• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

Of course no way to know how this all plays out but PSA, due to widespead name recognition in collectible grading, will present a significant larger challenge than CBCS.    To casually dismiss them will be a huge mistake by CGC. * Especially as CGC slab issue may allow PSA to get a foot in the door.

*unless of course PSA starts playing the grade determined by how much yearly biz the submitter does with them game in order to maintain consistent census averages - as they have done with cards since early 2022

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/24/2024 at 4:46 PM, Kevin76 said:

Mark Wilson is the new head grader of PSA  

What 'cha gonna do, when Mark Wilson runs wild on you!?!?!

I tried watching that 2 hour video.  Learned interesting stuff. Steve Geppi invented the direct sales distribution system. Cool.  And there’s a 9.2 graded Action 1. Wow. 

I’m curious about what PSA would bring to the party, but I saved close to 2 hours when I stopped watching it. 

On 7/25/2024 at 12:07 AM, Aman619 said:

I tried watching that 2 hour video.  Learned interesting stuff. Steve Geppi invented the direct sales distribution system. Cool.  And there’s a 9.2 graded Action 1. Wow. 

I’m curious about what PSA would bring to the party, but I saved close to 2 hours when I stopped watching it. 

there's maybe an informative 30 minutes imbedded in that 2 hours, but Dave (the son) interjects and interrupts too much and will throw in irrelevant tangents when he needs to just STFU and let dad finish a complete sentence. The 2 things that I took from this are:  After Spidey300tamper-gate they've designed a new case that is not a clamshell and is more tamper-evident, resistance, whatever. They would not give specifics.  The other big thing is that it seems that the comics they grade won't be in an inner-well inside the case? and the single biggest reveals is they will have 2 different case types: A citadel or fortress case that is the premium- better quality, durability, and larger size, approaching that of the magazine size CGC case. Then there will be the regular case that is a cheaper option.  So perhaps you can get grading done and not spend as much on the case? Or pay the same but be able to pay for a more premium case. 

Given how much they are promoting the PSA Vault, I could see them encouraging getting everything graded and just stored with the them, which makes the case, case design, label design, all that cosmetic stuff that others have nitpicked in this thread irrelevant.  It's all about the grade, not the case, the custom labels, registry sets, and that silly stuff that started to over-shadow the comic itself that collectors began to obsess over, and make into it's own collecting goal.   If it's sitting in a darkened, climate controlled vault somewhere in another state- there's no need for special boxes, special lighting, special bags to keep them from rubbing or getting scratched, reholdering  - all the added cost of owning a slab that's have nothing to do with the comic itself.  It may seem antithetical to older generations of collectors with a comic room or old-school dealers with massive display walls and boxes of slabs and comics, but like MCS, they just saved you space and time, eliminated the need to store, pay for transport, go to conventions. You can just go out and "buy" a share of an Action 1 with 500 of your buddies on the eBay app and maybe see a picture of it, and maybe it sends you an email with a proof-of-life photo on your birthday.  It all sounds soulless and logical and horrible and inevitable all at the same time. But CGC's business model is about to get upended as this giant asteroid hurtles there way. This thread gets locked before too long and a new "He who shall not be named" edict is probably on the horizon.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

Will they deduct from the grade for centering on comic books like they do for cards? I have always thought deducting from the grade of a card for centering when it was manufactured that way (especially how hard they hit the grade for this on an other wise pristine looking card) was just wrong. To me an object's grade should be based on condition: how much it still is like it was when it was made or new, manufacturing defects should not count or if anything count in a subgrade, not the primary grade on condition.

Edited by Jaylam

On 7/25/2024 at 3:07 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Given how much they are promoting the PSA Vault, I could see them encouraging getting everything graded and just stored with the them, which makes the case, case design, label design, all that cosmetic stuff that others have nitpicked in this thread irrelevant. 

They can encourage all they want it doesn’t mean anyone is going to use it. The eBay vault (now PSA vault) has been around for sometime for things like cards, and there’s a very small percentage of cards that are actually there vs the millions that exist in slabs in the wild. I’m not saying the vault is a bad thing, I think it has its usefulness, but to think you’re going to see most slabs housed there so you can ignore cosmetics is just not going to be true. Personally I don’t think too much of the cosmetics but I have heard time and time again about the CBCS labels from a lot of people, and how many collectors did not like the look of them so they chose CGC. The presentation of the label is a big deal to a lot of collectors and I don’t see that changing.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:07 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

The other big thing is that it seems that the comics they grade won't be in an inner-well inside the case? and the single biggest reveals is they will have 2 different case types: A citadel or fortress case that is the premium- better quality, durability, and larger size, approaching that of the magazine size CGC case. Then there will be the regular case that is a cheaper option.  So perhaps you can get grading done and not spend as much on the case? Or pay the same but be able to pay for a more premium case. 

The inner well design protects the book in the event the case is shaken, dropped, or things like that. Any amount of play inside of the case can lead to damage if the book is loose and there is no inner well. If they use a design without it they will need to display to comic collectors that their books are still protected to the same degree. That is going to take trialing by impartial people outside of their org. 

On 7/25/2024 at 5:07 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

there's maybe an informative 30 minutes imbedded in that 2 hours, but Dave (the son) interjects and interrupts too much and will throw in irrelevant tangents when he needs to just STFU and let dad finish a complete sentence. The 2 things that I took from this are:  After Spidey300tamper-gate they've designed a new case that is not a clamshell and is more tamper-evident, resistance, whatever. They would not give specifics.  The other big thing is that it seems that the comics they grade won't be in an inner-well inside the case? and the single biggest reveals is they will have 2 different case types: A citadel or fortress case that is the premium- better quality, durability, and larger size, approaching that of the magazine size CGC case. Then there will be the regular case that is a cheaper option.  So perhaps you can get grading done and not spend as much on the case? Or pay the same but be able to pay for a more premium case. 

Given how much they are promoting the PSA Vault, I could see them encouraging getting everything graded and just stored with the them, which makes the case, case design, label design, all that cosmetic stuff that others have nitpicked in this thread irrelevant.  It's all about the grade, not the case, the custom labels, registry sets, and that silly stuff that started to over-shadow the comic itself that collectors began to obsess over, and make into it's own collecting goal.   If it's sitting in a darkened, climate controlled vault somewhere in another state- there's no need for special boxes, special lighting, special bags to keep them from rubbing or getting scratched, reholdering  - all the added cost of owning a slab that's have nothing to do with the comic itself.  It may seem antithetical to older generations of collectors with a comic room or old-school dealers with massive display walls and boxes of slabs and comics, but like MCS, they just saved you space and time, eliminated the need to store, pay for transport, go to conventions. You can just go out and "buy" a share of an Action 1 with 500 of your buddies on the eBay app and maybe see a picture of it, and maybe it sends you an email with a proof-of-life photo on your birthday.  It all sounds soulless and logical and horrible and inevitable all at the same time. But CGC's business model is about to get upended as this giant asteroid hurtles there way. This thread gets locked before too long and a new "He who shall not be named" edict is probably on the horizon.

Any guesses on when the first company to grade comics and then encase them in really really really tamper proof lucite will debut?

Good luck cracking that slab!  lol

On 7/24/2024 at 12:46 PM, Stefan_W said:

I submit to CGC from Canada and there was only one time I was dinged with fees, and this likely because somewhere along the line someone did something wrong. Probably around a hundred or so other shipments were all fine and duty free. Having said this, FedEx still sees fit to charge us with a $38-$40 fee (depending on exchange rates that day) to process the customs forms. If you are lucky enough to use FedEx shipping each way you get to pay that extra fee twice. 

Yeah that’s the problem lol no consistency so it’s always a gamble and a prayer lol I have a lot of books I need to submit but costs could sky rocket… so not sure what to do. Mostly grading for protection and ti maybe do trades with others for bigger books that are in my radar like x men 1 another af15 etc 

Under close observation, you can see they are not using an inner well. The book like their cards will have the ability to move in all directions. A comic book in the PSA holder as shown will surely experience shaken comic syndrome 

One more iteration if PSA insists on having their "trademark" red border going the full length of the label and having their lighthouse logo directly in the bottom middle. This one uses the PSA blue color to highlight the grade area.

psa-3.jpg

On 7/26/2024 at 2:00 PM, uncannyjames said:

One more iteration if PSA insists on having their "trademark" red border going the full length of the label and having their lighthouse logo directly in the bottom middle. This one uses the PSA blue color to highlight the grade area.

psa-3.jpg

Personally to me that blue is unnecessary, and even cheapens the look as well as creating odd white space issues with the rounded corners and red border (and the drop shadow does not help - keep it clean white text on blue in this case). Having the grade numbers, like the rest of the label text, as black font on white background looks cleaner and more like an 'official' respectable certificate for a premium product. 

I think people are just clinging too hard to the idea of 'universal blue' being included on every label for every company.