• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed for Amazing Spider-Man #14 CGC 6.5 Purchase
2 2

13 posts in this topic

One of my collecting goals for 2024 is to upgrade my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #14 CGC 4.5.

I have found two CGC 6.5 copies, one on Instagram for $4,250 and one on ShortBoxed for $3,999.

Here are some pictures and the grading notes for the $4,250 copy.

4250-1.thumb.jpeg.705a37a98aba29b12e2a556b852289bf.jpeg

4250-2.thumb.jpeg.2ed5ee7effed125170d0b8bea3403307.jpeg

4250-3.thumb.jpeg.90a8de346dd4e11fbbe3fb589327ce99.jpeg

Grader Notes
Creasing to cover
Light staining to cover
Spine stress lines to cover
Wear all edges of cover

Here are some pictures and the grading notes for the $3,999 copy.

3999-2.jpeg.832683996f83c50fd01175aee1c79729.jpeg

3999-1.thumb.jpeg.1320854fd57b79c18ed5d7f809b92944.jpeg

3999-3.thumb.jpeg.cff7e5ae4665387aa1b79f0d02702fda.jpeg

Grader Notes
Wear spine breaks color
Light, multiple crease left top of back cover
Multiple crease left bottom of front cover breaks color
Small smudge center of front cover

The $4,250 copy has white pages, but the seller has said the price is firm.
The $3,999 has off-white to white pages, but since it is on ShortBoxed, I believe I might be able to purchase it for less than the current asking price.

I believe (hope) that I can sell my ASM #14 CGC 4.5 for around $2,000, so my expenditure would be somewhere around $2,000. Also, I am not really looking for a book that I can improve; I am perfectly happy to have a 6.5 copy in my collection.

So, if you had the choice, which book would you purchase and why?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Edited by Math Teacher

It could just be the pictures, but the colors on the more expensive 6.5 seem a lot brighter to me. This is most pronounced in the yellow at the top and the Hulk in the bottom right. 

As you know, I'm always willing to spend more of your money than you are, but if it were me, I'd take the more expensive copy as it presents quite a bit better in my view.

I gotta agree with @MattTheDuck. The first copy seems to be more vivid and I do look at page color. Especially if I'm upgrading, I would go for the first one. I'd rather pay a little extra for what I feel is a better copy. And as stupid as it is... I look at the cert number. First copy was the first comic in the submission. The second copy was the fourth. I know it doesn't matter but it is a variable that can be used as a tiebreaker if all else fails. :banana:

The $3,999 one is the better deal.  If you dont care about White pages vs. OW.  Not sure if either is charging tax or shipping which may add 10% or if the deals are all in.  It sounds like you can work with the Shortboxed team as well on cost.  Congrats.  Either way, a huge key!!

I try to use the two blue colors of the CGC label as a way to get a read on which picture or scan is truest to color.    I think the WP/IG copy is reading as brighter because the scan is a bit hotter - you can't even really see the CGC text/icon in the light blue section.   And the OW/W copy (right) may be a slightly darker than true color.    I would bet that in hand they are close to the same.

For me - the sales tax difference would put the OWW/Shortboxed sale at about the same price as the WP/IG copy.    I can't really see the staining on the cover of the WP copy and I think the upper left-hand corner of that copy looks slightly less damaged.   But the OW/W copy has better alignment - there is a bit more roll on the WP when you look at the back (but both have a little bit)

Both look great for a 6.5.   If they were within $200 of the same price all in - I would take the WP given the premium some people are willing to pay for white.  

Screenshot2024-04-14at6_39_17AM.thumb.png.45692ff35eb78a0b3634cbcda5eac9eb.png

Just my personal opinion, CGC must be getting more lenient, neither one of those books appears to be FN+ 6.5 to me, for me, the 1st indication was the spine roll and the overall corner/edge/spine wear, guess that's why everyone says "buy the book, not the grade".

It apparently comes down to the individual interpretation of "slight, light and minor".

FN/VF 7.0 - The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break.  Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present.

FN 6.0 - A minor spine roll is allowed. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, 

VG/FN 5.0 - A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed.  Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present

On 4/14/2024 at 9:54 AM, DC# said:

I try to use the two blue colors of the CGC label as a way to get a read on which picture or scan is truest to color.    I think the WP/IG copy is reading as brighter because the scan is a bit hotter - you can't even really see the CGC text/icon in the light blue section.   And the OW/W copy (right) may be a slightly darker than true color.    I would bet that in hand they are close to the same.

For me - the sales tax difference would put the OWW/Shortboxed sale at about the same price as the WP/IG copy.    I can't really see the staining on the cover of the WP copy and I think the upper left-hand corner of that copy looks slightly less damaged.   But the OW/W copy has better alignment - there is a bit more roll on the WP when you look at the back (but both have a little bit)

Both look great for a 6.5.   If they were within $200 of the same price all in - I would take the WP given the premium some people are willing to pay for white.  

Screenshot2024-04-14at6_39_17AM.thumb.png.45692ff35eb78a0b3634cbcda5eac9eb.png

Very good break down and kind of summarizes my views.

I would go with the WP copy. 

Good luck. 

I would just like to say, "Thank you!", to everyone who offered their sage advice. (thumbsu

I put a down payment of $1,500 on the IG book; I will have two additional payments to make at the end of the month and the middle of next month. I won't have to pay any sales tax or shipping fees.