• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2024 at 8:41 AM, lostboys said:

If you sold that to me, Id send it back and look for another copy.

Honestly, Id have trouble sleeping if that book was in my collection.

Sure, im a bit OCD but I think most comic collectors are when it comes to big money books.

Id rather spend more for a flat copy and sleep like a baby.

Agreed, that's not acceptable... especially not for a book of that quality.  CGC should be ASHAMED to be sending that out.

On 9/26/2024 at 7:41 AM, lostboys said:

If you sold that to me, Id send it back and look for another copy.

Honestly, Id have trouble sleeping if that book was in my collection.

Sure, im a bit OCD but I think most comic collectors are when it comes to big money books.

Id rather spend more for a flat copy and sleep like a baby.

I agree.  Also, my concern would be what happens over time. This is still relatively short term.  Who knows what a high grade, high value book such as that will look like with that bend several years from now.  If it was below a 9.0 and I got a good deal, I’d probably be less concerned (still not happy though).

If CGC doesn't take appropriate action to solve this issue, it falls to the individual buyer to make noise with returns on bent books. If enough of these books get returned to sellers, especially the larger ones, perhaps they will start to put pressure on CGC to figure this out.

On 9/25/2024 at 9:23 AM, Stefan_W said:

A picture of a tick also does not demonstrate whether a tick is from "unpressing" (e.g., revealing a past flaw that was fixed) or is a new tick.

O.olol

On 9/26/2024 at 3:53 AM, Msgarmar said:

Wait, there wasn’t an issue with the wells and they weren’t causing damage, but they decided to fix them anyway going forward, and you can get their mistake fixed, the mistake they didn’t make, by paying for the most expensive reholder option which will cost $200 minimum?

And this is the nail that pins them to the wall...

Why bother replacing the inner holder if there wasn't a problem in the first place? 

They say the banana holder isn't an issue. They claim the bends don't damage the books inside. BUT...they feel the need to replace them? 

On 9/26/2024 at 10:10 AM, newshane said:

O.olol

If you go back through this discussion you will find a post where I show high resolution scans of the same book - one scan taken before it went to CGC, and the other after. Along with other differences, a color breaking tick disappeared in the second scan. 

If we are saying that before and after pics are completely unproblematic than I can accuse CGC of fixing an unfixable color break. How DARE they! Or, we can apply a small amount of common sense and acknowledge that even tiny differences in lighting, angle, resolution, distance to book, etc can all impact on what shows up in a picture. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/26/2024 at 7:28 AM, Stefan_W said:

If you go back through this discussion you will find a post where I show high resolution scans of the same book - one scan taken before it went to CGC, and the other after. Along with other differences, a color breaking tick disappeared in the second scan. 

hm

On 9/15/2024 at 1:10 PM, Stefan_W said:

That is all true, and those are the acknowledged limitations of trying to reproduce damage by bending books at home. 

There are also equally important limitations to trying to prove damage was done using before and after photos. To illustrate this I used two scans of a Hulk 181 that I pressed for a crack and resub. Looks like CGC damaged the book based on the enlarged ticks I circled, right? Except that the ones where the ticks show more (i.e., the one where the red looks darker) were prior to me doing CPR and resubmitting it, while the one with what appear to be lessened ticks are in the official CGC scan of the book. Did I do that great a job in removing them? To some degree, but there may also be minute difference in resolution, lighting, angle, etc. that make it appear as though I am a miracle worker. I also did not color things in to change the hue of the red - that is all about the different scanners used in the images. 

I am sure some people have experienced damage to their books and those people need to be compensated. But if we are talking about limitations that make this process challenging we have to look at a more complete picture. This stuff is hard to parse together. Really hard. 

capture.jpg

hm

:popcorn:

On 9/26/2024 at 9:36 AM, newshane said:

Oh! You're right! That's ALL the proof I need! doh!

I'm glad CGC is fixing the unfixable! I'm going to spend all weekend packing my next submission! 

PS - common sense isn't all that common. 

They didn't fix mine. All they did is slap it in a new case. Same creases that were NOT there before. 

On 9/26/2024 at 3:40 PM, Berkfam54 said:

just posted my unboxing video. Pretty simple if you ask me - reholder and if there's an issue then offer free pressing and then reholder. If the book goes down in value then CGC pays the difference. I feel like that's pretty self explanatory though.

That's literally what I asked them for when I was talking to customer service... before they completely stopped responding to me.  But best they could offer is that I pay THEM to press and reholder, with no guarantees from them as far as not damaging the book again or keeping the grade.

This company is a total disaster.