• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
23 23

1,648 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2024 at 5:35 AM, Axelrod said:

They have to be scrambling behind the scenes to correct this, right?

Regardless if they ever admit there was a problem (for liability reasons) they know it's bad, and they have to be trying to fix it?  Experimenting with different ways to "secure" the case that don't result in warping of the inner sleeve?

This is what I'm going to believe anyway. 

Still won't send anything until it's fixed. And, of course, that doesn't help the 1000s who have already sent and have this issue.

I thought this as well but I'm coming to the realization that they still have their head buried in the sand. Their vintage subs are coming back flat so it shouldn't be that difficult for them to fix the issue, yet they are claiming this is the New Normal. That sounds to me like a lack of willingness to fix it as opposed to a lack of knowledge of how to do it.

On 8/16/2024 at 4:23 PM, LordRahl said:

I thought this as well but I'm coming to the realization that they still have their head buried in the sand. Their vintage subs are coming back flat so it shouldn't be that difficult for them to fix the issue, yet they are claiming this is the New Normal. That sounds to me like a lack of willingness to fix it as opposed to a lack of knowledge of how to do it.

If.true and likely and easy fix...!!

I wonder which will annoy me more, being a worry wart, having a couple not so good issued slabs , or that it was an easy fix but they chose not too quickly lol

All of the above sounds like I need to eat a snickers

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/16/2024 at 5:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If.true and likely and easy fix...!!

I wonder which will annoy me more, being a worry wart, having a couple not so good issued slabs , or that it was an easy fix but the chose not too quickly lol

All of the above sounds like I need to eat a snickers

Only a few for you. It's over 1000 for the topic author.  Avoiding any book slabbed after Nov 2023 is the only way to be safe! That of course hurt$ the Author even more as potential bidding and purchasing pool is reduced.

On 8/16/2024 at 4:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

Only a few for you. It's over 1000 for the topic author.  Avoiding any book slabbed after Nov 2023 is the only way to be safe! That of course hurt$ the Author even more as potential bidding and purchasing pool is reduced.

While I don't want to go off the rails, I appreciate this response because I also don't want to minimize, and while looking to work toward a solution grasping at straws is all that avails me to that end.

Minimization isn't good, neither is constant aggravation, as one would assume we're all in the same boat, i.e. 1 book to infinity :)

Just trying to help 

Screenshot_20240816-163809.png

On 8/16/2024 at 5:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

While I don't want to go off the rails, I appreciate this response because I also don't want to minimize, and while looking to work toward a solution grasping at straws is all that avails me to that end.

Minimization isn't good, neither is constant aggravation, as one would assume we're all in the same boat, i.e. 1 book to infinity :)

Just trying to help 

Screenshot_20240816-163809.png

Looks like you have 25 Addy. How many look like bird baths in the slab?

On 8/16/2024 at 4:43 PM, electricprune said:

Looks like you have 25 Addy. How many look like bird baths in the slab?

I really wasn't trying to worry so much by looking, as it will only fuel with no outlet.

I'd much appreciate a fix, and the newton rings didn't affect me nearly as much, so this is either karma or just the roll of the dice.

It doesn't help anyone but myself to say woe is me, which I didn't think I was doing, but again don't want to minimize either, just looking for common ground mostly.

Sometimes this thread is the only reminder of it all, and while I'm grateful for it, productiveness is relative and I'd assume no one would belittle each other.

Venting is allowed and understandable 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/16/2024 at 5:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It doesn't help anyone but myself to say woe is me, which I didn't think I was doing, but again don't want to minimize either, just looking for common ground mostly.

I have to disagree with you here, Addy. The more people that make it known they have issues with the inner wells or damaged books, the better.

Now, if your slabs don’t have the problem, then that’s a good thing for you.:peace:

On 8/16/2024 at 4:56 PM, electricprune said:

I have to disagree with you here, Addy. The more people that make it known they have issues with the inner wells or damaged books, the better.

Now, if your slabs don’t have the problem, then that’s a good thing for you.:peace:

Well I'll show some empathy, as I had already relegated that it is what it is, but if my behavior shows that I should put up or shut up?

1st up sensational she hulk 4428773003

So far so good as an easy to get to, one

IMG_20240816_170421328.jpg

IMG_20240816_170321834~2.jpg

Looks flat and was a 9.6

On 8/16/2024 at 5:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I'll show some empathy, as I had already relegated that it is what it is, but if my behavior shows that I should put up or shut up?

1st up sensational she hulk 4428773003

So far so good as an easy to get to, one

IMG_20240816_170421328.jpg

IMG_20240816_170321834~2.jpg

Bottom pic is cropped of the side

This is the bday gift cert 4437426031

Hard to see in the pic but the bottom bows up a little, not sure if the book or well or both lol

Real thin book though so it didn't affect anything, otherwise perfect didn't make anything look worse

IMG_20240816_170807507.jpg

9.0 this time.worst offender. Especially from the pages side and without a flash.

All four sides this time.

While it is perfectly understandable to avoid these numbers, the only one mentioned that I noticed when I got back was the cable Deadpool.

Still an issue though. I honestly couldn't explain why others books have ripples? I would like that explained, but it'll wait for another day or.a just resolved. Happy either way.

IMG_20240816_171731296_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240816_171647861_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240816_171627778_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240816_171603991.jpg

Relatively I sympathize that it isn't with every book no matter the bow, but I was in my own head when I mentioned semantics before because now I'm noticing all of mine were really thin books.

Got lazy with pics on that last book, side pics are to hard yadda yadda why I only mentioned the cable Deadpool and haven't fished out others. 

Mistakenly more into the theory and measurements as that could prove to cgc what "is and isn't allowable" and according to them. 

In short didn't make this look worse, and I'VE NEVER SAID THESE WERE OK because 'normal slabs" don't have and shouldn't have a bow.

I do sympathize that it "affects with effects" some books more than others, all of which shouldn't be. Now who is stating things over and over for being in a corner lol. :roflmao:

Anyways...

IMG_20240816_180532846_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240816_180522448.jpg

IMG_20240816_171731296_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240816_171521322.jpg

Screenshot_20240816-183046.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/15/2024 at 8:12 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

If this is a result of trying to make the case more more secure, I feel for CGC. But unfortunately, th

The "problem" exists on many pre 2024/pre reholder scam slabs, of this I am certain (and you can be, too, just look at your 2023 slabs). That would suggest that it is NOT the result of CGC trying to fix one problem (make slabs more secure) while causing another. 

Edited by Stuk

On 8/16/2024 at 8:31 AM, MAR1979 said:

BTW this morning 4 9.8 Bronze comics in my eBay searches popped up in my email notifications, all want list books for me. Saw they were all 443 and 444 series and I deleted the emails. This is now the NEW normal for me.

I said the same thing and have been doing the same thing. I's now my norm, too. I simply pass over any book slabbed in the past year or so. I am focusing on raw books (from trusted sellers), stocking up on them for when grading stabilizes again (when CGC fixes its problems, PSA enters the conversation, etc.). I love CBCS slabs (but not the values), so I can still send purely PC books to them.

On 8/16/2024 at 8:54 PM, Stuk said:
On 8/16/2024 at 7:31 AM, MAR1979 said:

BTW this morning 4 9.8 Bronze comics in my eBay searches popped up in my email notifications, all want list books for me. Saw they were all 443 and 444 series and I deleted the emails. This is now the NEW normal for me.

I said the same thing and have been doing the same thing. I's now my norm, too. I simply pass over any book slabbed in the past year or so. I am focusing on raw books (from trusted sellers), stocking up on them for when grading stabilizes again (when CGC fixes its problems, PSA enters the conversation, etc.). I love CBCS slabs (but not the values), so I can still send purely PC books to them.

I thought  the @LordRahl boardie said vintage or bronze and older weren't the problem?

Or are we talking late 70s books?

On 8/16/2024 at 10:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought  the @LordRahl boardie said vintage or bronze and older weren't the problem?

Or are we talking late 70s books?

1975-present (aka Modern from a submission standpoint) issue is epidemic.

pre-1975 seems to be a lot less affected

Large 1975-present book submitter's, JoeyPost for example, have alluded to not being affected.

Edited by MAR1979