• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC graded Pulps - my first experience and results.
3 3

169 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, comicjack said:

Last book in the submit just because you can was the reason behind this one.The cover is a classic good girl art and a Halloween fav for pulp guys who doesn't love a witch like that.This came back a little better than i was thinking so i am happy with the  results until the next submit.

image.thumb.jpeg.258faad236ac66269403fdb5b1ed4013.jpeg

Confirmed Bergey.  His name should be on the box :foryou:

Sweet books!  And I honestly get a huge kick out of people scrambling to get hands on Startlings like these right now and to see the ones people have squirreled away.  FFS, I wish I'd been a bit smarter and picked up a nice 10 or 20 dollar upper midgrade of some favorites 15 years ago when it was easy to do.  SF has always seemed so attainable (and isn't an area I scan in since there were/are so many scanners with an SF focus), so I always let it slide.  I do think there are probably some even higher grade copies of late era SF out there, but I'm not sure I've actually laid hands on any :D  The wild thing about the relative availability of a title like Startling is it becomes collectible since people can put together a full run both because you can find it and also because you can afford it.  Please keep your copy, but I'd love to see what an 8.5 or a 9.0 of January 1950 would fetch in an all pulp auction at Heritage hm

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 12:50 AM, asimovpulps said:

Yup, highest out of 15 copies so far. Surprisingly the next highest is only a 6.5. I'm sure we'll see more high grade copies pop up over time, though the overhangs on these issues do get hammered pretty hard by CGC from what I've seen. 

I also happen to have the highest January 1950 issue out of 18 graded so far 👀. Both of my issues came from an original owner collection and were stored in custom clamshell boxes for probably decades. I know there are two pedigree copies of January 1950 (Yakima and one on Heritage) which both came in at 8.0s, so this one is kinda cool to have.

CGC4393849-001_OBV@500x787.jpg.4c708a6e7a7f0e553718af98ac225442.jpg

Just got super lucky finding these, I usually buy mid grade to make my money go further

Interesting point on the overhang... that would explain the grader notation on one of mine. 

Those are two beautiful copies of 1950, Startling Stories.  On a side note, what kind of market value (if any) would you place on the March 1950 issue?

Edited by Hibou

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 4:52 PM, Hibou said:

what kind of market value (if any) would you place on the March 1950 issue?

I’d wildly speculatively guess $2750 + 20% buyer’s premium. Could be way higher. Mine about 50 bucks. 

Edited by ThothAmon

Maybe overhangs only become much of an issue up above like 6.0?  Definitely very appealing when the right side overhang is intact.

I couldn't even guess what 8.5 or 9.0 on one of these last two would fetch right now.  TA's guess seems high, but I have no idea hm These late and historically more common pulps seem like such a wildly speculative area right now, definitely seeing prices I wouldn't expect and maybe just maybe I'm understanding the phenom a bit better.

Posted (edited)

I had a 4.0-5.0 of copy of 1/50 on these boards for sale at $200 a couple of years ago and it didn’t sell. An iconic cover for sure but very common. Now, with pulps in plastic cases and blood in the water, I can see a lot of craziness for it…

Over the years, I have owned 4-5 copies.

Edited by Robot Man

There's a 4.5 in a box of the January 1950 at HA this weekend (and it seems I've seen a number of sales of it recently).

More interesting is the 8.0 coming up (Roy Krenkel Pedigree?) in the Roger Hill auction in July.  That auction is going to be fun (even for a likely mere spectator like myself).

On 5/31/2024 at 11:46 AM, Robot Man said:

I had a 4.0-5.0 of copy of 1/50 on these boards for sale at $200 a couple of years ago and it didn’t sell. An iconic cover for sure but very common. Now, with pulps in plastic cases and blood in the water, I can see a lot of craziness for it…

Over the years, I have owned 4-5 copies.

I had a copy of that Famous Novels(?) with the writhing skull cover in nice shape for $50 and it was accompanied by crickets for two threads. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 5:14 PM, Darwination said:

Maybe overhangs only become much of an issue up above like 6.0?  Definitely very appealing when the right side overhang is intact.

I couldn't even guess what 8.5 or 9.0 on one of these last two would fetch right now.  TA's guess seems high, but I have no idea hm These late and historically more common pulps seem like such a wildly speculative area right now, definitely seeing prices I wouldn't expect and maybe just maybe I'm understanding the phenom a bit better.

This will certainly sound strange, but when I see issues like that... this is the first image that pops into my head for some reason.

I may need counseling.

200px-Kit_kat_logo17.png

Edited by Hibou

On 6/5/2024 at 7:36 AM, Cool Ghoul said:

I just got my graded pulps back from CGC.  I will say that they are pretty strict with grading.  That said, I found their pulps grading to be consistent with their comic grading.  Most of my 1930s pulps got between a 6.0-7.0, but I was pleased with this one from 1940:

CGC4417820-011_OBV.jpg

Spectacular! That is the highest graded pulp I have seen so far. Congrats!

Issues, I sent (11) Pulps to CGC and out of the (11) pulps (3) came back with issues, on the inside plastic covering the pulps and the slab as-well.

Really not sure what to do at this point, I'm happy with the grade just don't like the Blemish on each top side of the books, both top sides and on the inside plastic and outer slab as-well.

I guess I will have to send back and pay for Re-Slab of each book......  Bummer!!!

WT Oct 1937 PIC 1.jpg

WT Oct 1937 PIC 2.jpg

WT OCt 1937 PIC 3.jpg

WT OCt 1937 PIC 4.jpg

WT Oct 1937 PIC 5.jpg