• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee Commissions fuel debate over the artists asking price
3 3

35 posts in this topic

I don't want to steer this one way or the other, but...... I probably will. I'm all for an artist knowing what he's worth and asking for it. Here's the link. What sayeth yee?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/on-jim-lee-charging-up-to-35000-for-private-commission-artwork/

IMG_0694.jpeg.c7f2ead38852466bba3fc8020c666ca4.jpeg

Edited by grapeape

Approaching this a different way... Jim is an intelligent and thoughtful artist who realizes he is in a rapidly diminishing field and recognizes he has to maximize his revenue opportunities outside of the established structure while his art is still in demand. As such, the price should be whatever the market can bear.

Obviously Jim can charge whatever he wants and artists rates are going to be determined by the market. I think it is blown out of proportion as most people agree with and understand that. 
What I do find hilarious is MANY of these  creators that are supporting Jim……… let’s just say don’t carry these same beliefs in other markets/ facets of life outside their own industry when you check out their twitter posts.

On 7/1/2024 at 10:48 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I don’t have a problem with it but I would probably want a published piece from another established artist for $35K.

I agree, but it's hard to get any published art by Jim when it comes to X-Men, etc. I like the commissions I saw on Bleeding Cool, but yes I think if you're going as high as $35k, maybe you go higher. To get something that truly looks like it was created for publishing consideration. $50K ?
I don't have that kind of money. Jim Lee stands out though. Tempting. And I believe Albert Mot said the number of commissions is limited.

On 7/1/2024 at 10:56 AM, NinjaSealed said:

Obviously Jim can charge whatever he wants and artists rates are going to be determined by the market. I think it is blown out of proportion as most people agree with and understand that. 
What I do find hilarious is MANY of these  creators that are supporting Jim……… let’s just say don’t carry these same beliefs in other markets/ facets of life outside their own industry when you check out their twitter posts.

Good point. For those wondering, if you go on the link there are tons of comments positive or negative. There are a number of artists who weigh in. See the link above.

On 7/1/2024 at 11:42 AM, Xatari said:

Could you elaborate? I don’t think I follow. 

Hey Xatari. Not sure if you mean the comments by NinjaSealed, or the thread. If it's the thread, the link has the article with opinions one way or another. 

if it's NinjaSealed, yes, would you elaborate on your thoughts that; "What I do find hilarious is MANY of these  creators that are supporting Jim……… let’s just say don’t carry these same beliefs in other markets/ facets of life outside their own industry when you check out their twitter posts."

On 7/1/2024 at 11:42 AM, Xatari said:

Could you elaborate? I don’t think I follow. 

On 7/2/2024 at 12:56 AM, grapeape said:

I don't want to steer this one way or the other, but...... I probably will. I'm all for an artist knowing what he's worth and asking for it. Here's the link. What sayeth yee?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/on-jim-lee-charging-up-to-35000-for-private-commission-artwork/

That's an awesome commission. Worth every cent if you can afford it. I don't think this is a money grab as it prices many out. He is going to give u top quality for sure and likely on schedule as well. Why settle for sub par commissions.

It would go into political talk so I won’t/can’t expand. I guess I can say that many supporting Jim would complain about the inequity of many professional athletes salaries, when it is of course the identical situation.

I for one find it a breath of fresh air when artists/reps can speak plainly with customers about topics related to market  values and pricing of art and have large amounts of transparency. I am all for it.

Commissions for me are too much of a shot in the dark. Yes the artists like Jim Lee produce great published pages and commissions but.... its the expectations I do not want to pay $25K for. Alot of artist I would have loved to c=get commissions from some are dead and some do not do commissions. With a published page you know what you are getting, a commission can be hit or miss. You could give alot of direction to an artist on what you want but that will restrict their creativity. On the other hand giving them very little direction, you might have a totally different idea of the final product then they do. That is just expectations not being met.

$25K is alot to put on something you are not sure will meet your expectation. To spend 5 figures on a piece it must have strong nostalgia for me and commissions by their nature have zero nostalgia.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:56 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Artists always complain about this imaginary secondary market that exists as some get-rich-quick endeavor where us fans can all go to shows and plot to secretly become millionaires selling their sketches and signatures. Then when you bring up ebay sold prices or auction results they just pretend those aren't real. 

If artist X did 20 sketches over the course of a weekend and 1 person posted it for sale on ebay, why complain about that one person? Odds are they're trying to flip it sure, but it's also possible they didn't like the sketch or overspent at the show.

Artists also refuse to acknowledge that people who go to shows spend money to get there and go in. If I can sit at home and buy a sketch on ebay or CAF, I don't need to spend $50 or $75 for a ticket, another $40 to park plus gas and tolls, throw in missing a day or weekend of work for those non 9-5 fans and it's wicked expensive to go to show. The sketch that cost $100 at a show also includes another minimum $100 to get there so if someone sells it for $150 or $250 it's basically the same price as the original purchaser when you factor in eBay's 15%, shipping which is generally $20 for art minimum now and taxes. 

It's much cheaper to buy raw signatures now on the secondary market now with every artist charging $10, $15 or more for their signature. People deserve to be paid for their time and no one should work for free but at some point the golden goose lays her last egg. 

Reading the comments in the article as well as the multiple FB posts, I find it humorous how angry people seem to get over this. Is it because they thought they could eventually get a commission but now it's out of reach? I would bet it was already out of reach for them well before this recent round. 

I recall the same type of reaction when Tradd Moore's list opened up a few years ago. Where does the anger come from? 

On 7/1/2024 at 8:37 PM, jaykza said:

Reading the comments in the article as well as the multiple FB posts, I find it humorous how angry people seem to get over this. Is it because they thought they could eventually get a commission but now it's out of reach? I would bet it was already out of reach for them well before this recent round. 

I recall the same type of reaction when Tradd Moore's list opened up a few years ago. Where does the anger come from? 

With Tradd, my reaction was more of sadness than anger. I don't know where the anger comes from either. I do know my sadness came from missing out on the Felix drop.

As a friend of mine said, selling out art at good prices, allows the artist to plan out their year, know they can meet their obligations, and focus on a new project without rushing for fear of not making a living. Why should fans resent that?

Jim Lee is doing just fine so no tears for him. Same for Tradd. Capitalism. It's who we are. It's what we do. if I had a skill like those guys I'd leverage it for every greenback and gold bar I could lay my brush free hand on.

Asking prices are one thing. Getting them are something else. I’m curious how many people are spending that amount of money for an unpublished piece.

In terms of value, what would be the market, if any, for them? Remember those COVID drawings he did? Did they ever end up on the secondary market, and re-sell? That would be a possible indicator if these are overpriced. 

On 7/1/2024 at 12:56 PM, grapeape said:

Just pointing out that a PUBLISHED Batman Hush page would sell for about what he's charging for an 11x17 full figure commission.