• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are collectors?
3 3

How old are comic collectors?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s see how old comic collectors are

• 14 and under
    • 15 to 19
    • 20 to 24
    • 25 to 29
    • 30 to 34
    • 35 to 39
    • 40 to 44
    • 45 to 49
    • 50 to 54
    • 55 to 59
    • 60 to 64
    • 65 to 69
    • 70 and older

182 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2024 at 11:23 AM, Dave2739 said:

I'd be curious to see who voted in each age group. I'll be 50 in November, for the record.

49 in July. :yeehaw:

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 4:24 PM, Chip Cataldo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

me324.thumb.jpg.ac5e6820a091e858803e5f04e63d7937.jpg

52 here as of last month.

40% of the boardies here are 52 this year as far as I can tell based on prior posts in other threads.

Edited by the blob

mowed plenty of yards when I was a kid and would take all the money I earned and would go to the flee market and spend it all on comics :bigsmile:

then wait for my dad to come home and see me in my room reading them and get the usual I see your reading funny books again speech lol

A bit older than I expected...the highest percentage is in my age group which kind of surprised me. That being said, I'm confident if you conducted the same poll on some of the large Comic Book discussion groups on Facebook the results would be MUCH younger...probably more in the 35-40 range.

Wow cool to see the range of ages lol! I feel so young haha!

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 12:47 PM, universal soldier said:

my dad's dental office

I never met a dentist’s kid who was also a paperboy. Truthfully while I look back wistfully at those days you were lucky. Pulling 170 Sunday Dem Ocrat and Chronicle’s on an old wooden toboggan through 15 or so inches of snow sucked.

Empire Comics on Mt. Hope in Rochester got all my paper route money. 

Edited by ThothAmon
Won’t let me say Dem Ocrat, what are we 3?

Posted (edited)

49 and still God's gift to women. 

I'm not surprised at the age range here as forums appeal to the old but not oldest crowd (the pulp email rings or APAs I'm in have a yet older crowd).  Facebook might be a tad younger, but the kids are on entirely different sorts of media I'm not even remotely familiar with. 

I'd like to think I'm not driven by nostalgia (seeing as how a majority of what I collect is c.1950 or before), but I'll be damned if I'm not starting go all twinkly eyed at the comics and magazines of my youth.

On the other hand, as I go through my high school punk/indy record collection one record at a time choosing which to sell to make more space for records I listen to now, I do find myself thinking "I liked this?!?!"  More than half I listen to still sound good, though, and I'll take 'em to the grave. (hopefully not soon :yeehaw:)

Edited by Darwination

On 5/2/2024 at 11:02 PM, Inhuman Fiend said:

...I'm confident if you conducted the same poll on some of the large Comic Book discussion groups on Facebook the results would be MUCH younger...probably more in the 35-40 range.

But are they Gold and Silver Age collectors? I'm guessing that the 35-40 year olds who post strictly on Facebook are not because the bulk of comic book "discussion" on Facebook is not dedicated to Gold and Silver comics.

(shrug)

On 5/3/2024 at 10:54 AM, Darwination said:

I'm not surprised at the age range here as forums appeal to the old but not oldest crowd (the pulp email rings or APAs I'm in have a yet older crowd).  Facebook might be a tad younger, but the kids are on entirely different sorts of media I'm not even remotely familiar with. 

What's an APA?

On 5/3/2024 at 10:54 AM, Darwination said:

I'd like to think I'm not driven by nostalgia (seeing as how a majority of what I collect is c.1950 or before), but I'll be damned if I'm not starting go all twinkly eyed at the comics and magazines of my youth.

What's wrong with nostalgia? It's a perfectly natural phenomenon and is what prompted the explosion in comic, bubble gum card, Barbie doll, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony, etc, etc. collecting in the last fifty years.

:preach:

On 5/3/2024 at 11:58 AM, Hepcat said:

What's an APA?

What's wrong with nostalgia? It's a perfectly natural phenomenon and is what prompted the explosion in comic, bubble gum card, Barbie doll, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony, etc, etc. collecting in the last fifty years.

:preach:

APA is an amateur press association, one of the tentpoles of comics fandom since 1964!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPA-alpha