• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors Who Really Prefer Low Grade?
3 3

63 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, grendelbo said:

With key books from any era I too am of the thought that any grade is better than no grade. I would still prefer the book to be presentable but even that is not a deal breaker. Ever seen my copy of FF1?

Reveal hidden contents

FantasticFour1.thumb.jpg.6ea02921f787567fb896cfc32df282da.jpg

:banana:

If it's Copper or newer I'd prefer my books to be VF or better. For Bronze or older books I actually think the FN range is the sweet spot. I enjoy handling and browsing and reading my books. In this grade range I can do so without any worry of damaging an issue. There's also something aesthetically pleasing for me for older books that are FN or lower. I expect old comics to have had a journey before they ended up in my collection. Love equals wear in many cases.

Over the years the grade range I have preferred the most are 5.0-8.0. Very presentable and easy to handle and enjoy. Pricing was historicaly very reasonable as well. Less competition with collectors on both sides of the grading and pricing spectrum. Times have sure changed price wise as a lot of other folks have discovered this rationale.  

On 6/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, grendelbo said:

With key books from any era I too am of the thought that any grade is better than no grade. I would still prefer the book to be presentable but even that is not a deal breaker. Ever seen my copy of FF1?

Hide contents

If it's Copper or newer I'd prefer my books to be VF or better. For Bronze or older books I actually think the FN range is the sweet spot. I enjoy handling and browsing and reading my books. In this grade range I can do so without any worry of damaging an issue. There's also something aesthetically pleasing for me for older books that are FN or lower. I expect old comics to have had a journey before they ended up in my collection. Love equals wear in many cases.

Looks like it could have White Pages!   

On 6/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I love the low grades.

I fact, much of my collection is big time grails with missing covers.

And all the other pages missing too.

It's an impressive collection if I do say so myself.

:makepoint::roflmao:

On 6/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, grendelbo said:

Reveal hidden contents

:takeit:

On 6/7/2024 at 9:01 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I've had really high grade books that I've protected and worried about getting damaged and you know what? I never look at them other than carefully, without removing from the bag. I get virtually no real pleasure from them other than a theoretical knowledge that I have a high grade copy. They are almost a liability. When I've bought a lower grade copy so I can handle the thing and sit and enjoy the art and the smell, guess what? That's the copy I'd keep if push came to shove. I have far more attachment to the lower grade copy. I like a 6.0 or a 7.0 but get so much pleasure from my 5.0s and 4.0s that they are my go to copies. The high grade ones are like file copies I rarely refer to now. 

There is always the rationale to have a reader when you have a high grade copy. That way you can read and enjoy the book for what it really is. Digital just doesn’t cut it for me. 

Gosh, I don't think I have any reader copies. I do have reprints and facsimiles of a few keys that I own. I've also never upgraded. So much of my collecting was in New Mexico and prior to the Internet and eBay and the like, regional scarcity was a thing. It was hard finding anything noteworthy and I took what I could get and moved on to the next lucky find. I could upgrade now but again, condition doesn't really matter all that much to me. I'd rather spend my money on something new.

I'm by no means a 9.8 label collector, but I do like books that look minty. I don't mind a few spine ticks, but for whatever reason, corner damage really activates my OCD. Torn or crushed corners just really look awful to me. I spent far too long this morning looking for a copy of Madame Xanadu #1 online that looked reasonably minty-- 9.2 - 9.6 range let's say-- with nice corners, and couldn't find one that my OCD could live with. (That black cover really shows off corner damage.) It's situations like this that make me question my approach to collecting.  Maybe just get everything in Fine and call it a day. Would I be happier? Maybe. (But then what do I do with all the Near Mint books I collected previously? OCD sucks.) 

And then there are miswraps...