• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 2
17 17

214 posts in this topic

Submitted.  All of you long-time grading experts need to understand what it's like for us grading-challenged newbies:

Day 1 - get grades from previous contest, be disgusted with your estimates, or complain about the harshness or leniency of the graders.  Sulk before bedtime and consider quitting the hobby altogether.

Day 2 - wake up to a new day with renewed optimism.  Completely reread the CGC grading book defects section.

Day 3 - exhaustively research high-res scans of CGC books at Heritage looking for flaws similar to those in the contest books.

Day 4 - submit grades and hope for the best!

On 4/25/2024 at 7:23 PM, WilliamLunt said:

Random observation, is that the back cover for Transformers #1?

Every copy I look at (N/S, direct, CPV) has this back cover:
image.png.80aa5aa68049b2560274afe1599f32df.png

Interesting. I'm not a Transformers #1 expert, but I checked out some graded copies on eBay and I noticed the same thing.

@CGC Mike - in the off chance that the back cover posted doesn't correspond to the Transformers #1 front cover that was posted, one option is for CGC to give the book a hypothetical grade based on the front and back cover scans provided. That would seem to be seem to be a fair enough approach, since that's what everyone who has submitted grades so far would have done (and it wouldn't require striking out, or replacing a book which could be a pain for you).

On 4/25/2024 at 9:02 PM, ChrispyC66 said:
On 4/25/2024 at 8:29 PM, Superman2006 said:

Interesting. I'm not a Transformers #1 expert, but I checked out some graded copies on eBay and I noticed the same thing.

@CGC Mike - in the off chance that the back cover posted doesn't correspond to the Transformers #1 front cover that was posted, one option is for CGC to give the book a hypothetical grade based on the front and back cover scans provided. That would seem to be seem to be a fair enough approach, since that's what everyone who has submitted grades so far would have done (and it wouldn't require striking out, or replacing a book which could be a pain for you).

It’s the 3rd Print

Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up!

On 4/25/2024 at 9:30 PM, scburdet said:

Is it a good sign or a bad one when you read Mike's notes & can't see the defect mentioned?

giphy.gif

I pay attention to Mike's notes but in the end, if I can't see that defect I don't deduct for it.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I know. We're all doomed this time, Hudson. The winner will be whoever's the luckiest guesser. Unless it's me of course, then it will be down to the application of long-honed skills and 

I'm wondering about dart boards...as Bizzaro would say. "?these am hard"

Guesses in

On 4/26/2024 at 1:26 PM, skypinkblu said:

I'm wondering about dart boards...as Bizzaro would say. "?these am hard"

Guesses in

These am hard very.

Sharon, if dart boards are a thing, I've hit the bloke doing the scoring five times this round. 

Do you think there's a book below 7.5 anywhere in our future? If I see another ten high grades with camera glare spines on black backgrounds I'm packing it in. Probably!