• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC comics reveal Oni press issues #4 & #5
3 3

157 posts in this topic

Have they released any preview pages with dialogue inserted yet? 

On 6/1/2024 at 10:53 AM, Robot Man said:

Modern comics reflect this. I have always felt that a good story line was equally important along with the art.

Original ECs delivered both. These do not. 

I tend to agree but the ancient pull of the collector in me will urge me to pick these up to sample them. I will at least give them the chance to impress me. :wishluck:

On 6/1/2024 at 8:51 AM, Jayman said:

I tend to agree but the ancient pull of the collector in me will urge me to pick these up to sample them. I will at least give them the chance to impress me. :wishluck:

Fair enough. I will give them a thumb through on the rack. But at this point, spending 4 or 5 bucks on another comic to simply store, seems a little crazy to me. 

Posted (edited)

Cruel Universe is a great name, imo, but Epitaphs from the Abyss is pretty clunky. I’d say drop the Epitaphs, and just call it From the Abyss. Much better horror name, imo. The interior art will improve if it takes off, I think. I’d like to see more gritty/inky styles to set the mood. Drop shadows, bugs in the background, dirty it up a bit, stuff like that. 

Edit to add: The covers are great so far. 

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

On 6/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, Jayman said:

See now I line the black and white of this cover more. I didn’t even notice the skull above the rose tattoo in the colored version. 

I agree, though I tend to like original line art better than the colorized versions in most cases.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 11:25 AM, SpineTic said:

Screenshot (60).png

I had a creepy EC moment earlier today while reading this thread.  I was scrolling down and I SWEAR exactly as I scrolled down to this cover, a character on tv (Andy Griffith on the Andy Griffith Show) said "you hit the nail on the head".  I put the phone down and ran out of the house. :jawdrop:

Edited by Telegan

On 6/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, Telegan said:

I had a creepy EC moment earlier today while reading this thread.  I was scrolling down and I SWEAR exactly as I scrolled down to this cover, a character on tv (Andy Griffith on the Andy Griffith Show) said "you hit the nail on the head".  I put the phone down and ran out of the house. :jawdrop:

Given I watch the show too, currently, I'll join you!  :ohnoez:

On 6/1/2024 at 7:20 PM, Telegan said:

IMG_3519.gif

On 6/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, SpineTic said:

EC-EPITAPHS_001_COVER-B_SORRENTINO.webp

EC-EPITAPHS_001_VARIANT_HOMAGE.webp

Where did he get 1944 as the year for the first EC?  I've got Picture Stories from the Bible New Testament #2 as the first Educational Comics indicia publisher, and Picture Stories from American History #1 as first book with the EC logo, and those were both 1945.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:25 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm afraid these are ratio variants, unfortunately, which is too bad because they're easily my favorites so far.

Yeah, I won’t be chasing these. But if I happen to run across them, I’ll pick them up! (thumbsu

On 6/1/2024 at 5:27 PM, Jayman said:

Yeah, I won’t be chasing these. But if I happen to run across them, I’ll pick them up! (thumbsu

I'll see what they're going for online when the book drops, I might be willing to go $12 or so for them.

Posted (edited)

Lets give these a chance at least, the art work is not 1/10th of what EC was, but I really think that EC with the best art, the best story....will never be topped. Creepy and Blazing combat gave it a good run....but those artists are long gone. Maybe the story can make up for the artwork.....CU is one I will buy a couple of , since I am a big EC SF fan.....the horror....I will wait for your reviews

Edited by Mmehdy

it comes down to that It is better than nothing.....with creepy the other imitators they did not have the comic code to deal with and the talent of course was still there.....these new books  also have no code and they are in color, some of the warren stuff was in color, but again, the resources of this company are suspect...art and writing wise compared to DC etc. I say each board member should by at least one issue, read it, put it away and reread a week later and then give the board here your thoughts