• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone recognize this 1970's / 80's page ?

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Looks more like Prince Valiant or Robin Hood to me.

I did think that too :shy: And wondered how to spot it to confirm, I didn't really grow up with those to watch in film or etc. over and over, but have seen something that it DOES look like that (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/6/2024 at 2:10 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Looks more like Prince Valiant or Robin Hood to me.

I'm pretty sure it's Marvel and i don't think there was a Prince Valiant Marvel series then.

My thought was a series called Sword Of Sorcery from the mid 1970's but cannot find this page in that run.

I agree the art style does not look like Conan (and I don't think this is Gil Kane) but I thought I could see the outline of the word "barbarian" in the indicia at the top of the page so i thought it could be from a Conan back-up story or pin-up page but the writing is barely visible so I may be wrong.

The answer lies in the indicia but it's impossible to read. Apart from what might be "barbarian" there is the faintest partial outlines of what looks like "Sword", "Denny O'Neil" and "Page 1" but it's so faint I'm having to fill in the blanks and imagine half the letters. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:08 AM, r100comics said:

The answer lies in the indicia but it's impossible to read.

Maybe you can use thin tracing paper and a soft charcoal pencil to do a light rubbing of the indicia to pick up the impressions so you can see more?

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 3:55 PM, buttock said:

Looks more like a book illustration

Yup. More resembles a ‘poster’ illustration you’d find after a comic story, or a portfolio or plate illustration, especially with the colour palette used. Possibly even black-and-white art that’s been coloured in.

Doesn’t really resemble the type of colouring you’d ordinarily see in a Marvel or DC comic. More a fairly rough, felt-tip marker effect.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/6/2024 at 12:29 PM, grendel013 said:

Gerry Embleton

If that is Gerry Emberton, it's a style of his I've never seen. I only know his military work.

On 7/6/2024 at 3:44 PM, shadroch said:

If that is Gerry Emberton, it's a style of his I've never seen. I only know his military work.

He did work for Once Upon a Time magazine and this seems to fit along those lines.

On 7/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, grendel013 said:

He did work for Once Upon a Time magazine and this seems to fit along those lines.

Okay, I have only seen his work in Osprey, which is very different. I know nothing about him

On 7/6/2024 at 3:28 PM, Uff_Da said:

Maybe something from his Ring of the Nibelung adaptation? Or even a Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser story?

I thought of the Gray Mouser but rejected the idea.  The swordsman reminds me of the character from the Sword of Shannara, but the other two don't.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've come round to the general consensus this is Gil Kane and since "Sword" is the clearest word on the indicia I looked through Gil Kane's Sword Of The Atom but that's not a fantasy title. The annoying thing now is that this thread and the image I posted myself is what comes up when I research this on google. lol

The indicia is the "blank" portion at the top of the page above the artwork.

It's not actually blank but has title, issue number, page number, approval date etc but is too faint to read.