• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearances - just the comic equivalent of rookie cards? Oh and post a cover of a 1st appearance book in your collection
7 7

309 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 8:02 AM, BA773 said:

If your want to assemble a nice collection of last appearence, i recommand you to look on the side of "Injustice" and "Dceased".

The death of nightwing especially is really well orchestrated and could be a good investment.

You do know that "injustice" and "DCeased" are not canon right, and that "deaths" of any major comic book characters are virtually non-existent?  There are many well written "death" stories, like the death of Superman by kryptonite in BM: Holy Terror, but that doesn't make it a good investment.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, The Auditer said:

You can't be serious 😆

Sadly, he probably is.  Here are some of his recommendations.

On 5/9/2024 at 5:41 AM, BA773 said:

If you want to make money, here is a list of comics you cant miss >

5. Batman #500, anniversary issue, great cover with silver foil, really valuable for collector!

Batman_500.jpg.71b4967a022fcde49921d093808cd0f0.jpg

4. ASM vol.2 #1, what could be best than a new number 1 to make profits?

730791.jpg.8f7a387e0bc7bd4dbe095908f9704714.jpg

3. Death of Superman, one of the greatest event in comics history, in the 90s they were all spoke of it trough the media.

superman-751.jpg.f9235d06e2b37e5fb733b0f331727292.jpg

2. Cable #1, The debut of a new hero in his own title, with gold foil cover, really popular in the hobby.

5745839.jpg.ed4ed3d8a5e919a2cdd9187da7fbce93.jpg

1. No hesitation, same argument that Spiderman but here in addition you get an absolutely wonderful art by one of the greatest talent: MR Rob Liefeld.

652801.jpg.e151631b64081a94c49ca2b83a2a0f32.jpg

Hope it helped :peace:

Edited by Semicentennial

On 5/8/2024 at 6:43 PM, MattrixAlien said:

1st appearance comics are some of the most expensive & prized books in the hobby. But some suggest they are just the comic version of sport rookie cards.

What's your take on this? Also post the cover of a 1st appearance book in your PC if you like :)

My recent thoughts on this might sound like I'm on substances :bigsmile: Rookie cards are basically a photo of a real world sports person. A comic 1st appearance is the beginning, or birth of the character as an entity who exists in the pages of the book. So to me comic 1st appearances are more significant. Thoughts? 

Here's my most recent 1st appearance key pick up - New Mutants Annual 2.
Strictly speaking Psylocke (X-men) and Meggan (original Excalibur team member) 1st appeared in UK comics but this is their 1st US appearance.

I can see the similarities between the two.  I think a 1st appearance where the character doesn't appear on the cover would be equivalent to maybe a multi-player rookie card, and a 1st appearance with a cover appearance would be equivalent to single player card front rookie card.  Modern books with multiple cover variant 1st appearances would be equivalent to modern day sports card rookies with the various different refractors and chase cards.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:29 PM, Semicentennial said:

On 5/9/2024 at 8:41 AM, BA773 said:

1. No hesitation, same argument that Spiderman but here in addition you get an absolutely wonderful art by one of the greatest talent: MR Rob Liefeld.

652801.jpg.e151631b64081a94c49ca2b83a2a0f32.jpg

O.o

How can a "wonderfully talented" artist mess up human anatomy so badly?

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/10/2024 at 10:24 PM, Hepcat said:

O.o

How can a "wonderfully talented" artist mess up human anatomy so badly?

???

To be fair, as much as I don't love his art I have to acknowledge that his art to a significant degree defines 1990s art.  Despite his lack of technical ability he still brought something to the art form, helped sell millions of comics and attracted a lot of fans.

No, for me comics with first appearances are not much like rookie sports cards.  Comics are a creative medium involving story, art, and their creators, things that sports rookie cards are lacking.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:49 PM, MR SigS said:

1st Louise Simonson.

Bah, that's the ret-con.  :preach: (Though a happy one, from all evidence.)