• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting my expectations. How does this go ?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

What explain this price raise on Walt Simonson's Thor sketches on the second market ? He doesn't do them anymore at Cons  ???

(Glad I bought a nice one some years ago)

Edited by Ecclectica

On 7/13/2024 at 12:48 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Did you get on offer on Facebook for like 800 or something? 

yeah got an offer on one of the 3  within a couple of hours, but really id like to aim for 1000ish i think

On 7/13/2024 at 7:18 AM, Dr_Strange said:

yeah got an offer on one of the 3  within a couple of hours, but really id like to aim for 1000ish i think

I hear ya… maybe counter that offer? Selling sketches is dicey especially on odd paper and in a book. And simonson when the mood hits still sketches at shows cheap 

I can't imagine that these are selling that high, even outside of the sketchbooks. I've seen plenty for sale way under $1,000. I thought a lot of the Simonson sketches were selling low lately. I know there are a bunch of them up for sale.

But, as to the expectations: Yes, I'd say they're set too high.

Sketches in books are worthless to me and many other collectors. We can't take them out and enjoy them, because then we've taken a page out of a book.

I hate when artists sketch on the inside of a book cover because there is no way that's coming out. Ever.

Years ago, when I was friends with Carmine Infantino, he offered to do a sketch for me for $100 -- but it would have to be inside his book. Nah, I didn't want one inside a book, so I asked him to do one on a single piece of what paper and he said that it would cost $500 to do that. I finally got him to come down to $175 and on a separate sheet of white paper, but he told me not to ever tell Nadia Manarino, who was, at that time, selling his art for him. He also told me not to tell our mutual friend, J. David Spurlock, because David was also handling Infantino at the time. Carmine said they would both make him charge me $500 or more to do the drawing.

Edited by Michael Browning

On 7/12/2024 at 5:31 PM, Ecclectica said:

What explain this price raise on Walt Simonson's Thor sketches on the second market ? He doesn't do them anymore at Cons  ???

(Glad I bought a nice one some years ago)

I can only speak to conventions I've attended on the East Coast over the past few years, but Walt still sketches at cons.  Usually, they are quick sketches, similar in detail to some of the Thor sketches posted in this thread.  They are quite affordable, but he does a limited amount of sketching per day as his lineup is massive and he needs to sign a lot of books for fans. 

I don't recall the exact prices he asks for sketches, but you can afford one, even if you are on a limited budget (size & detail will vary according).  Funds (partial/full) are often donated to charities.

You can see prices realized for his sketches/illos on HA.  Prices, sizing, and details vary widely.

On 7/15/2024 at 8:01 AM, Michael Browning said:

Sketches in books are worthless to me and many other collectors. We can't take them out and enjoy them, because then we've taken a page out of a book.

I hate when artists sketch on the inside of a book cover because there is no way that's coming out. Ever.

image.gif.570d1d5a11e52d1eaf815c6b4532789a.gif

What’s the difference between a drawing being tucked away in an itoya, or a sketchbook being tucked away ? Surely a drawing is a drawing ?  Walt took his time with these, they are more involved than his con sketches. 
bearing in mind all the comments about being in a sketchbook , colour of paper etc, and comparing with the sketches which go for 3-400, what could these go for ? People up the thread have suggested around 1k is right, but obviously other commentators have differing opinions. I find pricing endlessly fascinating and frustrating :)

On 7/15/2024 at 9:01 AM, Michael Browning said:

Sketches in books are worthless to me and many other collectors.

Undesirable in most cases, yes, but not worthless. If the right art showed up in a sketchbook and the price was right (and could be removed)- I would definitely consider it. 

On 7/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, JadeGiant said:

Undesirable in most cases, yes, but not worthless. If the right art showed up in a sketchbook and the price was right (and could be removed)- I would definitely consider it. 

Me personally it's a big nope. 

On 7/15/2024 at 12:32 PM, Dr_Strange said:

What’s the difference between a drawing being tucked away in an itoya, or a sketchbook being tucked away ? Surely a drawing is a drawing ?  Walt took his time with these, they are more involved than his con sketches. 
bearing in mind all the comments about being in a sketchbook , colour of paper etc, and comparing with the sketches which go for 3-400, what could these go for ? People up the thread have suggested around 1k is right, but obviously other commentators have differing opinions. I find pricing endlessly fascinating and frustrating :)

The difference is a sharp exacto knife, a ruler, 15 seconds, and initiative :cheers:

I guess I'm the outlier but if it's a creator I collect I would absolutely purchase a sketch in a book, and I have.  I've also personally amassed a large collection of sketches/remarks in books that can be seen in my CAF although mine are generally not as detailed as the Simonson examples being discussed. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=35058

On 7/15/2024 at 8:41 PM, MIL0S said:

I guess I'm the outlier but if it's a creator I collect I would absolutely purchase a sketch in a book, and I have.  I've also personally amassed a large collection of sketches/remarks in books that can be seen in my CAF although mine are generally not as detailed as the Simonson examples being discussed. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=35058

That’s a great collection !

On 7/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, JadeGiant said:

Undesirable and worthless to me. I hate them. Hate -- almost as much as I hate blank comic sketch covers. I hate those more. But, both are attached to a book/comic, so there's that common denominator.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:59 PM, Michael Browning said:

Undesirable and worthless to me. I hate them. Hate -- almost as much as I hate blank comic sketch covers. I hate those more. But, both are attached to a book/comic, so there's that common denominator.

Back in 2021, just before I moved onto OA. I collected graded sketch covers. Now at the time, that's what I could afford. I did like the idea of collecting an original sketch onto a graded book. Especially when their commissioned. But when I kept seeing the same thing over and over again. Everything got repetitive. Maybe less than a year, I sold everything at a loss. I can see how people like collecting them. It just wasn't for me.  

On 7/15/2024 at 12:32 PM, Dr_Strange said:

I generally don’t care for sketches because they are just that—sketches. I would rather pay $500-1,500 for a detailed drawing than $150-1000 for a sketch. I also don’t care for the paper which is usually used, as compared to good drawing paper, which produces a better result. So, I wouldn’t pay $250-$500 for a Bruce Timm sketch of Batman, but if I wanted one, would pay $1,500 for a drawing. And as for Walt’s sketches, I would pass.