• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do I only have two weeks to ship back CGC's mistake?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I posted this question yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I recently sent in my copy of Amazing Spider-man CGC 9.6 for a re-holder, order #: CGC9397312633. Unfortunately I was out of state when the comic was returned to me in it's new holder. By the time I got home, opened the package, and discovered that there was broken pieces of plastic inside the new holder, more than two weeks had passed. So I shipped it back to CGC for a second time, order #:CGC9411751066 to get this problem corrected, but since two weeks have passed, I get to pay for it. More that $60.00 out of my pocket to pay for your screw-up. Not happy. Why do I only get two weeks to return CGC's mistake? You're the ones who screwed up. Giving me only two weeks seems like a way for you to keep my money even though you messed up.

Edited by Joel0109

On 4/11/2024 at 9:50 AM, Joel0109 said:

I posted this question yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I recently sent in my copy of Amazing Spider-man CGC 9.6 for a re-holder, order #: CGC9397312633. Unfortunately I was out of state when the comic was returned to me in it's new holder. By the time I got home, opened the package, and discovered that there was broken pieces of plastic inside the new holder, more than two weeks had passed. So I shipped it back to CGC for a second time, order #:CGC9411751066 to get this problem corrected, but since two weeks have passed, I get to pay for it. More that $60.00 out of my pocket to pay for your screw-up. Not happy. Why do I only get two weeks to return CGC's mistake? You're the ones who screwed up. Giving me only two weeks seems like a way for you to keep my money even though you messed up.

Yikes.  I sent one in after about 4 weeks, despite the 2 week warning.  I just sent it with a note. Sharpie'd the slab where all the issues were.  They fixed it and sent it back.  Didn't charge me a thing.

Still had issues, but less of them.

On 4/11/2024 at 6:50 AM, Joel0109 said:

Why do I only get two weeks to return CGC's mistake?

Because...

On 4/11/2024 at 6:50 AM, Joel0109 said:

I get to pay for it.

Edited by MR SigS

In most instances, two weeks seems like plenty to evaluate slabs and decide whether they need to be returned.  Most sellers here don't offer that much time.

If you were not around to receive and inspect the work, the "clock" ought to start when you returned and could.  If you haven't already, contact Customer Service and explain the situation.  Perhaps a full or partial refund could be offered.

Because you cannot honestly expect CGC to be held accountable for their own mistakes. That sounds like some kind of expectation of quality control and responsibility when we all know it is the customer that is in the wrong for "finding" these errors in the first place.:dollars:

Seriously though it is morally bankrupt business economics; CGC puts out so many of these that it is not cost effective to fix them all. So they limit a customers ability to return damaged product and save the money while ignoring any social outcry until it becomes a PR problem. Then they can roll back the return policy and pretend they are doing it in the best interest of the customer and be the hero.

If it helps I have a sticker I hand out for cases just like this:

image.thumb.png.47732da244ef2d26972125cda72aaf90.png

On 4/11/2024 at 9:50 AM, Joel0109 said:

Did you contact CGC before shipping it back? I have found customer service is really helpful, and if you contact them about it in advance and even past the two weeks they can note in the system that the ME was approved. 

@Joel0109 I have had quite a few ME's sent back to CGC for reholdering - once I get the package, it usually takes < 5m to open it and spot the flaws (which begs the question how good the QC is...) so two weeks seems perfectly reasonable. 

For next time - if you know you're not going to be around to sign for the package, you can get in touch with CGC's customer support & put a Ship Hold on your account - then CGC just keeps the shipments till you reach out and cancel the ship hold, the books get shipped and you are around to pick them up, and then the 2 weeks starts when you receive the books.

I've done several ship holds when I know books are coming and I'm on vacation or whatever, works like a charm. Texting is better though - I sent and email for a ship hold a few weeks back and CGC didn't see it till a few days later and the book had already shipped out. 

On 4/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, DougC said:

Because you cannot honestly expect CGC to be held accountable for their own mistakes. That sounds like some kind of expectation of quality control and responsibility when we all know it is the customer that is in the wrong for "finding" these errors in the first place.:dollars:

Seriously though it is morally bankrupt business economics; CGC puts out so many of these that it is not cost effective to fix them all. So they limit a customers ability to return damaged product and save the money while ignoring any social outcry until it becomes a PR problem. Then they can roll back the return policy and pretend they are doing it in the best interest of the customer and be the hero.

If it helps I have a sticker I hand out for cases just like this:

image.thumb.png.47732da244ef2d26972125cda72aaf90.png

Its another case of, "We didn't have to do that." I'll agree with the part of not having to alter the return protocol for CGC's endless slab mistakes.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, manetteska said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority but a customer should not have to jump through hoops due to a company's neglect.

The expectation should be receiving a quality (or non-damaged) product -- not lining up vacations, contacting customer service, contacting them again when you're back home, because if something does happen the company doesn't stand behind it's product for longer than 2 weeks.

So... CGC should just know when you're on vacation?

tbh I don't think it's too much - it literally takes 10m to txt them that you won't be around to sign for a package - I'd much rather do that than take the chance that the FedEx guy gives up after 2 attempts and throws the SS book you've spent 6 months waiting for in a bush by your door. 

In an ideal world: CGC would make a check box on your account that you could enable/disable the ship hold as needed - then it wouldn't take any time at all... 

Edited by dbcn

On 4/11/2024 at 2:01 PM, dbcn said:
On 4/11/2024 at 1:49 PM, manetteska said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority but a customer should not have to jump through hoops due to a company's neglect.

The expectation should be receiving a quality (or non-damaged) product -- not lining up vacations, contacting customer service, contacting them again when you're back home, because if something does happen the company doesn't stand behind it's product for longer than 2 weeks.

So... CGC should just know when you're on vacation?

No, not even close.

On 4/11/2024 at 4:21 PM, manetteska said:

The expectation should be receiving a quality (or non-damaged) product

100%

On 4/11/2024 at 4:24 PM, MR SigS said:

They're the ones shipping boxes filled with mistakes.

Ah sorry I thought we were talking about delivery issues - I can whole heartedly get behind the QC ranting though lol  - debris, misprinted labels, scratches, cracks - I was returning a little less than half ~45% of the books I received over the last year for MEs - which is why I don't mind the 2 weeks - usually I spot the issues with 30s of opening the box, and usually get them turned around & sent back in a day. 

Plenty of QC ranting over in

On 4/11/2024 at 1:45 PM, dbcn said:

100%

Ah sorry I thought we were talking about delivery issues - I can whole heartedly get behind the QC ranting though lol  - debris, misprinted labels, scratches, cracks - I was returning a little less than half ~45% of the books I received over the last year for MEs - which is why I don't mind the 2 weeks - usually I spot the issues with 30s of opening the box, and usually get them turned around & sent back in a day. 

Plenty of QC ranting over in

What I meant was adding even another week to the limit seems like a small thing to ask considering the number of people, including me, that has had to deal with this. Luckily for me they announced the rule after my ordeal was resolved.