• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bidding on your own auction
7 7

198 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2024 at 9:46 AM, Heronext said:

The OP's rules for this thread included "No Judgment"; some posters appear to have broken this rule

OP also said this and takes this stand......so, no judgment......hm

Perhaps regardless of intent increasing the price during an auction can seem a bit unethical.

Still not convinced though. I can’t see much of a difference between starting an auction with a reserve and deciding what you want your reserve to be during the auction. 

Doesn’t seem like shill bidding to me. 

On 6/27/2024 at 2:03 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

If it's an auction with an online component, then it's a federal crime: wire fraud, which is a felony.

Shill bidding is legal in Arizona as long as it is disclosed in the auction rules.  I will assume it would be just like our pot laws.  If a state legalizes it, the Federal government doesn't enforce it's own rules.   Pot is illegal everywhere, according to the Feds, yet more than half the population lives in states where it is legal. 

On 6/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, shadroch said:

Shill bidding is legal in Arizona as long as it is disclosed in the auction rules.  I will assume it would be just like our pot laws.  If a state legalizes it, the Federal government doesn't enforce it's own rules.   Pot is illegal everywhere, according to the Feds, yet more than half the population lives in states where it is legal. 

Nope. It is a federal crime, period—fully enforced if it's caught. It would be legal in Arizona only if there is no online bidding or bidding by mail in that auction (which might be the case with smaller auctions). If there's online bidding in the auction, then it's wire fraud. If there's mail bidding in the auction, then it's mail fraud.

Pot is a bad example because that's a political minefield and the feds see the writing on the wall.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 6/27/2024 at 7:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Nope. It is a federal crime, period—fully enforced if it's caught. It would be legal in Arizona only if there is no online bidding or bidding by mail in that auction (which might be the case with smaller auctions). If there's online bidding in the auction, then it's wire fraud. If there's mail bidding in the auction, then it's mail fraud.

As is lighting a joint in the privacy of my bedroom.   Don't do the crime if you can't do it in time. 

On 6/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, shadroch said:

Fences make good neighbors. 

I’ll ask my wife her thoughts when she gets home but…is a bid considered a contract?

If yes, then I can clearly see why placing a bid on your own auction is clearly unethical and wrong. 

If no, then. Idk. It’s hard for me to say that it’s truly unethical to bid on your own auction. 

On 6/27/2024 at 10:25 AM, shadroch said:

As is lighting a joint in the privacy of my bedroom.   Don't do the crime if you can't do it in time. 

It's not the same at all. I see that you only quoted part of my previous post.

The feds know that the laws against pot are going away and have chosen not to enforce recreational use.

The laws against wire fraud and mail fraud are not going away. If anything, awareness of internet crime is increasing. Shill bidding is hard to catch, but if it's caught, it is prosecuted, especially if the dollar amounts involved are significant.

On 6/27/2024 at 10:50 AM, BlackOut21 said:

I’ll ask my wife her thoughts when she gets home but…is a bid considered a contract?

If yes, then I can clearly see why placing a bid on your own auction is clearly unethical and wrong. 

If no, then. Idk. It’s hard for me to say that it’s truly unethical to bid on your own auction. 

Daddy Shill GIF

I honestly don't think it's a crime worthy of prison. I've never done it. Don't plan on doing it. I only do BIN sales when selling. My thoughts are that I'm gonna bid what I believe a product is worth. Don't matter what everyone else is doing. I take full responsibility for any bid I place. That's the way it should be.

On 6/27/2024 at 10:32 AM, ThothAmon said:

Fences make good neighbors. 

Better:

image.gif.5ddd6e945c301d800aacb57d51535ab2.gif

On 6/27/2024 at 4:18 AM, Terry JSA said:

Heritage. Maybe? :whistle:

Heard it through a grapevine.

I for sure through this was discussed on these very boards at one point.
Something...something....it is legal in Texas for auction houses to bid on their own listings...?
Which I guess would be a conflict since those auction houses know what other bidder's max bids are.

I would just say to follow the terms of wherever you are selling/bidding.  If they don't have specific terms prohibiting behavior you dislike, don't do business with those auction houses, and feel free to send a note to them letting them know what changes you want and why.

VERY rarely are people on this website (or the world at large) in auctions for things they desperately need like groceries and baby diapers and wheelchairs, so be more selective who you buy/sell with if it matters to you.  But if you follow the law and the terms of the auction house, I'm not out here trying to police the rest of it.