• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,702 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2024 at 12:41 AM, Steven Valdez said:

"Testing?? We don't have that policy here."

It appears a few of your other comments were purged from earlier.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:53 PM, Ninja0215 said:

I agree with him , sort of. I dont belive that there is a ton of damage the inside but it shouldn't curve like that at all. Cgc needs to get this fixed. 

I used to be under the impression that the comic was sandwiched quite firmly between the 2 halves of the slab. I can't believe there are several millimetres of leeway for bowing to occur.

Edited by Steven Valdez
changed wording

On 8/11/2024 at 8:55 AM, Steven Valdez said:

I used to be under the impression that the comic was sandwiched quite tightly between the 2 halves of the slab. I can't believe there are several millimetres of leeway for bowing to occur.

The two books I cracked looked like the inner well was just a chunk of plastic; like a sleeve with tougher ends. 

I wasn't looking for and curving though when I cracked them . 

On 8/11/2024 at 10:57 PM, Ninja0215 said:

The two books I cracked looked like the inner well was just a chunk of plastic; like a sleeve with tougher ends. 

I wasn't looking for and curving though when I cracked them . 

Yes, it's not something I've ever even considered looking for. I'll be checking all of my CGC books when I get the nerve to do so. Most of mine go back a few years (in terms of being slabbed), whether that's good or bad I don't know at this stage.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:58 PM, Dave616 said:

Mine is the one he highlighted towards the end. 

Oh OK, I recall seeing your name in the comments now. I saw your video as well.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 8/11/2024 at 8:49 AM, Ninja0215 said:

I'll leave this here. You guys can draw your own conclusions.  

When you actually examine the flex the case allows the small bend does not damage the book but makes it look worse, and because people are paying to make their book look as good as possible when grading it needs to be fixed. Gee, I wonder where I have seen that take in this thread. 

I do give him credit for calling out all the people who hate CGC that sit on these boards, wait for whatever issue to come up, and then glom onto those threads making dozens of posts trying to knock the company. That part was pretty funny. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 8/11/2024 at 10:39 AM, Ninja0215 said:

I believe that was you that stated that lol

@Stefan_WI'm still waiting on CS to get back to me on my spider-man 41. I just might leave well enough alone and see what transpires in the next .month. 

The worst part is he would have been better off actually acknowledging my posts. His approach was to take a book and bend it a bit, which is fine for most people and keeps the flow of the story he is telling moving. But not all flexes are equal and it is extremely important to get it right. I measuring everything so I made sure the amount of bend was correct, and when I test further out of curiosity damage started to occur on books with about a 1/4 inch more bend. So we are fortunate the cases do not have much room on the inside. In any event, you cant convincingly show all of that by just bending a book a bit and saying "nope, no damage."

On 8/11/2024 at 10:44 AM, Stefan_W said:

The worst part is he would have been better off actually acknowledging my posts. His approach was to take a book and bend it a bit, which is fine for most people and keeps the flow of the story he is telling moving. But not all flexes are equal and it is extremely important to get it right. I measuring everything so I made sure the amount of bend was correct, and when I test further out of curiosity damage started to occur on books with about a 1/4 inch more bend. So we are fortunate the cases do not have much room on the inside. In any event, you cant convincingly show all of that by just bending a book a bit and saying "nope, no damage."

No, you can't.  Some books I have are just flexed enough to notice but idk of it's enough to trash the book.  I don't have the sack to crack one out and see .

On 8/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, Stefan_W said:

Someone should make a video and call out the people that keep trying to convince others that no damage is being done and everything is ok because they bent a book and called it FACT.  I thought you said that the slabs being sealed too tight was causing pressure to warp the well.  Your bending tests seem to be missing that vacuum seal, pressure impact on the creases…

On 8/11/2024 at 10:50 AM, DanJD said:

Someone should make a video and call out the people that keep trying to convince others that no damage is being done and everything is ok because they bent a book and called it FACT.  I thought you said that the slabs being sealed too tight was causing pressure to warp the well.  Your bending tests seem to be missing that vacuum seal, pressure impact on the creases…

This is what I said in point form:

- The timing suggests it may have had something to do with changes made to the cases following the tampering incident

- To avoid further tampering, cases were beefed up by having them sealed all the way around

- What may have happened is during the process of cooling a vacuum was created which bent the inner wells (I used the example of canning where the tops pop when jars cool) 

- The amount of space within a case leaves a small amount of room for the inner well to bend and that amount of bend does not create new ticks in the books I tested

- The amount of space within a case provides enough room to make existing ticks look more pronounced

- People pay money to make their books look good, so the fact that bends can make them look worse is a problem that needs to be fixed. 

Edited by Stefan_W