• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
23 23

1,668 posts in this topic

Near 800 Slabs on eBay in which the seller smugly exclaims "Newly Graded"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cgc+newly+graded&_sacat=0&_odkw=ms+marvel+23+cgc+9.8&_osacat=0

~1400 in which Seller proudly touts "New Slab"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cgc+"new+slab"&_sacat=0&_odkw=cgc+newly+graded&_osacat=0

Given their nature most who sell comics would obscure as much as possible they are 2024 slabs.  For these sellers is it: Simply oblivious? Sheer Ignorance?  Cognitive Dissonance? 

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/8/2024 at 10:34 AM, Carl Tillona said:

Before — pressed and cleaned 

IMG_1832.thumb.png.2b98c2b6c00b7324e70122a4b7f22411.png

After— CGC bending

image.thumb.png.b4e4948c4942fd71faab6930e61a5546.png

Sent two emails to CGC…no response.  

Being someone who only sells a few books here and there to fund the hobby this is not acceptable.  Plus, just sad.  This book was immaculate before.

What did CGC grade it?

On 9/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, Carl Tillona said:

After— CGC bending

Being someone who only sells a few books here and there to fund the hobby this is not acceptable.  Plus, just sad.  This book was immaculate before.

Interesting. You can definitely see where the press smoothed those tick areas before the press.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, MAY1979 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cgc+newly+graded&_sacat=0&_odkw=ms+marvel+23+cgc+9.8&_osacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cgc+"new+slab"&_sacat=0&_odkw=cgc+newly+graded&_osacat=0

Given their nature most who sell comics would obscure as much as possible they are 2024 slabs.  For these sellers is it: Simply oblivious? Sheer Ignorance?  Cognitive Dissonance? 

I'm not following. Looked at quite a few of these and they all had the cert.# clearly visible in the pictures? Didn't check to see if they had it listed in the item description. What type of obscuring are we talking about?

On 9/8/2024 at 10:34 AM, Carl Tillona said:

After— CGC bending

No question that what the slab makes the book look like is unacceptable. But it was hardly "immaculate" before. Even before scrolling, I could identify the tics that became worse in the slab.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

No question that what the slab makes the book look like is unacceptable. But it was hardly "immaculate" before. Even before scrolling, I could identify the tics that became worse in the slab.

I agree with you, maybe a wrong adjective…but I was commenting on the difference coupled with an overall feeling of frustration and just feeling bad for the book…This was only my 2nd submission ever to CGC.

On 9/8/2024 at 10:36 AM, MAY1979 said:

On 9/8/2024 at 11:33 AM, WeR138 said:

I'm not following. Looked at quite a few of these and they all had the cert.# clearly visible in the pictures? Didn't check to see if they had it listed in the item description. What type of obscuring are we talking about?

You would think Sellers given their nature would not advertise the slabs are new and do whatever they can to draw attention away from that. Instead they boldly state they are newly graded.

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/8/2024 at 7:34 AM, Carl’s Comics said:

After— CGC bending

That's really sad.  Sure, there were already ticks there beforehand, but they were pressed and pretty minor color breaks.  Whatever CGC did definitely took that down a grade or two from the pressed submission.   This is basically what happened to my books, except in some cases the ticks that were introduced were definitely not there in the first place.

On 9/8/2024 at 10:34 AM, Carl’s Comics said:

After— CGC bending

CGC just reached out to me to send pics!  Fingers crossed they can make it right.  I will keep everyone posted.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:23 AM, MAY1979 said:

You would think Sellers given their nature would not advertise the slabs are new and do whatever they can to draw attention away from that. Instead they boldly state they are newly graded.

So they have the audacity to not be shady? Are you wanting BANANAGATE in the title? Help me out here. I am truly trying to follow what you are saying.

On 9/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, Carl’s Comics said:

After— CGC bending

Sorry that happened. The before and after pictures clearly show the warped inner well caused that.  Hopefully you get a response from CS.

Edited by DanJD

On 9/8/2024 at 12:53 PM, WeR138 said:

So they have the audacity to not be shady? Are you wanting BANANAGATE in the title? Help me out here. I am truly trying to follow what you are saying.

I dealt and known many comic dealers/sellers/flippers/speculators for 40 years, none of them have anywhere near that level of honesty. Wish I did know some that are, but I don't. I've heard they exist and while I'm sure that's plausible, again I've never met a single one who even borders on being honest.

Thus I ask again is it being oblivious? Sheer Ignorance?  Cognitive Dissonance?  or some combination thereof that these eBay sellers proudly exclaim "Newly Graded" or "New Slab" as if that is a positive thing.

P.S. Those involved with buying comics I've met who are honest, are limited to collectors only

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/8/2024 at 12:20 PM, MAY1979 said:

I dealt and known many comic dealers/sellers/flippers/speculators for 40 years, none of them have anywhere near that level of honesty. Wish I did know some that are, but I don't. I've heard they exist and while I'm sure that's plausible, again I've never met a single one who even borders on being honest.

Thus I asked again is it being oblivious? Sheer Ignorance?  Cognitive Dissonance?  or some combination thereof that they proudly exclaim "Newly Graded" or ' New Slab"

P.S. Those involved with comics I've met who are honest, are limited to collectors only

OK. This helps me to understand where you are coming from with that statement.  

I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience with dealers/sellers/flippers.

I have met quite a few great ones. Some on these boards, some in my local community.  They do exist.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:23 PM, WeR138 said:

OK. This helps me to understand where you are coming from with that statement.  

I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience with dealers/sellers/flippers.

I have met quite a few great ones. Some on these boards, some in my local community.  They do exist.

I count only those met in person or dealt with one-on-one and that includes online sellers.  I will say my dealings, especially when there were issues with the book or slab, with MCS have been 100% excellent. However that is a business entity in my mind not an individual.

I do want to issue a Correction! I also feel very bad for forgetting him may he RIP, from the Mid 90s-early 2000's a small local con and via his self hosted "garage sales" I dealt a lot with a part time seller named Rino. He was honest and overtly fair.  Him and his wife were truly great people. He also had one of those great voices likley aided by his chain smoking which sadly did him in (found out last year he passed away in 2014).  RIP RINO and my apologies for not giving you your due.

I've posted a handful of times about Rino here is a link; https://boards.cgccomics.com/search/?&q=rino&quick=1&author=may1979&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/8/2024 at 10:36 AM, MAY1979 said:

I cannot tell from the search string, but those numbers, ideally, should exclude 1) vintage (for the most part), 2) books that are below 9.4 (maybe? because the look or grade is barely if at all affected?), 3) books that are "newly" slabbed but still before mid 2023 (?), and 4) any books, modern or otherwise, that simply are not bowed (there apparently are some). Not knocking the point, just suggesting a refinement.