• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CPR for this ASM 129?

7 posts in this topic

I'm headed to Comic Con this weekend, and was wondering if I should re-submit this Sig Series (Gerry Conway) book to get cracked, pressed, and re-graded.

I thought the grade came back really low on this (3.5), so thought I'd see what you guys think this grade should be.

One thing to note that you can't see in the photos:  there is a SMALL piece of tape on the cover (that was the fault of the facilitator when I had this initially graded several years ago).  It is small, but it is noted on the comments.

I'm not really sure how much the small piece of tape on the cover will affect its grade.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

You should give the grader notes when asking such a question. C/P can only help with surface grime and non-color breaking bends & whatnot. I see a lot of color-breaking creases, staple tears, small stains and maybe even fading on the left side of the cover. From everything I've seen & heard, CCS is most effective with routine C/P, nto major overhails that might get a 1-grade boost. It's not clear to me that there's much of a case to be made that getting a higher grade is probable.

On 5/13/2024 at 4:05 PM, Q.N.S. said:

I'm struggling to see the tape. Is it on the top of the spine? 

No - it's on the front of the cover, but is really hard to see.  When the CGC facilitator took the book out of the bag, the tape sealing the bag got stuck to the cover.  When they tried to remove the tape, part of the cover came off with it, so we put the tape back on.  Figured that was better than a piece of the cover missing.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:22 AM, Danger Haggis said:

No - it's on the front of the cover, but is really hard to see.  When the CGC facilitator took the book out of the bag, the tape sealing the bag got stuck to the cover.  When they tried to remove the tape, part of the cover came off with it, so we put the tape back on.  Figured that was better than a piece of the cover missing.

So it has a tape pull and tape. Oof. 

It presents well for a 3.5, so there's always a chance you get a friendly grader but between the tape, fading, and creases I'm not seeing much that says "A clean and press will fix this"

Ok, thank for the input everyone.  I agree it presents well for a 3.5.  This was the first book I ever got graded (I wasn't aware at the time there was such a thing as pressing), and the person that handled the book at CGC totally turned me off of submitting anything for a long time because of that tape pull.

I guess I won't waste my time/energy/money doing a re-submit.  I totally appreciate all of your input!