• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real CGC Slab?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Recently bought a slab from what not auction... We all know we can only see so much details via a mobile app... The slab arrived today, and before I confront the seller, I need to make sure I'm confronting for the right things.

It appears to be cheaply and barley held together.

The label looks like something that could of been printed on a decent printer and the CGC sticker just appears foil-y, if that makes sense?

The CGC # listed is 1207967037

Attached are some images... You can see I just take my finger nail and can pry the side open, and even the top sticker came off with the tape...

20240714_044736~2.jpg

20240714_044723~2.jpg

20240714_044703~2.jpg

20240714_044656~2.jpg

Edited by forbiddenwon

• Administrator

Hi @forbiddenwon,

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to help! I was able to pull this comic up on the Verify CGC Certification page. There are no images of the comic but the description and certification number match. I have attached the screenshot below as well. From what we can tell the comic is the one we certified. 

Please let us know if you have any concerns.  

Thank you,  

Until the present iteration, slabs were not sealed on the sides, and the two pieces of plastic could be pried a little apart just by bare hands.  They could also be cracked open by bare hands, which made de-slabbing books a lot easier than it is now.

• Administrator
On 7/16/2024 at 1:47 AM, forbiddenwon said:

Is this slab such poor quality because it's an earlier version? Or is it just an isolated bad slab?

As @namisgr mentioned, this is a perfect example of our older slabs. Since then, we have made many upgrades to the holders for security as well as to enhance the eye appeal of books under our guarantee. Thanks for checking! 

WHat sucks is that once these slabs are sold on eBay, the buyers tend to return them to the sellers cause they aren't educated enough, reholdering/shipping both ways eats away profit margins