• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That time of year again- new Overstreet is out this week. I still love the book.
2 2

41 posts in this topic

Except for the Tec 40, that seems like pretty normal OS increases.

But now that he's let the cat out of the bag about how hot Flash #1 is, rising from 15th all the way to 13th, I definitely predict the 1.8 coming up at Comiclink will sell for more than 2.0 guide.

looking at the Action 1 / Tec 27 disparity in values in 9.2, it strikes me as odd.  We know Overstreet increase the value for these books that dont sell publicly based on extrapolated values in the market for lower grades.. But if a high grade Tec 27 came up for sale it would sell fr at least as much as the Action 1s, wouldn't they?  Or, is it that why DONT sell for as much in lower grades which DO sell publicly.  And it's all guesswork what the 9.2 or 8.5 copies would get in a sale today??   Overall Id say Tec 27 should be 6M if Action 1 is not at 7M.   It doesn't affect reality of coutse, but generally speaking Tec 27 (not Action 1 as I originally typed here)  isn't worth only 60% as much!

Edited by Aman619

Looking at the new Golden Age Top 100 list I wondered how close Seven Seas 4 is to the top 100?  Could someone share the price of Seven Seas 4 in the new Overstreet in 9.2?  Also noting the Exciting 9 breaking into the top 100 as the first Nedor title to do that I think - I wondered what is the price of the Black Terror 1 in the new Overstreet in 9.2?  Thanks 

I appreciate what the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide has meant to our hobby, but it needs to improve.  My first issue was #8 with the the Good Girl Art Cover.

With that said, Overstreet suggesting Seven Seas 4 in 9.2 has a value of $20,000 is ridiculous.  It sold for more than 4 times that amount a few years ago.  It is a six figure book now or close to it.  Nevertheless, Overstreet guides it at $20K  and no where near the Top 100.  Even if Overstreet is guide pricing books in their raw state and not slabbed - some of the prices are so inaccurate as to be laughable.

Although Overstreet is an annual print publication with a long history of conservative pricing - suggesting Seven Seas 4 is a $20,000 book is NOT conservative - it is just WRONG.

To those who might defend Overstreet's pricing saying, it is A GUIDE / ONLY A GUIDE ... to you I say, well then it it is a very poor one - OR - No! It is not a guide at all, WHEN the suggested prices are completely disconnected from reality IT IS NO LONGER A GUIDE - IT IS A MISGUIDE!   

MISGUIDE - verb ˌmis-ˈgīd   to lead astray misdirect  - as in to deceive to cause to believe what is untrue - we were misguided by the flashy advertisements for what turned out to be pretty lousy pizza

Synonyms & Similar Words - deceive, fool, trick, mislead, misinform, delude, hoodwink, beguile, dupe, bamboozle, cheat,  hornswaggle, fake out, do a number on, snooker, defraud, swindle, hustle, chisel, flimflam, etc.

I am perhaps a lone voice for Overstreet taking bold steps forward in more accurately pricing key books, but I cry out because I believe things can be better.  

I fully realize Overstreet is an annual hard print publication with information that is gathered months before publication.  I am not calling for up to the moment accuracy.  I am saying pricing for well known, well documented, highly desirable key books should be at least within 100% of their value.

Seven Seas 4 in 9.2 is not a $20,000 book - raw or slabbed, it's just not.  A more reasonable price range would be somewhere between $60,000 to a $100,000.

Seven Seas 4  is not an isolated example.  It is just one example of the many keys with documented sales that are far removed from prices that Overstreet suggests.

There was a time when the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide was a guide, but it has become - especially regarding many high value books a MISGUIDE and this needs to change for the better.  If it does change for the better Overstreet can once again be a valued force in the comic book hobby - not just for articles and hobby information - but as a trusted resource and guide for pricing.

Edited by blackterror

I have issue #8 up to #49 then stopped :preach:

On 8/1/2024 at 6:12 AM, Readcomix said:

I don’t think there’s a war guy out there who is really gonna pay more for a high-grade Sgt Fury #1 than a high-grade OOAW #83. (shrug)

Have you forgotten the cardinal rule of SA comic collecting?  Marvel > DC.

I must have bought OS for well over 20 years.  Read the articles and even tried to sell by it when doing shows at the Ambassador prior to the Shrine.  Stopped for a long time, but picked a new copy up last year's for $5 at a small con a couple months ago..  Just too small for these old eyes to read without a page magnifier 

I think 🤔 the purpose of Overstreet nowadays is when a comic collector dies, his family takes his collection into some local comic shop, and the dealer pulls out an  Overstreet guide as a basis to value the unknowing family’s collection. He tells the family members he will offer them 50% of Overstreet because he has to make some money 💰 on the collection. More often than not, the family accepts the offer. I’ve seen it happen several times over the years.

Edited by Ghastly542454