• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christine Farrell - DC Collector RIP
3 3

84 posts in this topic

Earth Prime Comics was the first comic book store I ever went to, back when it was at its original location on Bank Street and you found stores in the Yellow Pages under "Books - Used and Rare" (or something like that). One summer in the early 1990s, I asked Christine for a job. She replied with, "Why should I pay you to do the work my other employees aren't doing?" I wasn't capable of coming back with anything better than, "Because it would get done?", but I sensed a twinkle in her eye and if I was more clever I might have cracked that riddle.

I didn't know she was a major collector until much, much later. I wish I had spent some time talking about comics with her.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:48 AM, ExEPC said:

No Chris never sold EPC. She just stopped physically going into her stores in the 2000s. She didn't care about selling old comics to customer just for her collection so that's why the store was only new stuff. 

Do you have any idea what will happen to her collection? I assume she had some sort of plan for the collection for when she died. It will be interesting to find out what it was.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, sfcityduck said:

Do you have any idea what will happen to her collection? I assume she had some sort of plan for the collection for when she died. It will be interesting to find out what it was.

Based on various descriptions of the collection, I'll be much more interested in books from her collection than I was in books from Levine's collection.

It'd be particularly great to see some high profile books that are genuinely fresh to market (or at least in many many decades) as opposed to yet more recycled books. 

On 5/23/2024 at 12:52 AM, sfcityduck said:

I don't and it's the saddest part for me. Her estate was very fuzzy in who was getting what. A lot was planned to go to a friend who helped her a lot. But I'm honestly very worried what will happen. If people saw how she kept her collection they would be sad. Very important comics chilling in stacks and on the floor 

On 5/23/2024 at 11:00 AM, tth2 said:

It'd be particularly great to see some high profile books that are genuinely fresh to market (or at least in many many decades) as opposed to yet more recycled books. 

Oh absolutely! Not the same old high profile stuff but the seldom seen western, teen and funny animal titles!

(thumbsu

On 5/23/2024 at 11:41 AM, ExEPC said:

If people saw how she kept her collection they would be sad. Very important comics chilling in stacks and on the floor 

But who saw how she kept her collection? Did you?

???

I don't think those very few photos taken by reporters were indicative of how she kept her comics. I'm guessing that the comics were placed that way for a more dramatic photo shoot.

(shrug)

On 5/24/2024 at 12:20 AM, Hepcat said:
On 5/23/2024 at 11:00 PM, tth2 said:

Oh absolutely! Not the same old high profile stuff but the seldom seen western, teen and funny animal titles!

(thumbsu

No, I'd like to see some high grade mega-keys that aren't actually just a pressed and regraded copy that we had already seen just a few years ago. 

On 5/23/2024 at 12:24 PM, Hepcat said:

But who saw how she kept her collection? Did you?

???

I don't think those very few photos taken by reporters were indicative of how she kept her comics. I'm guessing that the comics were placed that way for a more dramatic photo shoot.

(shrug)

I did, Im an old employee (hence the username). Those pictures were not done up for the shoot. That's how she always kept them and think of those with 30 more years of hoarding tendencies on top of that. Riddler first appearance on her bed type of mess. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:22 PM, tth2 said:

No, I'd like to see some high grade mega-keys that aren't actually just a pressed and regraded copy that we had already seen just a few years ago. 

Just catching up on this, and also very sad to hear the news of her passing. Was fortunate enough to have met her a few times back in the 90s thanks to Jay M., including a nice dinner where it was quite obvious what a fan she was of comics in general and the monetary aspect of it wasn't on her mind at all. Was able to get her a lead on a Detective #187 which was the last issue of that title (for some reason) she needed to complete the run.

In watching the video interview posted with her, I am pretty certain that the New Fun #1 in the pile under the 'Tec 25 came from me. I had gotten a very nice unrestored copy and she was interested in it as an upgrade for hers. It actually took a full weekend at a con to come to agreement on it as we did the whole deal in trade, but she was reluctant to trade me back her undercopy and Jay had to tell her to do the deal as he hadn't seen a nicer copy than the one I was offering her.

All this to say that I think we will find out she not only had a complete DC collection, but that I'm not going to be surprised if she had multiples of some of the mega-keys as she upgraded over the years and never bothered to sell under copies.

On 5/23/2024 at 5:46 PM, Crowzilla said:

Just catching up on this, and also very sad to hear the news of her passing. Was fortunate enough to have met her a few times back in the 90s thanks to Jay M., including a nice dinner where it was quite obvious what a fan she was of comics in general and the monetary aspect of it wasn't on her mind at all. Was able to get her a lead on a Detective #187 which was the last issue of that title (for some reason) she needed to complete the run.

In watching the video interview posted with her, I am pretty certain that the New Fun #1 in the pile under the 'Tec 25 came from me. I had gotten a very nice unrestored copy and she was interested in it as an upgrade for hers. It actually took a full weekend at a con to come to agreement on it as we did the whole deal in trade, but she was reluctant to trade me back her undercopy and Jay had to tell her to do the deal as he hadn't seen a nicer copy than the one I was offering her.

All this to say that I think we will find out she not only had a complete DC collection, but that I'm not going to be surprised if she had multiples of some of the mega-keys as she upgraded over the years and never bothered to sell under copies.

Wow, thanks for that information.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:48 PM, clarkkentdds said:

Excuse the repetition if this was already mentioned, but it looks like HA will sell the collection in December. 

you got a link?

On 6/11/2024 at 9:59 PM, clarkkentdds said:

Actually it’s in October.. check out current auction calendar 

Another huge win for Heritage (and CGC).  That's a whole lot of books to be slabbed by October, although of course I would imagine a lot of the collection won't be deemed to be worth slabbing.

This'll be really interesting, particularly to see what grades the various mega-keys are in.

On 6/12/2024 at 12:58 PM, Mmehdy said:

the collection is being auctioned for two full days, the real issue is will that be it or is it part 1 or .....anyone know?

I'm not sure how you can auction such a huge number of books in one auction session. Everyone's going to get worn out. And I suspect that a lot of choices will need to be made on what to bid on for most of us. 

And remember, she bought non-DC books too. Will Heritage auction those also? I'd think so. So you'd think there'd be more than one auction session.

Edited by sfcityduck