• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the “BAD” mold? Huge lot SA comics.
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2024 at 9:49 PM, Blastaar said:

So I shouldn’t  even try and sell them as a deeeeeep discount on this site with full disclosure? Is that against policy or in bad taste? 

I kid, I kid

provide plenty of pictures and describe as accurately as you can

someone will take a chance on these copies at the right price

On 7/1/2024 at 11:02 AM, Funnybooks said:

the bottom edge is wear..the white specks are mold

I'm not sure about that. As Buttock said, it looks more like color removal in those spots from them being abraded while wet. All I'm seeing on those books that looks like 'mould' is rust transfer from the staples.

Edited by AJD

On 6/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, AJD said:

I'm not sure about that. As Buttock said, it looks more like color removal in those spots from them being abraded while wet. All I'm seeing on those books that looks like 'mould' is rust transfer from the staples.

^^^^^^ same

On 6/30/2024 at 6:39 PM, Blastaar said:

So throw these out? Not high dollar by any means but it’s a shame. 37 books in total. Runs of tales of suspense, strange tales, and astonish. He wanted $8 per book I got the lot for $125. Feel like I’m the sucker. 

$125 / 37 books equals about $3/book for some SA readers - sounds like a decent deal to me.

Unless you plan on opening the book and huffing from the centerfold, I wouldn't worry about it. There is likely far more health risk to the food most people eat every day than a few spots of mold on comic books sealed in bags. 

If the books are now dry, the mold growth will stop. 

White mold, often confused with a salt deposit, is a type of fungus that thrives in a moist environment with high humidity. It can grow on a variety of materials, including hard surfaces like wood and pulp.
White molds can either remain white or change to green, black, grey, or practically any other color over time.

When they first develop, white molds are very hard to detect since the spores are so tiny that they can only be seen under a microscope. Once colonies form, however, white molds appear as spots on a surface. They can be flaky, powdery, stringy or filmy at first glance. They can also resemble mildew, which is the early form of mold. However, mildew is relatively harmless when compared to white mold, which can grow not just on surfaces but also deep within organic materials.

On 6/30/2024 at 9:02 PM, Blastaar said:

Ok so the question is is all mold bad as in do these need to be tossed. 

Nah, I think this is that good mold.

I'd have it graded.

Also...if a seller states there is a problem with their books...believe them.

On 7/1/2024 at 12:06 AM, AJD said:

what were they trying to wipe off? hmlol

In my experience, if you bought the books to read and the books are separated from each other in a Mylite/W Acid Free Board the mold will not spread to other books, you will also need to keep those books away from all sources of moisture and keep the humidity where they are stored in the 40-50% range.

Once bagged and boarded you can keep them in a box by themselves and add a desiccant to the box to remove excess moisture.

This book has been sitting in my collection for 25 years with the rest of the TOS collection and has not gotten worse nor has the mold spread to any other books around it.

Tales Of Suspense 61   GD-VG3.0.JPG