• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 3
13 13

194 posts in this topic

Grades in just under the wire as per usual. "Don't Fear the Reaper" starting to play on my Siri just as I paste my grades and am about to hit send fills me with even more dread than Mike's cryptic emojis...

On 4/30/2024 at 3:11 PM, Cman429 said:

Grades in just under the wire as per usual. "Don't Fear the Reaper" starting to play on my Siri just as I paste my grades and am about to hit send fills me with even more dread than Mike's cryptic emojis...

Blue Oyster Cult is so, so much more than just that song. "Cities of Flame....with Rock & Roll", "Godzilla", "Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars", "Imaginos" (the whole album) are the works of a great band. Explore your mind!

• Administrator

This round is closed.  The reveal is coming in a few, followed by the graders notes.  I am hopeful I can post the results shortly after 12:00 PM tomorrow.  The round 4 thread will be posted in about an hour.  Here is some appropriate music for the majority this round.  I think.  hm

I have been waiting the better part of two days to ask: what the heck is this?  It is a weird place for a crease/printer's crease.  It is visible without zooming and I figure at least three inches long, although it is very faint. At the very least it is some sort of scuff/ink loss.  In any case, I think this is an example of a defect that would be easier to grade in hand.  I am not confident about how I graded this book because of this defect.  If it is treated as a four inch colour breaking crease I think I am in trouble. I'll find out in a moment I guess.

Cap 192 defect.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 7:00 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

I have been waiting the better part of two days to ask: what the heck is this?  It is a weird place for a crease/printer's crease.  It is visible without zooming and I figure at least three inches long, although it is very faint. At the very least it is some sort of scuff/ink loss.  In any case, I think this is an example of a defect that would be easier to grade in hand.  I am not confident about how I graded this book because of this defect.  If it is treated as a four inch colour breaking crease I think I am in trouble. I'll find out in a moment I guess.

Cap 192 defect.jpg

Uh-oh. doh!

• Administrator

ROUND 3

Flash #122

Chip out right center front cover

Very small wear all corners

Spine stress lines

Spidey #79

Small crease top back cover

Spine stress lines

Captain America #192

Very light spine stress lines break color

Very light wear right top front cover breaks color

Secret Wars #8

Light spine stress lines break color

Light indent bottom front cover

Staple rust with stains at centerfold

Next Men #21

Very light spine stress lines break color

Very small, very light crease left top back cover

Welp…a full grade tougher on the flash and the secret wars, but within 1 of all the others.  Surprised that the flash with the chunk out would score an 8. Also read and reread the cgc guide on staple rust and thought 7 was fair given the otherwise decent shape of the book. Still, will take the 7 after the last two brutal rounds.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 7:02 PM, JollyComics said:

Uh-oh. doh!

Thank you for pointing it out. I should’ve noticed it. Good job. I was thinking about giving it 9.4 but it’s too nice so I gave 9.6.  2 points ouch.

i checked the grader note. That defect is not mentioned. I was not paying attention enough.

Edited by JollyComics