• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - My Ocd's finally won against me, maybe I'm end up with comics...
2 2

24 posts in this topic

So few weeks ago, after months and months of deals with my ocd's, to be concerned by the shape of my books which never had a perfect cover condition as i wanted, I took the path of REMOVING THE COVERS! Now few times after started this process and with already 75% of the books of my collection which have now the cover detached I realize it's an eternal mess... I m now concerned by corner and details like this... its a never ending madness... so now what I have to do? I guess nobody will buy books with detached cover... so what I do? Just sell the stuff which survived and throw out all the rest for recycling? 

It's here a sad story and probably the death of another collector...

What are your advise guys? 

I'm still in balance between give up or not... 

Could i simply totally avoid the condition a day or is it an eternal headache?

On 7/21/2024 at 3:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nicely put, Paul.

@BA773

Work out what you like, is my advice. Stop asking other people what you should like, and go and find it for yourself….

….But if all your posts and threads are about deciding each week that you're doing it wrong, changing course and being generally dissatisfied, then that won't endear you to many here. 

Good luck. 

That’s one reason why, looking back, the tone in the last sentence of my post sounded a little frustrated.

The older boardies here lived in more isolated times, when meeting other fans and finding good sources for comics and information was much more difficult. Carving out the right path for yourself required much more hard work, myriad real world social learning experiences, both good and bad, gains and losses.

I don’t mind advising a bit from my reservoir of four decades’ worth of accumulated knowledge and experience, but when the interaction devolves into repetitive spoon-feeding and allowing an online newbie to safely navigate that minefield, then it’s progressing a little too much into one-way, informational exploitation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, Ken Aldred said:

That’s one reason why, looking back, the tone in the last sentence of my post sounded a little frustrated.

The older boardies here lived in more isolated times, when meeting other fans and finding good sources for comics and information was much more difficult. Carving out the right path for yourself required much more hard work, myriad real world social learning experiences, both good and bad, gains and losses.

I don’t mind advising a bit from my reservoir of four decades’ worth of accumulated knowledge and experience, but when the interaction evolves into repetitive spoon-feeding and allowing an online newbie to safely navigate that familiar, historical minefield, then it’s progressing a little too much into one-way, informational exploitation.

Well, it was a quiet "I told you so", speaking of frustration for those who offered up thoughts, as when he started the thread that said, "I'm going to tear off covers?" It was said that he would regret it, told him to sleep on it, in other words perhaps no he should not. One can easily be sympathetic when there is no context, longsuffering takes a spirit, and I believe you tried to empathize that though thoughts can seem convoluted it is better to shake yourself and set it aside that what besets us.

It is the reason I liked your post, basically if it isn't causing peace don't do it, but as you stated, there is more in this world that we "can't control" and we only voice about who rubs off the most irritation. lol 

Now your post that it didn't need to be "stated" as your last sentence, and yet sometimes tough love is all the sympathy and empathy to offer..... prayers for 1st world problems are hard! :insane:

but completely human :cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

In short, eyes can be opened in experience, and sometimes it can only take that route, regardless of the frame of reference it takes the frame of mind to come to "a conclusion" to then decide. :) 

This too shall pass :headbang: 

On 7/21/2024 at 10:10 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In short, eyes can be opened in experience, and sometimes it can only take that route, regardless of the frame of reference it takes the frame of mind to come to "a conclusion" to then decide. :) 

This too shall pass :headbang: 

Cheers @BA773 Take a breather, take a rest, it is all we need sometimes; the edge taken off :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/21/2024 at 12:53 PM, BA773 said:

Want you to have me again trough these forums?

Yes, by the way. Find the thing you love, BA, and come back and tell us all about it :foryou:

On 7/21/2024 at 4:50 AM, BA773 said:

So few weeks ago ...... I took the path of REMOVING THE COVERS!  I'm now concerned by corner and details like this... its a never ending madness.

Just call me Son of Nostradamus:

On 6/8/2024 at 1:37 PM, BA773 said:

Maybe coverless could be my release

On 6/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, zzutak said:

Nope.  You'll only replace obsessing about cover blemishes with obsessing about page quality, shadows, spine splits, staple tears, etc.  :cry:  :hi:

SSC130c1.thumb.jpg.608983e60744dde3c1c703295db673d6.jpgSSC130c2.thumb.jpg.34435941642e4eb982ea9fb63412320b.jpgSSC130c3.thumb.jpg.3a6a9fcd06529c10b2260c28ca180435.jpg

In all honesty, it was a no-brainer, given what I've seen during your short time on the Boards.  :facepalm:

What the people who recommand the digital seems to not understand is that I already read plenty of comics online... but collecting and reading is 2 really different things... I collect some series and books because I want to have the original material, simple as that :(

What I was actually recommending was some way, any way, which allows you to get the most out of it without tearing yourself up with extreme anxiety, whether that involves a physical or a digital focus.

Home is a place where you should be able to relax and appreciate the comics to the fullest, not stress out this much. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

I originally misread the first post in a previous thread and thought that he was just switching to buying cheaper coverless comics, and missed the carnage aspect completely.

Edited by Ken Aldred