• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con
1 1

79 posts in this topic

I thought this might be a fun thread to hear all things SDCC. I have never attended and now it seems it may not now be on my bucket list as it once was, but I would love to hear y’all stories thoughts past and present. The one that you landed in the boat and the one that got away, friends you met, artists tales the whole nine yards! 

For those attending, how do you plan your activities, what do you like to see and do etc…

Bring it!!!

This will be my third year going. Last year I didn't pick up anything, but this year's different. I already have a pick-up with Burkey. I agree with Xatari, premier night is usually where I open my wallet. The remainder of the week I just do the normal walk through and check out everything. Can't say I've connected with any fellow collectors at the show. Met a couple here and there. But overall love the experience and I made sure I make my dinner reservations way in advance.     

Been attending SDCC off and on since 1992, with being a more frequent attendee since 2014.

Biggest lands for me - getting the "I am hope" page from Sandman 4 in 1994, which is THE only page I ever wanted to have out of the series.  I was helping out Phillip Anderson at his table, and some guy came over wanting to trade some art for comics.  I tell him Phillip was finishing up with another customer and asked what he had to kill time.  He proceeds to pull the 2 pages from Sandman 4 out, and I was floored.  Phillip knew how badly I wanted them, made the deal to get them, and worked a deal with me after.

Right up there has been being able to commission art from Dave McKean through Allen Spiegel / ASFA.  I got my first commission in 1992, and ultimately wanted to get a portrait of each of the Endless from Dave.  Took time to meet this goal with not attending a lot in the early 2000s, and taking detours by requesting things outside of the box, but it happened.

Things that got away - I remember seeing the Sandman Brief Lives poster art in 1997 at SDCC.  It was a huge piece.  Couldn't pull the trigger on it, but definitely should've done it.

Have been able to meet a lot of great people at the convention through the years (dealers, artists, and collectors), and enjoy being able to see and spend time with them if schedules align during the con, even if it is a quick chat.  Hope to attend Brian Peck's OA dinner this year, since the ones I have attended in the past were wonderful experiences.  Lots of stories and great conversation and art.

As far as the con goes, like Xatari mentioned, I try to take care of things on Preview Night.  Have some commissions lined up already, want to try and see and drool over as much as I can squeeze in, and see who else I know is running around.  My wife is attending for the 2nd year in a row, so Thursday is her day to go, and it's more focused on what she wants to see... but she happens to like art, so it's more of the same.  😀

Friday and Saturday we'll try to avoid the horde at the con and do other things around the city or meet up with family and friends in the area.  Highly recommend the City Tours whale / dolphin cruise...  However, when my wife wants some down time, I'll head down and see what's going on.

Definitely one of my favorite times of the year.

Edited by igotnogame

On 7/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Xatari said:

San Diego Comic Con is arguably my favorite week of the year.  A collector group of which I am part has around 25 members or so from all over the world.  This year, I believe 15-18 of us will all be in SD together.  For the past several years, a subset of us have rented out a house that we use as our home base/club house.  Recently, this has been on Coronado.  Every day of the convention we take the ferry across, allowing us to save time on the commute and drop us off on the back side of the convention center which has its own entrance. 

In terms of strategy, I try to get convention work done during Preview Night since there are fewer people.  It is easier to navigate the floor, so I pick up all my art, connect with my dealers and reps, and browse portfolios until the bell tolls and they kick us out.

Each year varies in terms of events but there are a few that I will never miss. 

• VIP Dinner - Wednesday night after Preview Night a group of folks get together for an in invite-only dinner (queue Cabal anthem).  This year, from what I'm told, there will be 18-20 folks including high value art and comic collectors, museum curators, and some of the popular social media content creators in the comic space.  It is likely the fate of the universe will be decided over the breaking of bread. /S
  • Brian Peck also hosts an annual dinner that is a lovely event and much more accessible in that it is an open invite so long as you give him a heads up.  I attended last year with a group of friends and felt honored to meet so many veteran art collectors.  While collecting genres ranged widely, there was a really nice welcoming atmosphere without any tribalism.  I won't be there this year, but I really appreciate Brian for hosting this.
  • Bad Idea Tiki Party -  this is another of my favorites.  Each year Dinesh Shamdasani and the Bad Idea publishing crew put together an awesome party at a restaurant on the harbor.  Historically there has been an exclusive "party favor" with an artist of creator signing/sketching for guests.  The views at the location are stunning, and Dinesh is a great host.  Guest mingle throughout, and it is easy to spot a lot of the "who's who" of the younger comic collecting crowd.  
  • Annual Del Mar Surf Session - I used to live in North County myself, so every year I take a crew out here to try surfing and have a blast just getting in the water.  Del Mar is a perfect place to learn with beautiful beaches and fun waves that are not overwhelming.  We typically go Friday or Saturday morning.  This is a nice break from the convention which can be imposing once the masses are in full force (especially Saturday).  My goal is always to try to get everything done on Preview Night, so there is little pressure the rest of the weekend, and I can simply enjoy the experience.
  • Deadpool and Wolverine - This year, a group of us snatched tickets for the Deadpool and Wolverine premier.  I think it's going to be a blast to see in San Diego with so many fans incoming from all over.

I'm sure there are million things I'm forgetting, but it would be a short novel to cover everything that goes on in a given SDCC week.  Such an incredible experience!!!

Edited for fat finger typing.

image.gif.307ec221c5fcb0650263e4a16ae32179.gif

Edited by JC25427N

I have been going to SDCC for the last 22 years in a row, missed 2001 (work related) started attending in the mid 90s.

SDCC is crazy but I always have fun. Get to hang out with collectors and friends I see usually once or twice a year and always find something interesting original art to add to my collection. The gaslamp around the convention had great food, entertainment and places to hang out after hours during the con.

When I first started attending you would find some art in the strangest booths, I picked up the X-Men #30 Wedding trading card art from Bob Larkin from a guy from europe selling toys, two pages from X-Factor #1 I had been searching 20 years was found by a friend at a comic book retailer booth. All types of stuff can be found at SDCC.

What I love most about SDCC is the all the great art on display I can not afford but get to see in person. I have seen the splash from X-Men #1 by Kirby, to Frazetta painting and Ditko Amazing Spider-Man cover. I always make a beeline to Albert's booth to see his "Wall of Drool" He always has great art to show and sell. I am amazed I can hold art in my hands even if I will never be able to take it home.

I have acquired a number of great pieces at SDCC over the years including the DPS by Dave Cockrum from one of my favorite stories Kitty's Fairy Tale from Uncanny X-Men #153. Which was up on the Wall of Drool/

My favorite memory of the con and greatest acquisition was.......

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. (wait scratch that, but SDCC does seem like a different galaxy to some).

Any ways at preview night San Diego Comic Con 2014, I was at Moy's booth drooling over his "Wall of Art" when Albert produces a thick cardboard box. To my amazement it contained all the original art to "How to Draw The Marvel Way". Almost anyone who reads comic books knows about this book. My first exposure was discovering it at the library (its a place which were books can be checked out and read, no not Wikipedia) when I was in Jr High. I was blown away that I could become a comic book artist (ya I soon realized I didnt have the patience or skill to become a comic book artist). But I still loved looking thru the book and that book has stuck with me ever since.

I think that book helped me appreciate the art in the comic books and later my collecting of original comic art (especially Big John art).

After looking the all the art (twice) I was able to work out a deal with Albert Moy for it. 

I want to take my hat off (where is that damn hat?) to Albert who was really great to work with on this deal. One of the best!

Never know what piece of art is around that next booth could be your grail/

Brian

This year will be only the second time I've missed SDCC since 2007. I started going just as the Hall H phenomenon was becoming the focus of the con for many people. 
As far as OA goes, I've picked up tons of great art there over the years, even though I don't have much time to dig through portfolios, since every time I've attended it's been for work.

In between panels and interviews, I always manage to find an hour or so at some point each year to go sightseeing. That's led me to picking up a British Spider-Man cover featuring his Amazing Friends Firestar and Iceman, a Twice-Up silver age Batman splash page, and some great pages from an early Dazzler issue that Jon Mankuta hooked me up with.

My biggest regret art wise is not pulling the trigger on the cover to Avengers #203 that Hans had years ago. Love that issue, but the ask (something like $3k) was too much for my wallet at the time. (Insert face palm emoji)

As Brian noted above, you'll see great art in the most unlikely spots because there are so many dealers from all around the country. Take your time and check 'em all out. Even if you don't buy anything, you will almost certainly see stuff you've never seen before.

For those going, have a great time!

On 7/22/2024 at 1:18 PM, zhamlau said:

The only time I went to SDCC was in 1996 or 97 (one of the two). I flew in and hung out with Bob Burden for a while. He introduced me to Moebius and Randy (his manager/translator/publisher/everything at the time). We three had sandwiches and talked about collecting art. I bought a bunch of art from Incal and Surfer off him and he did some sketches/ signed stuff. He was a very nice man. After that I never felt like I needed to go back, I accomplished all I had hoped to in that one trip.

Cool anecdote! (and smart buys!).

I was one and done as well.    I'm glad I did it, but apart from seeing San Diego and meeting other collectors, I didn't particularly enjoy it.   No need to repeat.      Too big, too crowded, blah blah.   And that was twenty years ago, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole today.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, Bronty said:

Cool anecdote! (and smart buys!).

I was one and done as well.    I'm glad I did it, but I didn't particularly enjoy it.   Too big, too crowded, blah blah.   And that was twenty years ago, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole today.

Same with me as well.  I went one time and hated it for all the same reasons.  Especially for comics, seeing the same dealers at different cons.  

Of course seeing Greggy made it worth it.

Edited by Deathlok

On 7/22/2024 at 1:26 PM, Deathlok said:

Same with me as well.  I went one time and hated it for all the same reasons.  Especially for comics, seeing the same dealers at different cons.  

We went the same year!   I remember meeting you with a group of people in someone's hotel room or something?   Nice to see you around.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/22/2024 at 1:26 PM, Deathlok said:

another boardie mentioned these are your first posts in seventeen years!    Took a little break I see!

On 7/22/2024 at 10:40 AM, Bronty said:

another boardie mentioned these are your first posts in seventeen years!    Took a little break I see!

small break.  been buying infrequently, but havne;'t kept up on the events or news very much.

Looking forward to seeing friends there at SDCC that I only see there, once a year. There's a group of San Diego guys who go every year. That's always fun. 

I've gone to every show since the first one (1970) and only missed the shows from 1975 to 1985 (joined the Navy to see the world and traveled a lot after that). I exhibited at SDCC for 29 straight years (selling whatever I could) under the banner of San Diego Comics. That helped ensure getting passes and make a little $$ to spend buying more comics and some OA. I stopped exhibiting after 2019. It was time to enjoy it in other ways. 

Yeah, it's crowded. I've learned to navigate that. I wasn't too much into OA until the late 90's, early 2000's and then it seemed to be more viable than buying comics. I agree with Brian about finding art at the strangest booths. I typically check out the 'big boys' stuff online before I go, but I prefer some dealers more than others (price and willingness to be helpful and friendly. Most are, some, not so much). 

I don't chase 'big price' artwork either. Most the OA that I target are artists that I like and it keeps me grounded. I'm not priced out of the big stuff, it just that I can't see paying big stuff, but I still like to fish in the pond. I think there was only one year when I didn't purchase a piece of art in the last 25 years. 

Going there is always fun. I don't go where the big crowds go, so it minimizes the crush of the crowd. 

I honestly wouldn’t keep attending if I didn’t live here. Way better art cons if you’re spending money on flights and hotels. My plan this year is the same as the last several years - pick up the commissions I set up pre-con the first day (Thursday this year because no preview night). I’ll do a quick tour of the artists area and see if I want to set anything else up. Hopefully I’ll be out of there mid-day and most of the rest of the weekend I’ll hang with friends offsite and let somebody use my badge. I’ll pop in here and there just to check on anything I set up, but hopefully no more than an hour max on the floor Friday - Sunday. 

On 7/22/2024 at 1:51 PM, davidtere said:

Looking forward to seeing friends there at SDCC that I only see there, once a year. There's a group of San Diego guys who go every year. That's always fun. 

I've gone to every show since the first one (1970) and only missed the shows from 1975 to 1985 (joined the Navy to see the world and traveled a lot after that). I exhibited at SDCC for 29 straight years (selling whatever I could) under the banner of San Diego Comics. That helped ensure getting passes and make a little $$ to spend buying more comics and some OA. I stopped exhibiting after 2019. It was time to enjoy it in other ways. 

Yeah, it's crowded. I've learned to navigate that. I wasn't too much into OA until the late 90's, early 2000's and then it seemed to be more viable than buying comics. I agree with Brian about finding art at the strangest booths. I typically check out the 'big boys' stuff online before I go, but I prefer some dealers more than others (price and willingness to be helpful and friendly. Most are, some, not so much). 

I don't chase 'big price' artwork either. Most the OA that I target are artists that I like and it keeps me grounded. I'm not priced out of the big stuff, it just that I can't see paying big stuff, but I still like to fish in the pond. I think there was only one year when I didn't purchase a piece of art in the last 25 years. 

Going there is always fun. I don't go where the big crowds go, so it minimizes the crush of the crowd. 

The difference is you live in San Diego. 

If I lived there, I'd go every year too, how could you not?    But to travel internationally to it the way I have to?    Hard pass.

I agree with the sentiments that everyone who goes to a comic con should check this out for themselves at least once.  The location is fantastic, the entire city devotes itself to comic books, the views are spectacular and the show is extremely well run.   In 2018 Veronica and I were guests of honor and they brought us out and covered everything-- we had an amazing suite on the harbor with 360 views that was incredible, and getting through the show with handlers who know all of the secret entrances and off limits exits certainly makes a big difference.  We would have never made an interview with the SyFy Channel if our handlers weren't top notch.

I've been as an attendee many times and I love preview night because it's not insane.   I'm an art and golden age collector, so my goal at SDCC is always to find some great piece of art and a rare book-- seldom does the book thing work out-- I find FanExpo Chicago better for buying-- but its a great art resource.  It's insanely crowded, but far FAAAR and away better handled than NYCC which I can't stand, plus you're in one of the most beautiful locations in the world.  Make a vacation out of it and let your wife and kids run around Old Town or head to the beach.  Well worth it.