• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Book is a 9.8?!
5 5

30 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2024 at 3:51 PM, DanJD said:

Concerns as sellers about returns because of a very real flaw should be frustration towards CGC not the buyer that does not want to buy a defected book.  Small bow is a subjective comment.  I would not describe these warped inner wells as having small bows to them.  Any level of bow created by the encapsulation is unacceptable.  Saying someone should buy a warped book is no better than saying buy this 9.8 that was posted by the OP.

^^

On 7/27/2024 at 3:34 PM, MadGenius said:

A bow in the inner well will absolutely cause spine stress. The source of the bowing is excess pressure exerted on the top and bottom of the inner well. This can be replicated at home. Take a book in a bag and board and apply pressure at both ends. The book will bow and spine ticks will form.

Yes it will but only in the middle of the book where it's bowing enough to cause the spine ticks. The bowed inner wells are not bowed enough at the top and bottom of the book to cause the spine ticks present on the upper and lower parts of the spine on this book. Don't know what's going on with this book but it's not from a bent inner well.

On 7/27/2024 at 11:11 PM, LordRahl said:

Yes it will but only in the middle of the book where it's bowing enough to cause the spine ticks. The bowed inner wells are not bowed enough at the top and bottom of the book to cause the spine ticks present on the upper and lower parts of the spine on this book. Don't know what's going on with this book but it's not from a bent inner well.

Perhaps it's not ALL from a bent inner well, but I would wager most of it is considering when it was graded.

On 7/27/2024 at 10:11 PM, LordRahl said:

I agree with this towards the very ends, but mine specifically was bent enough around both staples to cause damage.  Beyond that I agree would be tough.  Some of the damage on this book could be caused by the inner well though, and any amount of extra damage caused by the product intended to protect the book is unacceptable.  Even if this was a bad book to submit from the start, the submitter shouldn’t expect unnecessary further damage from the well or slab.  Still boggles my mind.   I am confused further by those that defend it.