• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live May 2024
3 3

161 posts in this topic

An interesting array of art on sale today. I was fortunate to pick up a couple of favorites from my want list, so very happy with the event.
In going through the sold listings (as of now) exactly two thirds of the sold art was under $1k.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:43 AM, -m said:

An interesting array of art on sale today. I was fortunate to pick up a couple of favorites from my want list, so very happy with the event.
In going through the sold listings (as of now) exactly two thirds of the sold art was under $1k.

That's what I expected. There's a lot of complaints about dealer tactics and pricing.

Come to find many collectors offering art for sale above $1000 see their stuff as singularity rare and worthy of aspirational pricing. 

There's some good stuff $1000 and ⬇️. I'd recommend wading in the shallow waters.

On 5/11/2024 at 9:57 AM, cloud cloddie said:

Gotta say, kinda bored with the selection this go around. Plenty showed up in my want list search results, but nothing that really stuck out. The page I liked the most is 3 times what the last comp sold for, so hard pass. But bought a cheap page and probably getting a commission.

Yep.

Posted (edited)

90’s Bad Girl art wasn’t heavily represented in the less than $2500 range, so there wasn’t much for me to ponder. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

However, I did manage to instantly love a cover from Damn Them All #1 by Dani

IMG_7517.thumb.jpeg.c0139a5eada14aacb745d9ac056e495e.jpeg

Which is normally outside of my collecting focus, but it did speak to my Graphic Design sensibilities due to a neat Saul Bass movie poster style of cover design. I pondered and researched for an hour or so and thought the asking price was fair, so I pulled the pin. 

Edited by Dr. Balls

Personally, I was happy. This was the first time I ever found something on CAF Live to buy, and when I asked the seller, he had a second from the same book. Neither piece would interest most collectors, so they were pretty cheap. I hope nothing really hot pops up tomorrow which I will feel compelled to skip. That does tend to happen. 

Posted (edited)

It feels a bit slower than past years, where I usually am juggling buying and selling - pick up a handful and sell more than a handful but not so this time

Buying - made an offer on a nice piece and contemplating an expensive one - one I had on my short list did sell which was good to see and saved me some $

Selling - below is my booth, I generally reduced price on pieces that have been available in the past - and have some nice fresh stuff (at least I liked it enough to buy it) - my buyers so far are from Europe.

Comicartfans :: Comic Art Live :: Booth :: Art for the Ages

I was going to dig around and add some more on Sunday...

Maybe Como has distracted some serious collectors?

Search feature is great so no excuse not to look for your wants!

Mark

Edited by mtlevy1

On 5/12/2024 at 2:41 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

If you still deal in comics, especially slabs of SA, BA, CA- you know the market has tanked on all keys by 50-75% off their Covid Highs, returning to 2019 levels.  Marvel movie hype is DEAD. But adjustments in pricing on OA relative to the commodities market of CGC books is much more resistant. The birth page nonsense hyped in the OA market the last couple of years was an extension of all that, and is going to end badly for the last guy that holds, but no one wants to take the loss. But everything else besides, those 4-5K BA pages that shot up during Covid were $1500 in 2018-2019 and not moving too fast. Now dealers have a new problem: They have to continue to prop up the market, but they also can't get material as readily because no one that bought in the last 5 years is will to take the loss or risk of a loss on a flip or trade. HA inventory is highly dependent on estate auctions.  Boomers dying is forcing material to come to market and dealers have to bid it all up to maintain price perception, and win enough to show fresh inventory. Their natural advantage of not paying tax and paying with consignments keeps it all moving, but the velocity of those dollars has to have slowed down. 

You do realize you have described a way of how Tulipmania can start?

On 5/12/2024 at 6:39 AM, Rick2you2 said:

You do realize you have described a way of how Tulipmania can start?

:foryou: start? We’ve been taking about this in various threads for 5 years.

On 5/12/2024 at 2:41 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Now dealers have a new problem: They have to continue to prop up the market, but they also can't get material as readily because no one that bought in the last 5 years is will to take the loss or risk of a loss on a flip or trade. 

There are so many pages from the weekly Heritage auctions that show up on dealer sites or CAF resellers for insane prices. Several pieces I've sent to auctions over the last few years sold wicked cheap, like way under $100 and they all sit of dealer sites for 5, 6, or 10x what they paid 

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 8:34 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

There are so many pages from the weekly Heritage auctions that show up on dealer sites or CAF resellers for insane prices. Several pieces I've sent to auctions over the last few years sold wicked cheap, like way under $100 and they all sit of dealer sites for 5, 6, or 10x what they paid 

check the flip thread- there's a Romita piece in comicart-live right now that sold in the Wednesday HA and is marked up double. it hasn't shipped, probably hasn't even been paid for. Are they high? 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

There are some funky actors (I had to look up that Romita page on HA for myself, wild), but I do appreciate there are a lot of collector-first’s who are posting things at what they’d be willing to sell and/or maybe taking a swing based on auctions.

AND it’s the one day of the year the Donnelly’s have prices AND AND they are not too crazy in comparison to everything O.o