• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock horror! When you bought a book and discovered an unexpected defect
4 4

49 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, CGC Mike said:

It was a manufacturing defect.  I was not amused seems it was not disclosed.  I started a thread in 2011 I believe about verified grades from a large dealer.  

Manufacturing defect sold to you by a dealer undisclosed is very sloppy.

You'd think the dealer would of opened the book to check at least the centerfold is secured.

And all the pages were present and no missing coupons inside the book.

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2024 at 11:16 AM, southern cross said:

Fats comics rocked when Grant had the store. I didn't meet the new owner and popped into the store during my last visit in 2019 and picked up a giant size X-Men 1.

The shop had changed since Grant owned it. When he did us regulars use to meet up at the store on Saturday afternoons and pick up cool books.

I bought my Avengers 1, Flash 105, Marvel Mystery 82, Crimesupsense stories 22, Fantastic Four 6 and 9 and that's the books off the top of my head.

Vintage comic book stores that don't do new issues are the best places to buy vintage and back issue comics.

When you mentioned a comic store had closed I thought you were talking about the shop down the road from Fats. That store looked like it was on its last legs to me in 2019.

Wow! GSX1 is one of my dream grails. Great pick up. The shop down from Fat's has been replaced by Comics Plus which has a decent range of back issues as well as new stuff. They also host a sellers market every couple of months which can be good. Visiting the Fat's store in the last couple of years there weren't many tempting wall books like the ones you mentioned and the bins were heavily picked. It's so tough to make enough money to run a bricks and mortar store these days

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 7/15/2024 at 12:30 AM, MattrixAlien said:

Share an experience, including photos, of a comic you thought was ok, but when you took a closer look there was a nasty defect.

Here's my example. On the weekend I went to a closing down sale of a store over here in Brisbane, Australia. The shop was packed with people. As a Jim Lee fan I was happy to find an Alpha Flight 51, Jim Lee's 1st art for Marvel, while digging through the bins. It looked solid and for $4 I didn't bother pulling it out of the bag & board to inspect it.

AlphaFlight51FrontCover.thumb.jpg.59d0ebc2dbded5e04fb9723456336c0b.jpg

When I got it home I found this on the back cover.

AlphaFlight51BackCoverStain.thumb.jpg.11c916b71e1ab425cac099c22e22ec8e.jpg

It looks a combined mould food stain. A shock twist :(

However I don't really understand how you could be shocked at this point for $4. When I clicked on this thread I tought it was about expensive stuff. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2024 at 12:08 AM, BA773 said:

However I don't really understand how you could be shocked at this point for $4. When I clicked on this thread I tought it was about expensive stuff. 

Hi BA773, how's the coverless book collection going? :bigsmile: Shock was hyperbole I suppose to make the topic sound interesting. Based on the condition of the front cover I was disappointed to find a gross stain on the back of the book. I think it's an understandable reaction even with a relatively cheap book. Other posters in this topic have had issues with expensive stuff.  

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 7/27/2024 at 8:49 AM, MattrixAlien said:

Hi BA773, how's the coverless book collection going? :bigsmile: Shock was hyperbole I suppose to make the topic sound interesting. Based on the condition of the front cover I was disappointed to find a gross stain on the back of the book. I think it's an understandable reaction even with a relatively cheap book. Other posters in this topic have had issues with expensive stuff.  

Yeah as I tought you not really had some good exemple yourself but It was a way to start an interesting thread :peace:

The collecting goes well.

About 14 or 15 years ago, I bought a Batman 155, which is around a 5.5 to 6.0 with off-white to white pages from a very reputable dealer at a show I had bought from many times previously. I didn’t check the book until more recently, and discovered an entire page missing affecting the story, thus making it a 0.5. As you can see from the photo, it is very hard to see, and I have no doubt that the dealer missed it. He would have made me whole had I checked it then. Newbie lesson learned. Suffice it to say it wasn’t $50, which I originally paid for it, to replace it in a similar grade.

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

On 7/15/2024 at 4:22 PM, Robot Man said:

Got this with “very minor water damage”.  Graded good. Looked very presentable in the picture. From a well known dealer. Back it went.

IMG_6589.jpeg

This books seems to have been stored in the same kind of place than where his inside story is happening

Edited by Coverdeath