• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,700 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2024 at 5:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya just because I'm mid effectively participating, I was going to ask anyone who cracked one if just the inner well is pinched as opposed "bowed due to the air escaping in a seal" @wiparker824

They're not airtight. I know that!

It is just not molding to the case, and if the inner well appears fine outside of the case? then it just must not fit the case, last I posted mentioned there was a tab on the spine side at the top at least, maybe bottom too, that was "pinning the inner well" I remember that, but no one has rementioned lol 

This is why I just asked for pics, as it all sounds like semantics, and yet, a real something and not a figment etc. 

It’s not airtight but it’s definitely tighter. The old cases you’d be able to slip in a piece of paper and fish out some debris without much difficulty. That’s just not possible or at least not for me with the newer seal. To answer your question the inner well is fine once removed, flattens or returns to flat, as does the book. Of course if you have warping to the extent of causing color breaking ticks then there’s no fixing that, but if not yeah it returns to flat once removed in my experience which has only been with mild curve not as bad as some posted in this thread..

Edited by wiparker824

On 8/12/2024 at 9:23 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 8/12/2024 at 9:21 PM, Ninja0215 said:

Lol !!!  I'm already going off about this place. I idn't want to add fuel to ffire, lol

I'm not seeing white line extend to the staple - top staple?

Yes top staple, as mentioned by the other boardie the lighting doesn't cover the entire spine.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/12/2024 at 10:40 PM, wiparker824 said:

It’s not airtight but it’s definitely tighter. The old cases you’d be able to slip in a piece of paper and fish out some debris without much difficulty. That’s just not possible or at least not for me with the newer seal. To answer your question the inner well is fine once removed, flattens or returns to flat, as does the book. Of course if you have warping to the extent of causing color breaking ticks then there’s no fixing that, but if not yeah it returns to flat once removed in my experience which has only been with mild curve not as bad as some posted in this thread..

This is a fact?? That's bananas!! So, are we going off the deep end dor nothing? 🤔

On 8/12/2024 at 10:29 PM, Stuk said:

Is it just me? I find myself perusing various offerings and upcoming auctions (HA, ComicConnect, and so on), and CGC slabs I would typically Watch to potentially bid on, I am simply passing up if the Cert. begins 43... or 44...Who needs the hassle? (Not so with raw, CBCS and older CGC slabs.) And the odd part is -- I have no qualms, anxiety or second-guessing about this. It seems so obvious. It's surprisingly easy decision. Why buy what appears to be a broken product (is it not broken? somehow?); why submit books for grading and pay for a broken service (is it not broken?)? It turns out that I CAN wait until this is resolved. Maybe this will trickle.

Exactly my thinking. Although I've extended my ban to 435 series and higher.  Due to the slab issue, I've used my collectible "budget" the past 6 weeks towards slabbed vintage pre war trading cards have only purchased 2 CGC books in that time both of which are 2nd gen slabs.

Of course and this is not a humble brag , I now have $650 in grading credit, 150 which must be used by Nov. I will use that 150 towards vintage sealed video games grading. Only hoping I don't hear about issue with those type of CGC slabs...

As for comics as of this moment in time I do not see envision any future scenario where I will send mine to almost certainly be outright damaged or warped or curved or concaved in any manner. Since I Do Not Sell comics, I'll be stocking up on eGerber supplies and going back to the 1990's in effect. Although on some books I'll go with Cole clear backing boards.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/12/2024 at 9:40 PM, wiparker824 said:

But that is all the case and not the inner well?

Yes the case is tighter and more tamper proof, but the inner well didn't have to change to accomplish that? There was either a certain amount of room for an inner well or there wasn't.  Are you saying they reimaggined everything to tighten a new screws or seal better the sides?

That's why I mentioned the "tabs that are pinching the inner well to the slab, that can be seen in my pics of the cable Deadpool way back when, that in turn pin the top and bottom of the inner well to the top of the case? Causing the middle to not be pinned!" Causing the bowing, nothing to do with air imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/12/2024 at 7:43 PM, Ninja0215 said:

This is a fact?? That's bananas!! So, are we going off the deep end dor nothing? 🤔

I wouldn’t say that, like I said if you’re seeing bends to the extent of it actually causing creasing and color breaking ticks there’s reason to go off the deep end. Also I’m cracking books subbed in the last month or so. It’s hard to say what a book 10 years from now will look like if it’s in one of these curved the entire time but based on my experience with other similar things (like storing a book with a curved backing board) it will hold that shape if in there long enough. Plus even if all the damage is reversible it’s still not desirable to have a book presenting as bent. Whether it’s for your own PC or to sell, it’s not a good look. So IMO continue on in the deep end as you wish. 

On 8/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, Ninja0215 said:

So on some books if you crack it out it may be fine and thats OK? But then why pay for slabbing in the first place?  It's a huge negative selling point.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/12/2024 at 10:48 PM, wiparker824 said:

I wouldn’t say that, like I said if you’re seeing bends to the extent of it actually causing creasing and color breaking ticks there’s reason to go off the deep end. Also I’m cracking books subbed in the last month or so. It’s hard to say what a book 10 years from now will look like if it’s in one of these curved the entire time but based on my experience with other similar things (like storing a book with a curved backing board) it will hold that shape if in there long enough. Plus even if all the damage is reversible it’s still not desirable to have a book presenting as bent. Whether it’s for your own PC or to sell, it’s not a good look. So IMO continue on in the deep end as you wish. 

Will do, because no matter what the reason; this is wrong. 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it isn't the inner well heat from being sealed?

It would be hard to think the case being sealed and being further away then to heat up the inner well ???

Unless the case has more heat to seal than an inner well?

All interesting questions, and food for thought :) 

On 7/29/2024 at 8:57 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

the comic would already be in the inner well :cheers:

The comic is set in the inner well and then sealed, and I assume it is the seal that heats it up? Then as it cools it already has the book inside with whatever "happens" then happening....

I'm about to do something crazy . I'm going to send CGC one book to test the ramifications of the matter. I know I said I was thinking about sending books elsewhere ( I'm doing that also) but I have one I'm going to test this with. I'll report back here when my latest submission arrives if there are any issues. It's al part of the plan..:preach:

On 8/13/2024 at 8:40 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Call me crazy, but when dealing with a flat paper collectible - whose condition, preservation, and display are impacted by remaining flat - no amount of visible warping should be acceptable within a premium protective case.

That is the most basic of expectations I hold when considering which company to grade my books with.

This is a fact.