• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,725 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, Yorick said:

Yes.  Four (4) book submission by me nearly one year ago in October 2023.  Sent for PRESSING then grading.  These were nice books that needed a little encouragement to get higher grades.  Only the Spiderman came back with a warped well.  The other books still have spine ticks though (as if they were never pressed).

It is my book and I appreciate the sentiment.  Thank you.  THAT book is the singular reason I'm posting in this thread.  Despite my dissatisfaction with the other three in that same order.

Not a reholder.  First time the book was ever graded.  I bought it at a convention long before grading was ever a thing.  The only "manipulation" by me was adding a sticker outside the case over the CGC holo-logo.

I have one too. Fortunately it’s a nothing book for anyone but me. I won’t put it in my collection as a CGC 9.4, and there’s no way I would ever try to sell it as a 9.4 because it looks like 7.0 in hand.

Ah. Appolgies @Yorick  Didn't think it would have been warped based on the cert# but there are outliers from prior to reholdergate. Something about pressed books when the well has any warp seems to be doing much more significant damage than books that weren't pressed as those faults / issues that were there prior come back in abundance. Even so, surprising that the well was warped prior to the re-holder scam realization and this issue became consistent with the inner wells. I suppose as some have posted it had been happening in random scenarios far longer but just not consistently so much. Seeing as it is a white cover hopefully those can be re-pressed and slabbed once this issue is resolved and books get back to lying flat in the inner wells.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 9/20/2024 at 12:06 PM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

Ah. Appolgies @Yorick I missed the original post at the bottom of the last page. Something about pressed books when the well has any warp seems to be doing much more significant damage than books that weren't pressed as those faults / issues that were there prior come back in abundance. Even so, surprising that the well was warped prior to the re-holder scam realization and this issue became consistent with the inner wells. I suppose as some have posted it had been happening in random scenarios far longer but just not consistently so much. Seeing as it is a white cover hopefully those can be re-pressed and slabbed once this issue is resolved and books get back to lying flat in the inner wells.

The reholder scam had been happening before my book submission.  You bring up a good point about weak structural issues in the paper being exacerbated by the bent well.  It's been brought up before.  I do see some small ticks on the back cover of my Spiderman that could have been the origin of that horrible mangling seen on the white section lower-mid spine of the slabbed image.

Photos prior to submission:

IMG_20231023_133651818.thumb.jpg.28cd982ddc10742a19517b7fc22b075d.jpg

IMG_20231023_133721983_HDR.thumb.jpg.170e275024fdc8f06ca28177337e8c13.jpg

X-Men #99 - The reverse banana

I had this slabbed back in June 2024. WHen it came back I noticed then that It did not look like it did after I pressed it and sent it out. I noticed the spine ticks and wavyness. This was before I knew about the warped inner wells.They had the label on this swapped with another comic in the order so I sent them both back as ME's.

I got them back with the correct comics labeled but not the custom labels. By this time I heard about the warped inner wells so I sent them back as ME's to fix the label and to look into the warped inner wells. They said it was too late to do anything but fix the labels because of the 15 day grace period. Even though I barely had it in my hands because it's been tied up in ME status.

It just came back today and it has the reverse banana. So all the damage that was created when the well bent the comic forward is still there and now its banana is bending the other way creating new weird bending of the comic.

Im pretty sure they did not change the inner well for this one but it somehow got worse.

Link to video: The Reverse Banana 

IMG_8652.JPG

Reverse banana:

CGC Consumer Service: What are we going to do about the Banana Bends?

CGC Heads:  Let's reverse the inner wells so now the bends on the back cover instead of the front cover and less visible.

CCG Board:  Brilliant!  Won't cost a thing! and these dummy customers have no choice but keep submitting anyway because we are #1 and the best.

Edited by spidermanbeyond