• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple Gives Away $500,000 Worth Of Comic Books
2 2

35 posts in this topic

These are great stories, and should be shared. I have appraised collections that were donated to insitutional settings, and usually these require a proper appraisal report because the donor receiving the collection would/should issue an official donation tax receipt. The ones I've done were in Canada, and I'm not 100% sure about the state of PA, but I'd imagine the University of Pennsylvania would have no problem issuing such a tax receipt, perhaps through the Office of The Treasurer in that state. In certain instances, this is perhaps the best course of action to take when a couple at an advanced age decide it's time to uncomplicate their lives with having to transact with people over the internet or in person, and can still benefit from donating it from a personal tax and finance perspective.

My interest piqued though on this "colour scheme" he retells with an X-Men 1. It sounds like a printing error to me,but I admit this is the first I'm hearing about it.

Edited by comicwiz

On 6/23/2024 at 9:34 AM, namisgr said:

Here's a story about Gary and his donation in the University's alumni magazine, the Pennsylvania Gazette:

https://thepenngazette.com/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-gary-prebulas-prodigious-vault/

Glad to see that Zap 1 in the photo pics, although I'm not certain these are of his actual books, maybe just placeholder images cobbled from the web. Still cool to see it had good ecclectic range matching to what he said in the Forbes interview.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:05 AM, comicwiz said:

This guy got it right, but might have his panties in a bunch over all of it. lol

Just another guy spouting nonsense clickbait on social media, completely unaware that the University Libraries have already received the collection and having its value assessed independently of the donor to issue him a statement for tax purposes.  He's also unaware that the value to the donor of the tax write-off is a small fraction of the value of the collection on the open market, making it plain to anyone with a brain that the donor's primary motivation could not have been financial.

Edited by namisgr

On 6/23/2024 at 9:31 AM, namisgr said:

I'm wondering what Gary's X-Men #1 cover color variant looks like that he found in Cleveland and was told by Stan was distributed to that location.  Never seen one, and couldn't find a scan on a cursory search.

I'll believe that story when I see a copy. 

On 6/23/2024 at 9:41 AM, comicwiz said:

My interest piqued though on this "colour scheme" he retells with an X-Men 1. It sounds like a printing error to me,but I admit this is the first I'm hearing about it.

yeah I posted about that above as well...

On 6/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, namisgr said:

I'm wondering what Gary's X-Men #1 cover color variant looks like that he found in Cleveland and was told by Stan was distributed to that location.  Never seen one, and couldn't find a scan on a cursory search.

from the way he retells the story, Stan mentioning Cleveland was probably just because Sparta's plant operating as a hub for printing. It sounds to me like a printing (colour) error, than any print run of a variant. He mentions 20,000, I think we would have seen one by now, and as an printing error, is more likely to coincide with the under 5 he claimed in the video.

Edited by comicwiz

I used to buy comic books at Golden Apple comic book store near the intersection of Reseda Blvd and Nordoff St while I was a student at California State University, Northridge (we called it CSUN). I had a great time.

I remembered this was a mural on the wall that faced south of the intersection:

LYMn7vq.jpeg

I think the owners sold the store to the new owners,  I tried to find the icon of the yellow sign with black typos but this is the former comic book store with the different sign.

nCOlOY4.png

Golden Apple Comics - 8967 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, CA 91324