• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 3
13 13

194 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:50 AM, Axelrod said:

I would have called those staples a "major" defect all day every day.  I think there is zero chance the book gets a grade like that if the defect was visible.....

It WAS easily visible. The full top stable is rusted all around. 

Screenshot_20240430_181617_Chrome.jpg.9b60b6f72f4f524dc8c3aa5d18d8920e.jpg

Edited by jcjames

On 5/1/2024 at 6:05 AM, TSwift25 said:

I too was surprised by the SW 8 grade. I had it at 7.0.

I have the CGC grading guide and this is what it said regarding rusted staples and rust migration. I know there's the famous Action 1 with the rusty staples in 8.5 and I've seen slightly rusted staples in VF range grades, but I thought that rust migration would (1) put it at best in the F/VF category (and that book to me is otherwise 9.4/9.6) and (2) would warrant a graders note on the label that the rust had migrated to the centerfold. Frankly, if there was ever a situation for a "qualified" grade with a rusted staple, that book may be it. For reference, here are the applicable pages from the grading guide:

image.thumb.jpeg.35f31d2bdcdfacb350085578c38d3bde.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa9a88ee8ec611d78ef1e9aa08c79da2.jpeg

I didn't realize there was a published CGC grading guide! hm

Not that I'd use it over OSGG which I prefer.

But for contests like this, the CGC guide could come in handy - though again, not so much for the SW8 book. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, jcjames said:

But for contests like this, the CGC guide could come in handy - though again, not so much for the SW8 book. 

A fair point to mention: OSGG does not allow rust migration at 8.0, however by 7.5 it says that "slight rust migration is allowed".  Both guides are close on this, but I think it really comes down to how you define "slight".

Edited by Cerebus3000

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 5:19 PM, Kramerica said:

2 Bulls and 5 points. It's against my religion for a book with both rusty staples in the process of migrating to get anything above a 6.0/6.5. 

Forgot this closed last night and just getting to this.  (That makes 3 rounds in a row I forgot and didn't look at the reveal until the following day I must be losing it (: .)  Same for me...my BEST ROUND yet!!  2 bulls, two ones (.2 off) and a 3 on the SW8 :tonofbricks:.  Shocked frankly that got an 8.0...I'd sure be not happy if I was paying 8.0 money for that book.  I like Kramerica and I'm sure many others could not relegate that above a 6.0 which is what I gave it.

EDIT.  Oops my math was off...4 points for the SW8 which gives me a 6...tied with ROUND 1 for my best round.

Oh and BTW I felt the 6.0 for SW8 was generous (or perhaps rounding up to what CGC would grade as)...that defect is so bad/pronounced that I couldn't in all clear conscience grade/sell that book for more than a 4.0. :sumo:

Edited by trmoore54

On 5/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, jcjames said:

I have both.  I need to see their insights.

rantrantThis is getting embarrassing and quite humbling. I'm old school grading and grade books the same, whether they're Golden or Modern.

The Flash 122 graded  an 8.0 with a front cover piece out on the right side? My grade 6.0.

The Secret Wars 8 was a crime. Graded an 8.0 with rusty staples and paper degradation at the centerfold? I can see the paper further deteriorating over time. My grade 4.5.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, misterrmystery said:

The Flash 122 graded  an 8.0 with a front cover piece out on the right side? My grade 6.0.

:cheers:

5 points - now if we could just do some Olympic scoring and throw out the best round and worst round.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 10:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

5 points, 2 bullseyes. I was too harsh on the SW8, gave it a 7.0.

@Jesse-Lee Same for me! Really surprised at the outcome. I thought CGC hits harder on rusted staples 

Edited by Bmattioli86

Ug, got an unofficial 7 points this round to balloon up to 16 overall. Had 1 for each except for the SW 8 where I was way too harsh on the rusted staples. 

I had that SW8 a lot lower than actual grade.  Those staples were bad and with paper migration.

Flash #122 - 7.0 (8.0) -2

Spidey #79 - 9.0 (9.2) -1

Captain America #192 - 9.2 (9.2)

Secret Wars #8 - 6.5 (8.0) -3

Next Men #21 - 9.4 (9.4)

Total -6

This contest has made me re-evaluate how harshly I grade a lot of my books. I put 6.5 on the SW #8 and I thought I was being generous. It was a 2 point bump from what I would have graded it if I owned it.

A few years ago I sold a raw FF #48 that had a lower staple with just a bit of rust on it (no migration) and I graded it 5.0. It was a really nice glossy book otherwise. I think it had one slight corner bend also. Now I'm thinking about how much money I probably lost. :frown: