• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,700 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2024 at 8:06 PM, Ninja0215 said:

Does anyone recall what cert numbers were affected? I'm looking at my amazing spider-man 41 and I see a noticeable bend. 

Seems to be books graded end of 2023/beg of 2024 to now.  Common certs start with 43 and 44 but not all are affected apparently.

On 8/6/2024 at 9:22 PM, DanJD said:

Seems to be books graded end of 2023/beg of 2024 to now.  Common certs start with 43 and 44 but not all are affected apparently.

Ty! Some of my spidey books that were graded late 2022 and arrived early 2023 have a " frown" bend alost convex stye. Idk if that's the norm with older books or these are the victims of the well. 🙅‍♂️

On 8/6/2024 at 9:50 PM, LordRahl said:

So I just opened my Vintage sub that shipped last week. NO bent wells!!! Still TBD if this is isolated to vintage or if they have fixed the problem across the board. Moderns coming in next week that sat in G/E/I for several days so I have some hope.

Fingers crossed friend! I'd like to see this course corrected and I'll be happy to send a portion of my books to cgc. 

If I had to guess because eyes are really bad  (haha) it's maybe a small fraction of a warp. Idk how badly other books are but these are just a slight arch. 

For the record ; not making an excuse , this is still a serious issue  but I could only speak on behalf of the books I have. Others seem to be worse off. 😪

Has anyone removed the outer case from one of these warped examples?

Curious to know if the inner well stays warped...or it it flattens out like it's supposed to be?

On 8/6/2024 at 11:09 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Has anyone removed the outer case from one of these warped examples?

Curious to know if the inner well stays warped...or it it flattens out like it's supposed to be?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

On 8/6/2024 at 2:47 PM, MadGenius said:

The 8 books I sent back to CGC for pressing/reholder for the warped inner well just moved to QC. I'm scared to death to see what these will look like when I get them back. It shouldn't be this way...

My reholder submission has shipped today, and I should receive it Friday. These books were supposed to be pressed and regraded per my correspondence with customer service. Since nobody contacted me about compensation for damages, I am assuming they were put into new holders and retained the same grade. A couple of them had pronounced color-breaking spine ticks so there's no way they should be the same grade now as they were before being placed into the warped inner wells. I will make another update once I have them in hand, but I'm not feeling great about how this was handled.

Edited by MadGenius

On 8/7/2024 at 6:56 PM, MadGenius said:

My reholder submission has shipped today, and I should receive it Friday. These books were supposed to be pressed and regraded per my correspondence with customer service. Since nobody contacted me about compensation for damages, I am assuming they were put into new holders and retained the same grade. A couple of them had pronounced color-breaking spine ticks so there's no way they should be the same grade now and they were before being placed into the warped inner wells. I will make another update once I have them in hand, but I'm not feeling great about how this was handled.

Mine now has this status:

Service = REHOLDER COMIC
Status = Scheduled for Grading

The books I sent back were Convex-ed but no color breaking ticks.  Books all appeared to me to still be 9.8's, and I'm very strict, yet they are now SFG status. Unless that is normal when doing a ME or Re-holder? I've only done 1 ME in in past so i forget and have never done a prior re-holder in my 24 years of submitting to CGC - wow it's been nearly a quarter century, my first sub was June 2001

@MadGenius my friend, I will report back as well.
Edited by MAR1979

On 8/7/2024 at 5:56 PM, MadGenius said:

My reholder submission has shipped today, and I should receive it Friday. These books were supposed to be pressed and regraded per my correspondence with customer service. Since nobody contacted me about compensation for damages, I am assuming they were put into new holders and retained the same grade. A couple of them had pronounced color-breaking spine ticks so there's no way they should be the same grade now and they were before being placed into the warped inner wells. I will make another update once I have them in hand, but I'm not feeling great about how this was handled.

I already got mine back.  The ME was converted to a reholder.  It was re-pressed but was not re-graded.

After listening to all of your thoughts; I'm gonna call CS tomorrow and see what they say. If I have to send it back , that's what I'm gonna do. I want to explain my situation first and get their feedback. 

On 8/7/2024 at 7:27 PM, Ninja0215 said:

If I send a book for a re holder,  how do I get it repressed?  Do I have to mark it or do they have to tell me that it needs to be? 🤔

That’s what is odd.  To my knowledge, a reholder doesn’t typically get re-pressed without being regraded.  But I could be wrong.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:48 PM, DanJD said:

That’s what is odd.  To my knowledge, a reholder doesn’t typically get re-pressed without being regraded.  But I could be wrong.

That's what I thought...I'm gonna call and ask anyway. 

Just got off the phone with CS  and I was told to send photos of the book which wil be reviewed by the team. 

I was also told that it's normal for the book to bow like that which was a big red flag. When I send the photos I'm keeping my fingers crossed someone thinks that this isn't right and can do something about it.  

On 8/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, silverseeker said:

I submitted some books under the Vintage and High Value tiers in early May

Were your High Value's also Vintage, or 1975-present?

If they were Vintage is any one noticing a pattern in which Vintage seems not affected? If that is the case, no pun intended, then the question is what is different in either the process (including machinery) or physical resources/supplies utilized?  Then couple that with large submitter's of 1975-present book, like JoeyPost, not being affected - means the issue does not have to exist  nor is convex-ing or concave-ing even remotely normal, never mind not even being acceptable in any manner.

Edited by MAR1979