• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh Ebay, it's just so funny sometimes.
2 2

19 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2024 at 8:18 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Which will you take?

The top one looks better to me but I'm put off by the outrageous shipping charge.

:mad:

On 4/28/2024 at 7:51 AM, Mutie Fan said:

Right? I hate feeling like I'm being taken advantage of with high shipping. :shiftyeyes:

What do you consider high shipping?  USPS keeps raising prices  

On 4/28/2024 at 5:32 AM, Kevin76 said:

What do you consider high shipping?  USPS keeps raising prices  

Indeed. The problem is often, sellers pop up the actual cost of shipping a bit to compensate for fees.

Big auction houses often pad the cost of shipping with a handling fee for the same reason.

Everybody wants to squeeze as much as they can on every sale.

I always figure shipping cost, handling, buyer’s premium and taxes into my bids. Coupled with the frenzy of “being a winner”, I usually lose a lot of auctions. 

Posted (edited)

I was being facetious. More about the price of the book itself being so high. $15 to ship a high dollar slab like this one is actually fairly reasonable to me. Assuming it's properly packed, insured, has tracking and all that. Not just slapping a half dozen forever stamps on the front of a slab and praying. 

Edited by Mutie Fan
spelling

FYI, Qualitycomix contacted me via eBay.   They checked the inventory and found the copy.  Asked me for the link but I instructed them how to find it by eBay engine search and look for the item number. Click the link - Report this item right above the item number.

It should be done in one or two days. I noticed that listing was posted since May 2022. No one noticed it not even Qualitycomix until now.

On 4/28/2024 at 5:24 PM, Mutie Fan said:

I was being facetious. More about the price of the book itself being so high. $15 to ship a high dollar slab like this one is actually fairly reasonable to me. Assuming it's properly packed, insured, has tracking and all that. Not just slapping a half dozen forever stamps on the front of a slab and praying. 

If it's insured the seller is losing money at a $15 shipping charge. Shipping a well-protected slab from the East Coast to the West Coast is over $13 now with zero insurance for just USPS shipping.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 10:17 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

If it's insured the seller is losing money at a $15 shipping charge. Shipping a well-protected slab from the East Coast to the West Coast is over $13 now with zero insurance for just USPS shipping.

Actually I sent a slab from California to Virginia a few weeks ago for $6.33, USPS Ground Advantage W/ $100 insurance.

Edited by fifties

On 5/1/2024 at 6:46 PM, fifties said:

Actually I sent a slab from California to Virginia a few weeks ago for $6.33, USPS Ground Advantage W/ $100 insurance.

Was it a high-dollar slab insured like the one we've been talking about? $100 insurance is automatically included, so there's $0 additional cost there. Above that, you get charged.

Also, how was yours packed? I find your total amount claim dubious since one side has to be over the 12" threshold for cubic weight surcharges.

How big was the package? I can't ship a loose Star Wars or GI Joe figure in a 4oz package from South Carolina to California for less than $5.

Again, it seems dubious.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:56 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Was it a high-dollar slab insured like the one we've been talking about? $100 insurance is automatically included, so there's $0 additional cost there. Above that, you get charged.

Also, how was yours packed? I find your total amount claim dubious since one side has to be over the 12" threshold for cubic weight surcharges.

How big was the package? I can't ship a loose Star Wars or GI Joe figure in a 4oz package from South Carolina to California for less than $5.

Again, it seems dubious.

I have no reason to lie.  It was a $160 slabbed book, sent in a small box mailer of the type used to send comic books, 1" thick. 

And BTW, your statement, "Shipping a well-protected slab from the East Coast to the West Coast is over $13 now with zero insurance for just USPS shipping" is not only incorrect, but did not state any particular value of the book.

Here's proof of the cost.

Untitled.png

On 5/1/2024 at 7:14 PM, fifties said:

I have no reason to lie.  It was a $160 slabbed book, sent in a small box mailer of the type used to send comic books, 1" thick. 

And BTW, your statement, "Shipping a well-protected slab from the East Coast to the West Coast is over $13 now with zero insurance for just USPS shipping" is not only incorrect, but did not state any particular value of the book.

Here's proof of the cost.

Untitled.png

Again, the conversation was about a high-value book. Read through the recent posts, please.

So you didn't insure the slab for the full amount. That affects the shipping cost, obviously.

1" thick mailer? Like a Gemini mailer? That's NOT a well-protected slab, sorry to inform you.

What were the actual dimensions of the package?

On 5/1/2024 at 4:47 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Again, the conversation was about a high-value book. Read through the recent posts, please.

So you didn't insure the slab for the full amount. That affects the shipping cost, obviously.

1" thick mailer? Like a Gemini mailer? That's NOT a well-protected slab, sorry to inform you.

What were the actual dimensions of the package?

You made a generalized statement, which prompted my response.  IDK what a Gemini mailer is, but this one had corrugated cardboard all around, and an extra cardboard inside. The slab just fit, so it's dimensions were just slightly larger.

I've been selling & mailing comic books for 25 years, and not once have ever had a complaint about packing.