• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

262 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2024 at 12:37 AM, tth2 said:

Why?  For the longest time you could get them for four figures, and then they slowly crept up into just breaking five figures.  Then suddenly, from the last Signature Auction, there's been a jump into solid middle five figures.

There have been gargantuan offers and sales made recently on V and Watchmen art that have all occurred away from the auction block. 

On 9/14/2024 at 3:42 PM, 1classics said:

It’s weird, I saw a post by Browning on FB saying he feels bad for the consignors and overall results being low. Not sure we’re all watching or interested in the same things, but based on most of the posts on this thread, overall market seems very healthy with a lot of high results.

I think people were surprised by the greater-than-usual number of lots that fell through the cracks (as well as the large number of as-expected results when we've become accustomed to expecting better-than-expected). To be sure, though, there was no shortage of strong results and even some exceptional ones. 

The question is whether this was a mildly disappointing one-off or the first crack in the OA market's facade. IIRC, we had a bit of a comedown at one point last year/early this year in some parts of the market but things bounced back strongly after a couple of auction cycles and the last auction cycle (June) was back to blowing away expectations. In any case, it will probably take a deeper and more sustained string of disappointments to really start worrying people. 2c 

On 9/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, delekkerste said:

I think people were surprised by the greater-than-usual number of lots that fell through the cracks (as well as the large number of as-expected results when we've become accustomed to expecting better-than-expected). To be sure, though, there was no shortage of strong results and even some exceptional ones. 

The question is whether this was a mildly disappointing one-off or the first crack in the OA market's facade. IIRC, we had a bit of a comedown at one point last year/early this year in some parts of the market but things bounced back strongly after a couple of auction cycles and the last auction cycle (June) was back to blowing away expectations. In any case, it will probably take a deeper and more sustained string of disappointments to really start worrying people. 2c 

To the extent anything external and macro matters (which it may not in any way), the election in 5 weeks could certainly have people sitting on the sidelines for this auction. 

Edited by cstojano

On 9/15/2024 at 6:25 PM, vodou said:

You're not the only one that scored today for notably less than yesteryear.

Somebody should start a thread just for those.

My guess is with so many items at once on regular basis even Burkey,Albert,Anthony,the San Mateo Bros, and the one from Boston can't protection bid Everything.

Edited by MAY1979

I thought this was so neat I had to post it. For one the artwork is incredible, I mean how do you even paint clear glass? But mainly because it's just so messed up. The kids poisoned mommy. She draws a skull and bones poison symbol on the condensation of the pitcher before she collapses. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-09-15_204403_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-09-15_204322_comics.ha.com.png

On 9/15/2024 at 8:34 PM, MAY1979 said:

My guess is with so many items at once on regular basis even Burkey,Albert,Anthony,the San Mateo Bros, and the one from Boston can't protection bid Everything.

lol San Mateo Comic Art, I remember that. 

On 9/16/2024 at 1:17 AM, delekkerste said:
On 9/15/2024 at 12:37 PM, tth2 said:

Why?  For the longest time you could get them for four figures, and then they slowly crept up into just breaking five figures.  Then suddenly, from the last Signature Auction, there's been a jump into solid middle five figures.

There have been gargantuan offers and sales made recently on V and Watchmen art that have all occurred away from the auction block. 

Yes, which fits in with my comment that there's been a quantum jump in prices recently.  My question is why?  Did a new competitor come in who has bid up pages that previously sold for four figures?  

On 9/16/2024 at 2:04 AM, delekkerste said:

There's a big divide in performance starting to appear between top pieces and everything else.  For a while, the rising tide lifted everything, but I think the sheer volume of OA that we're being constantly deluged with between Heritage's Signature and weekly auctions, Clink's Focused and Featured auctions, CC's auctions and even Hake's auctions, is really starting to exert downward pressure on a lot of stuff, particularly the lower quality stuff.

If I were a consignor, I'd be very worried about consigning anything that isn't top tier, as it seems to be a real shoot at the moment as to how one's non-top tier piece will do.

The auction houses need to be careful that they're not killing the golden goose.

On 9/15/2024 at 8:39 PM, tth2 said:

<snip>

The auction houses need to be careful that they're not killing the golden goose.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, but are you saying they should turn away consignments so they don't flood the market? :shiftyeyes:

Malvin

On 9/15/2024 at 11:39 PM, tth2 said:

the sheer volume of OA that we're being constantly deluged with... is really starting to exert downward pressure on a lot of stuff, particularly the lower quality stuff.

The difficulty right now is figuring out if this represents a buying opportunity or signals a topping situation. I'm seeing a lot of good John Buscema go for lower prices that I expected, personally. 

On 9/15/2024 at 11:29 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, which fits in with my comment that there's been a quantum jump in prices recently.  My question is why?  Did a new competitor come in who has bid up pages that previously sold for four figures?  

I'm not sure exactly what's going on but I have definitely witnessed a huge increase in FOMO for this type of material recently among people I know (including myself) who are into this material. :fear: