• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC SS Damage to Book
3 3

29 posts in this topic

So I don’t know where to go from here.  I sent my 9.8 graded Wolverine Limited Series #1 to the Wolverine anniversary signing event.  It came back as a lower grade which I understand was the risk I took.  However, I am very disappointed with the way the book was handled.  I never would have thought they would use such poor care.  It was just delivered yesterday and came back with at least 8 bends and ticks on the spine.  I waited 2 months for the book to be pressed after the signing, and it doesn’t look like it was pressed at all.  This book was in great condition when it was sent in and was shipped in the original graded slab.  I reached out to CGC customer service and the answer was essentially sorry but you took the risk when sending it.  They wouldn’t even agree to properly press the book and re-grade it at their expense.  This was my first time using Signature Series.  Is this what should be expected?  Based on these pictures, does it at all look pressed?  If this is the norm, why would anyone take this risk to send books in for these events let alone pay for pressing services?  Very disappointed and frustrated.

IMG_1470.png

IMG_1460.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

On 7/9/2024 at 6:23 PM, DanJD said:

Uh….yeah.  Now that you say that, the inner well and book is bent!

IMG_1471.jpeg

So, what do I do now?  They knew this was happening and kept using these inner wells?  This explains a lot because none of those bad color breaking bends look present at time of CGC imaging.

IMG_1472.png

On 7/9/2024 at 7:59 PM, CGC Mike said:

Send this back to us as a ME (holder defect) Be sure to write this on the packing slip. 

ATTN: Operations manager Dale ******* 

Approved by Mike Greenwood

Please press and regrade at no charge to the customer, as the book was damaged due to a warped inner well.

Please send me the tracking number when this ships, and a copy of this post.  Be sure to complete the submission form before the 14 day window expires.  Submit as a Mechanical Error (Holder defect)  After you complete the form, a prepaid shipping label will be sent to you through our website.  (not by e-mail). 

Thanks Mike.  I appreciate the quick reply and action.  I will get this sent back as soon as possible.  Hopefully the re-press will fix most of the damage done.

If @CGC Mike has a way to mention this inner well flaw to the higher ups, I’ve watched a lot of YouTube unboxings in recent weeks where the inner wells (moreso on books from the 1980s and early 90s) seem to be really pinching the book causing bends that had been pressed out to reappear. Not sure why this era of books is seeing it the most or what can be done but it never used to be an issue 

On 7/10/2024 at 11:23 AM, comicginger1789 said:

If @CGC Mike has a way to mention this inner well flaw to the higher ups, I’ve watched a lot of YouTube unboxings in recent weeks where the inner wells (moreso on books from the 1980s and early 90s) seem to be really pinching the book causing bends that had been pressed out to reappear. Not sure why this era of books is seeing it the most or what can be done but it never used to be an issue 

I took another picture.  You can really see the bend of the book.IMG_1475.thumb.jpeg.26c33c7b7b360beb2ad2c1b5edf5c264.jpeg

On 7/10/2024 at 12:44 PM, JollyComics said:

Issues with QC is never going away.

I don’t think it’s quality control. If it is I don’t get why it affects a certain age of books primarily. I mean maybe those in charged of encapsulating the older stuff do a better job? I really don’t know all I know is a year ago it wasn’t an issue and now it is 

• Administrator

This book is being sent back to us.  Upper management was made aware of this problem.  It will be inspected very closely by our Operations Manager and vintage graders will most likely see it too.  Then, it is to be pressed and regraded.

He was in the encapsulation area today inspecting all submissions checking for this problem, and found no evidence of it.  He also stated that nobody has sent any books back except the ones that I helped people with on the forum.  So, I do not believe this is a widespread problem  based on the feedback I have been given from the team, as other vintage graders have also inspected books that have been encapsulated.

• Administrator
On 7/10/2024 at 11:36 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

Look at the scan that CGC provided.
https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4403160001/

Now, compare that to the photos that the OP posted.  I don't see any of those spine ticks in the CGC scan, whereas they are rampant in the OP photos.

It's pure speculation on my part, but this suggests to me that the problem is happening AFTER the scan, but prior to receipt by the customers.  Maybe a combination of the summer heat and jostling around in transit warps these inner wells.  This could explain why no evidence was found of the problem in the encapsulation area today.

Again, just a theory.

Thanks.  This has been passed along to the team.

Mike

On 7/10/2024 at 10:36 PM, masterlogan2000 said:

Look at the scan that CGC provided.
https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4403160001/

Now, compare that to the photos that the OP posted.  I don't see any of those spine ticks in the CGC scan, whereas they are rampant in the OP photos.

Some.....but possibly not all......of this is due to lighting and the fact that the CGC scan is a "head on" image.

If you use extreme magnification, you can see hints of some of the damage even on the CGC scan.  I've posted sections from the book below, with the customer provided images on the left, and the CGC provided images on the right.  In the CGC images, one telltale sign to look for is the glare line from the lights that runs down the spine of the book (just a millimeter or two to the right of the spine edge).  This glare line is straight when there is no damage...but you'll see it bow a bit when there's a bit of a crease, even if you can't actually see the crease itself.

Compare1.thumb.jpg.70a845cc9f11f7ffb1ec0a2384da9e66.jpg

Compare2.thumb.jpg.8cd616143f6f906331d545e62a186375.jpg

In this last comparison, you can't really see any damage in the CGC image.....but you can see where the glare line bows slightly in that area.

Compare3.thumb.jpg.6c2b48cdc096626e0fc0a576a18a2cf7.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato