• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small tear on a 9.8?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice.  I bid on a book that is a CGC 9.8.  After bidding, I noticed what appears to be a small mark on the right side.  It was almost not noticeable on the listing, but when I went to CGC’s site and looked up the cert, I noticed it more.  It appears to be a small tear, but I can’t tell for sure.  Please see attached.  Is this something that would be common in a 9.8? Thanks.

IMG_1375.png

Is that the staple?  Hard to tell....  probably need the book in-hand.

Wait, that's the open edge, not the fold edge...  doh!

Edited by Yorick
yea

On 6/19/2024 at 10:30 AM, Yorick said:

Is that the staple?  Hard to tell....  probably need the book in-hand.

Wait, that's the open edge, not the fold edge...  doh!

Yeah.  I originally said the wrong side in my post.  Probably added to the confusion.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:51 AM, Yorick said:

There may be some debris inside the case.

I reached out to the seller and he confirmed it was some form of blemish or possible small tear but couldn’t tell which.  He was kind enough to offer to cancel the bid, so to be safe I accepted the cancellation offer.  

Well, it's a 9.8. It's not a 9.9 or 10.0 so there has to be an incredibly minor defect to distinguish it from those two higher grades. When I have a 9.8 I expect there to be something very, very minor affecting the book. Right?

On 6/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, Kramerica said:

Well, it's a 9.8. It's not a 9.9 or 10.0 so there has to be an incredibly minor defect to distinguish it from those two higher grades. When I have a 9.8 I expect there to be something very, very minor affecting the book. Right?

Yes.  I agree.  I am fairly new to collecting graded comics.  I just thought that color breaking handling defects would stop it from getting a 9.8 and just wasn’t sure if this seems minor enough.  I get that grading is subjective and varies.  I am just trying to understand what other collectors would consider an acceptable defect for a 9.8. 

To my eyes, that looks like a small tear and fold. I would not pay 9.8 for that book. 

To me the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is what the grader had for lunch that day or the light that hour or some other aethereal factor. That I've never heard of anyone cracking out a 9.9 and risk a resubmission is telling. And since the book gets put into the case AFTER it is graded, there is not only no "guarantee" of the grade in the CGC contract, there's no common sense reason to suspect that whatever perfection existed before encapsulation still exists. I would never pay 9.9 or 10.0 money for one. 

On 6/19/2024 at 12:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

To my eyes, that looks like a small tear and fold. I would not pay 9.8 for that book. 

To me the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is what the grader had for lunch that day or the light that hour or some other aethereal factor. That I've never heard of anyone cracking out a 9.9 and risk a resubmission is telling. And since the book gets put into the case AFTER it is graded, there is not only no "guarantee" of the grade in the CGC contract, there's no common sense reason to suspect that whatever perfection existed before encapsulation still exists. I would never pay 9.9 or 10.0 money for one. 

Thanks.  I had a similar thought.

What night be interesting would be to see scans of a book that has been graded a 10.0 and then examples of the same book all the way down to 6.0. Thor #156 has a 10.0 on the census so that would be a great book for this. To be able to compare the Thor #156 10.0 next to the 9.9 next to the 9.8 next to 9.6, 9.4, 9.2 and so on down the line might shed some light on the process.