• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are collectors?
3 3

How old are comic collectors?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s see how old comic collectors are

• 14 and under
    • 15 to 19
    • 20 to 24
    • 25 to 29
    • 30 to 34
    • 35 to 39
    • 40 to 44
    • 45 to 49
    • 50 to 54
    • 55 to 59
    • 60 to 64
    • 65 to 69
    • 70 and older

182 posts in this topic

I don't think there's anything wrong with nostalgia.  I do think it can cloud minds in terms of artistic merit and whatnot, but that's definitely not what collecting is about for most people.  I love to see the joy on all sorts of threads around here as eyes mist over looking at the comics and collectibles of our youth.

Honestly, though, I'll admit I get a little bored with the old timers who get stuck in their particular glory day of music and comics. I like much older and much newer music, fiction, and art than just the stuff from my formative years. No time period has a monopoly on the good stuff :kidaround:

On 5/2/2024 at 8:55 AM, Robot Man said:

My weirdest job (and I’ve had a few) was in the late ‘60’s. I spent the summer at a friend’s parent’s house in Lake Tahoe. We both got a job from 11pm-8am (yes, graveyard shift) at the morgue. Our job was to wash up bodies. Put on a mask and rubber gloves, pull out the drawers and sponge bath dead folks.

Was a bit creepy at first but we got over it pretty quick. The advantages were, we could have long hair and were pretty much unsupervised. There was often not a lot of work so we could burn a joint and play cards and listen to any music we wanted. Our hours were great because we could have most of the day and evenings off and didn’t work weekends. Also, where most kids were working in fast food or gas stations for $2-4 an hour we made $8. an hour. A lot of money for teenagers. 

There just has to be the foundation of a good EC comic book story with this summer job!

On 5/2/2024 at 6:27 AM, Marty Mann said:

While I did deliver newspapers during my seventeenth summer in Scranton, my best moneymaking years were 1944 and

1945 shining shoes on the streets of Newark, NJ.

That was right around the time I was gettin' born in Queens Borough, N.Y.  :wink:

On 5/3/2024 at 1:37 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Huh, I just realized that most of my entertainment budget still goes to comics and GI Joe toys.  :whistle:

Good thing too! Leaves less money for destructive personal habits.

:wink: