• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab defect?This is strange to me
3 3

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sent in 10 Spider-man 1s  5 got 9.9s and 1 got a 10 but these are the only ones with this the 9.8s do not have this...Any thoughts?

20240704_223314[1].jpg

20240704_222845[1].jpg

20240704_224346[1].jpg

Edited by reedmach1

If you are referring to the extra plastic retainer in the slab, that is to keep it from moving.  Maybe they augment the 9.9 and 10.0 graded cases with that.  Frequently it is used for odd-sized comics that don't fit in the case particularly well. 

The plastic piece has a specific name, seen it mentioned here before, but I can't remember what it is called.  I just call it a retainer, but that's a bit generic.

Congrats on the grades!

Looks like 9.9 and 10.0 hunting season is open! Quick everyone, send in your books before they sober up and the window closes!

Posted (edited)

You're welcome!  (If I am correct)

Curious if they back-charged you increased grading fees, due to the values exceeding the tier, presuming they went in as Modern.  The 10.0 shows over $5k on GPA, and the 9.9's over $1k each.

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/4/2024 at 9:47 PM, reedmach1 said:

As far as i know i didnt get charged extra

CGC must have forgotten. I'm surprised you didn't have a substantial amount due before they would ship the comics. 

On 7/5/2024 at 5:55 AM, Jeffro. said:

If I send stuff in can I request that grader? 

sure seems like it these days

One could make an argument in comic book history that this little title here started the 90's drek era.  Ton of variant covers.  Restarting, or (adding in this case) a series with a *number one* because that will get a sales boost.  Oversaturation of popular heroes in different series, (this was his 4th title when it came out?))  I'd say it was a gamechanger.  Don't get me wrong.  I was 10 when this came out and collected it, and lovingly look back at what a cool cover and idea/concept it was...but yeah, comic books still haven't changed since this came out, which BTW big surprise is my big complaint with what the industry has become today.   

(steps off soap box)

Cool book to see it in so many high grades!

On 7/6/2024 at 9:04 AM, Lost said:

Ton of variant covers. 

(shrug)

Spider-Man #1 - Black Silver & Green Covers - Todd McFarlane Marvel Comics 1990 - Picture 1 of 15

hm

(this was his 4th title when it came out?))

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 CGC-SS 7.5 SIGNED STAN LEE ASM CREATOR PREMIERE ISSUE 1963 - Picture 1 of 6

MARVEL TEAM-UP #1 CGC 8.0 1st issue! Spider-Man, Human Torch, Sandman (1972)

Spectacular Spider-Man Peter Parker #1 CGC 9.8 SS Lee 1976 1406033033

Web of Spider-Man 1N Vess Newsstand Variant CGC 9.8 1985 3961555022

this little title here started the 90's drek era.

Batman Legends Of The Dark Knight #1 Lot Of 4, All Four Cover Colors! - Picture 1 of 9

:whistle: