• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2024 at 1:17 PM, Yorick said:

I cracked a recently graded Golden Age comic and found that there was a bowl in the center of its inner-well too.  :ohnoez:

I didn't see it while it was sealed....

IMG_20240920_175816168_HDR.thumb.jpg.cb5521bcc4a1faec1fdad9b667612b6b.jpg

IMG_20240920_175859339_HDR.thumb.jpg.a1f9966a2371d742a5eee8e5f9d65c34.jpg

About the size of a doughnut.  Very strange.

That's called "puddling". 

If you do a forum search on that word, you'll find plenty to read about it.

Well while Im waiting for some kind of reply from CGC on my books, I went to Baltimore con this past weekend and I found myself looking at the sides of any CGC book I needed to finish my All star run. I was able to find some in some bins and I would pull them out and check the sides and numbers to see if they were 43XXX but I also kept a eye out in case it was a older number but reholdered I did find 2 I needed in decent grades and prices, but when I checked the side it was warped no spine issues but being warped I just have to skip now. Whats going on with CGC?

I went to a Con in Raleigh and had some of my childhood comics signed by JR Jr. and then sent in for CCS pressing and CGC grading back in July. I received my first book back yesterday (very happy with the grade!) and I do unfortunately have a bend that seems to be causing damage to the comic. Looking at the scans of the book and the notes, I believe that damage you see to the comic below was caused after encapsulation. I believe if that bend was there, CCS would have pressed it out. I’m also concerned that there are some more damage to the spine ticks that were there before. 

I’ve used CGC and CCS for years and have been very satisfied with good success. I looked at a 12 book submission last year and none had bends  I have several other books at CGC and CCS right now.

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2330.png

IMG_2329.jpeg

Edited by Msgarmar

On 9/24/2024 at 12:19 AM, OJ Pimpson said:

This has probably been mentioned but CGC absolutely has to implement policies similar to what PSA does when checking in cards, specifically taking photographs of every item in a submission. 

they already take photos of the end product 

While this would be excellent from a customer service perspective, this is actually not something CGC would see as in their best interest.  If they generate photographic evidence of the condition of a book that presents without damage on receipt and later shows damage after encapsulation, they cannot then deny the damages came from their process or blame inbound shipping (as they could if you provide your own images of the book pre-shipping).

CGC's demonstrated stance on integrity and customer service clearly indicates that this is something they will not consider.

On 9/23/2024 at 11:55 PM, wombat said:

So the ones that were removed a few weeks ago was a second batch that were identified as defective? How confident should people be about a third batch popping up?

Mine were graded in September and came back bent/banana/spine tick with a 9.8 grade.

Bad quality on CGC's part!

On 9/23/2024 at 6:24 PM, Rhett Christopher said:

I wanted to sell the Wolverine graded book but I cannot now because of the visible spine tick and the grade is not accurate now.

I could have sold that book anywhere from $140 to $180 at a graded 9.8 but I cannot in good conscience sell that book at a 9.8 and claim it's a 9.8 when in reality it is not and CGC damaged my book and cost me a lost sale of at least $140.

This is my current conundrum too. I intended to sell my X-Men 107 after grading. It came back with the bend. I dont see any spine tick or creasing from the bend (yet) but worry that if I try to sell (it's in a 9.8 slab) Im going to be dealing with unhappy customers (since the bend problem is widely known and I assume buyers will be checking for it) so I'll have to deal with potential unhappy buyers and returns for a problem that I didnt cause. Also for an X-Men 107 theres a MASSIVE price difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6. So I understand why a buyer would be hesitant to drop 9.8 money on a book that might regrade as a 9.6 OR eventually develop a crease that makes it a 9.6. 

On 9/24/2024 at 12:01 PM, Axelrod said:

*sigh*

This is indirectly going to cost me $500.00, because I won some free grading credit from CGC, but now I am just...not going to use it.  Because I'd rather my books not get bent, thank you very much. 

And I had them all picked out and everything.   

Maybe they will fix it before another 6 months. That's about when the credit expires, I think.  Though CGC's response to the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I still might not want to....  

supposedly they've stopped using the thin curved wells (I mean they've said that a few times now and they've reappeared, but maybe they really mean it this time). 

@CGC Mike is there a way on ones submission form to request the deeper well that does not have the bends? 

• Administrator
On 9/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, miraclemet said:

@CGC Mike is there a way on ones submission form to request the deeper well that does not have the bends? 

I am no longer able to answer any questions about submissions.  You would have to ask customer service.  

On 9/24/2024 at 12:20 PM, miraclemet said:

This is my current conundrum too. I intended to sell my X-Men 107 after grading. It came back with the bend. I dont see any spine tick or creasing from the bend (yet) but worry that if I try to sell (it's in a 9.8 slab) Im going to be dealing with unhappy customers (since the bend problem is widely known and I assume buyers will be checking for it) so I'll have to deal with potential unhappy buyers and returns for a problem that I didnt cause. Also for an X-Men 107 theres a MASSIVE price difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6. So I understand why a buyer would be hesitant to drop 9.8 money on a book that might regrade as a 9.6 OR eventually develop a crease that makes it a 9.6. 

This is where the focus on the bend in the inner well rather than on whether any damage exists does a huge disservice to the comic community. If there is no damage to the book and it is still a clear 9.8 a buyer can re-holder down the road if they so choose without worrying whether the grade will stay the same, or they can keep it the way it is since it is not damaged. Whichever they choose they got what they paid for. But by incorrectly (and against the actual evidence) saying small bend = damage even if we can't see anything, shouting down actual facts, and saying things like don't ever buy any books with slab numbers started with 44, or whatever, the people who have undamaged books are just as hooped as those with ones that have been damaged. 

This was completely avoidable if common sense was applied, but people gotta bang whatever drum they decide to bang on. 

On 9/24/2024 at 11:40 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is where the focus on the bend in the inner well rather than on whether any damage exists does a huge disservice to the comic community. If there is no damage to the book and it is still a clear 9.8 a buyer can re-holder down the road if they so choose without worrying whether the grade will stay the same, or they can keep it the way it is since it is not damaged. Whichever they choose they got what they paid for. But by incorrectly (and against the actual evidence) saying small bend = damage even if we can't see anything, shouting down actual facts, and saying things like don't ever buy any books with slab numbers started with 44, or whatever, the people who have undamaged books are just as hooped as those with ones that have been damaged. 

This was completely avoidable if common sense was applied, but people gotta bang whatever drum they decide to bang on. 

If you don’t think it’s a big deal, you as the seller should incur the cost and risk to send it in to be reholdered.  Not many people want to buy something defective just to send it in to be reholdered and have the risk of CGC damaging the book further unless it’s at a steep discount to FMV.  

On 9/24/2024 at 8:16 AM, VinceVellCUSTOMS said:

Whats going on with CGC?

They were bought out by a corporation that cares about profit and nothing else. 

They compromised quality for speed. In all fairness, that's what people seemed to care about. Years of constant whining about turnaround times. Now look!