• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
10 10

290 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2024 at 8:37 PM, Crowzilla said:

Looks like someone turned the '77 catalog from Chuck's website into a spreadsheet, nice. https://www.milehighcomics.com/catalog/page03big.html

Deffinitely a lot easier on the eyes than that teeny teeny tiny print that Chuck had used and probably one of the reasons my eyes are so bad now.  lol

For all of you Fox collectors out there, kind of funny that the most expensive issue in the entire Wonderworld (WW) run was his origin issue in WW 11 at a whopping $150 while the first appearance issue in WW 3 was priced at only $90 or the same as WW 8, while the now much sought after WW 7 came in at only $70.  :o  :takeit:

On 9/19/2024 at 3:10 AM, sfcityduck said:

Great catch. Yeah, it does. Someone should page Zaid (beyond my skill set), because it likely means this comic is a court copy that was used as an exhibit in Detective Comics, Inc. v. Bruns Publications, Inc., 111 F.2d 432 (2d Cir. 1940) - the famous lawsuit by DC against Fox that put Wonder Man out of business in an attempt to stomp Superman imitators - or was a copy used by one of the legal teams.

This is a really historically important book. And the guy who specializes in this sort of thing - yeah it is Zaid.

PS: I realize I can post too much. It's a flaw. Just enjoy sharing the many bits of info, perhaps trivia, that I've acquired from a lifetime of enjoying this hobby. And on other threads I can fall prey to the weakness of enjoying an argument. Feel free to let me know if I'm thread bombing. My wife's telling me to give it a rest.

Thanks for ensuring I knew about this book. I've been trying to buy a Wonder Comics #1 for years. This issue is not THE court copy that was used in the litigation. I could swear I recall seeing the stamped copy a few years ago in some auction. Whether this issue could have been owned by someone associated with the litigation, who knows! Certainly could be. But could also be just some kid who wrote the text! Still an historic book! 

On 10/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, rob_react said:

https://itsalljustcomics.com/2016/04/07/edgar-church-collection-data-released/

"After a little over 15 months, countless hours of my own time and 30+ hours of paid assistance, I've finally gotten the Edgar Church Collection Data project to a point where I can release it.

What have I done so far? I've merged the original master list with an old list of CGC grades for the collection. On top of that I've added (with the aforementioned assistance) dates and publishers to over 99% of the titles.

I underestimated how long this would take when I started this in 2014. That's one of the reasons I ended up hiring folks to help out. I just wanted to get it to this point so that when I add/updated data it's already in a format that people can use. Even now we've identified some areas of the data that need double checking. I just didn't want to wait any longer. I'm never going to get to 100% accuracy, so holding out to move the needle from 95% to 97% before releasing it seemed like nonsense.

Right now the project offers two different options for end users:

Please check it out. At this point I'm actively soliciting errata and additions. If you're Github savvy, please just open issues on Github. If not, feel free to email me with any updates or corrections.

The data is released under an Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license. Which means it's free to use (even commercially) as long as you give me proper attribution."

This deserves to be in it's own thread rather than buried as a post here. 

Such great info you have compiled!!!! (worship)

On 10/12/2024 at 3:17 PM, adamstrange said:

This deserves to be in it's own thread rather than buried as a post here. 

Such great info you have compiled!!!! (worship)

I'm going to do a YouTube video talking about the data and the project. I'll post it here to revive Interest. It's been fun to drive back in!

On 10/14/2024 at 4:04 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought this one would go a little higher.

Screenshot_20241014-035745.png

Thank goodness I wasn't watching.

Would have been too hard to resist as an impulse buy. I'd say condering the year and condition, that slipped through the cracks amongst all the other goodies in this offering 

On 10/14/2024 at 6:34 AM, sagii said:

Thank goodness I wasn't watching.

Would have been too hard to resist as an impulse buy. I'd say condering the year and condition, that slipped through the cracks amongst all the other goodies in this offering 

I can’t remember ever getting an “impulse buy” at a HA auction…

On 10/14/2024 at 10:42 AM, Robot Man said:

I can’t remember ever getting an “impulse buy” at a HA auction…

Every now and then i'll spot something while i'm watching and waiting for my lot to come up that I 'missed' during my initial look over that seems to be sitting 'cheap' and I snatch it up.

Rare, but it happens.

Now whether such grabs items sit in my collection long is another story (:

On 10/14/2024 at 1:04 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought this one would go a little higher.

Screenshot_20241014-035745.png

On 10/14/2024 at 8:06 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Someone got a great deal; I would have expected that book to go for a lot more.

Totally agree with both of you here as this is indeed an absolute steal, especially considering there's only 9 graded unrestored copies of this rare issue, with this copy here being the single highest graded copy to date.  :o  

Not even sure if there's a Church copy of this particular issue to beat it since I don't see one listed in Chuck's Mile High catalogue and if I remember, was considered by Win to the rarest issue in his Windex Scarcity lisitng for the All-American run.  hm  :luhv:

I had placed a tracking bid on this lot at condition guide price which is actually not too far from this winning bid here, but then got tied up with some stupid furnace problem and missed pretty much the entire first half of the auction.  :frustrated:  :censored:

On 10/14/2024 at 1:34 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, there's no telling how high the winning bidder was willing to go.

Yep, even if I was there for the "live" bidding, my bet is that the book would have simply gone much higher and I still wouldn't have gotten it. (shrug)

On 10/15/2024 at 3:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Of course, the one part that  they got wrong is that Stephen Bissette says that the books would be sold uncertified and we clearly know that to be NOT the case at all.  doh!

The article says "The formal certification and slabbing of comic books started in 2000 with the creation of the Certified Guaranty Company (CGC), which is also grading Farrell’s comics collection for Heritage Auctions."

On 10/15/2024 at 3:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Yep, even if I was there for the "live" bidding, my bet is that the book would have simply gone much higher and I still wouldn't have gotten it. (shrug)

With so many nice books on the block around the same time, it comes down to opportunity costs. Any book I buy now will have an impact on how aggressively I can bid in the big auction.

Now, if this book had shown up in a Sunday auction after the main event, and I had struck out on the books that I like a little better* (which is extremely likely), then I would have bid on this one.

*I'm watching so many books right now that I still haven't decided which ones to go after.