian (and friends) is.  

On 4/4/2024 at 12:16 PM, revat said:

The TMNT stuff?  I guess the movie didn't come out til 1990.  Up to you if you include or not.

There's the Dune comics, the Willow comics - Marvel 

Big Trouble in Little China comics that came in 2014 from Boom.

Whatever the first appearance of Conan the Barbarian (and friends) is.  

A lot depends on what you want to count as the "action movie" genre. Many 80s films and film franchises have their first comic appearances in Marvel Comics Super Special

Conan's first global comic appearance is arguably in obscure Mexican comic Cuentos de Abuelito #8 (Corporacion Editorial Mexicana, 1952). This is absolutely an adaptation of the Howard's Conan story "Queen of the Black Coast", but it's an unofficial appearance in an obscure foreign book, so evidently doesn't count for everyone. His first American comic is Conan the Barbarian #1 (Marvel, 1970), which CGC credits as his first comics appearance. But of course, that all greatly predates the film; the first comic appearance of Arnold-style Conan is Marvel Comics Super Special #21 (Marvel, 1982), adapting the Conan the Barbarian film.

Posted (edited)

I should have created this thread in Comics General and not made it Copper Age specific.  There are a lot of books that had first appearances of popular movie characters in either Bronze or Modern Age, not just Copper.

@Qalyar awesome info BTW!  Got me to purchase this today.  I know its a Modern book.

IMG_4856.jpeg

Edited by Parabellum

On 4/4/2024 at 1:42 PM, Qalyar said:

A lot depends on what you want to count as the "action movie" genre. Many 80s films and film franchises have their first comic appearances in Marvel Comics Super Special

Yes, definitely MCSS! First Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Blade Runner, Dark Crystal, so many more.