• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #608 for over $500!
3 3

454 posts in this topic

Never mind

Was it YOU who got it buddy? :baiting:

Jerome

lol No, wasn't me. I sent him a message last night, but haven't heard from him. I wish the yellow label had Jeph Loeb. Looks like it's a pretty soft 9.8 from the picture.

A 9.8 is a 9.8 to me. I messaged him minutes (seconds even) before he removed the listing and never heard back. I even sent him a congrats message too...nuttin. He took the $ and ran.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

It's Baaaack!

And now he wants a cool $5,000 because our offers of +$3,000 is a slap in the face.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262238535334?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerome

Just get the SS and save yourself a couple of Gs. lol

I have to admit I'm on the fence about the book. I just don't like the sig placement where it says Batman, it just kind of sours me on it. So I think I'll hold off. If that sig was just about anywhere else, it wouldn't still be on ebay.

Jerome

It's Baaaack!

And now he wants a cool $5,000 because our offers of +$3,000 is a slap in the face.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262238535334?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerome

Just get the SS and save yourself a couple of Gs. lol

I have to admit I'm on the fence about the book. I just don't like the sig placement where it says Batman, it just kind of sours me on it. So I think I'll hold off. If that sig was just about anywhere else, it wouldn't still be on ebay.

Jerome

Somebody just snagged it for $3,450....

http://item.ebay.co.uk/161944152387?item_hash4=6086b774&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&LH_BO=1&_ipg=200&_pgn=1&rc=nt&rmvSB=true

-J.

So what kind of estimate is there on how many copies are out there almost 15 years later ? I imagine the census is likely not 100% accurate on this book with possible overlaps for signed copies but curious what people's guesses are right now.

I wasn't a believer in modern books trading for high numbers but if The Walking Dead with almost 700 copies in 9.8 can hold steady at 2K there's no reason why this book can't also. I guess it is the Batman key of the last however many years with a markedly lower print run.

So what kind of estimate is there on how many copies are out there almost 15 years later ? I imagine the census is likely not 100% accurate on this book with possible overlaps for signed copies but curious what people's guesses are right now.

I wasn't a believer in modern books trading for high numbers but if The Walking Dead with almost 700 copies in 9.8 can hold steady at 2K there's no reason why this book can't also. I guess it is the Batman key of the last however many years with a markedly lower print run.

400-500 tops.

-J.

Well the seller is learning the hard way that he can't get anywhere close to $5K for the book lol

Now he's relisted it for $4,500, still $100 above his original listing. But it has a much better pic. I hope no one buys this in the next few months so he'll be more desperate (read: realistic) and sell it to me for what its actually worth (<$3,450).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-608-Rrp-Variant-Cgc-9-8-/262255879052?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

Jerome

Basically every comic book is a "manufactured collectible" and has been for at least 40 years now.

That's just a dumb characterisation.

-J.

:roflmao:

You're confused. Yes, every comic book is "manufactured" and has an intrinsic value, e.g., it's cover price. A "collectible", however, is something that has an extrinsic value to collectors.

"Manufactured collectible" is a term to describe an item that has no real extrinsic value beyond it's intrinsic value (except to those with really poor judgment).

Of course,we could argue all day about the validity of sales price vs. FMV, and whether or not the "market" is a clear index of extrinsic value, but your use of the term is entirely incorrect. :grin:

Basically every comic book is a "manufactured collectible" and has been for at least 40 years now.

That's just a dumb characterisation.

-J.

:roflmao:

You're confused. Yes, every comic book is "manufactured" and has an intrinsic value, e.g., it's cover price. A "collectible", however, is something that has an extrinsic value to collectors.

"Manufactured collectible" is a term to describe an item that has no real extrinsic value beyond it's intrinsic value (except to those with really poor judgment).

Of course,we could argue all day about the validity of sales price vs. FMV, and whether or not the "market" is a clear index of extrinsic value, but your use of the term is entirely incorrect. :grin:

I disagree with your opinion. (thumbs u

And if you don't believe that virtually every comic book printed during the last 40 years give or take has been done so as a future potential "collector's item" , ie a "manufacturer collectible ", then you're in the wrong line of work. Hell, they even say it on the cover sometimes. lol

Also, Batman 608RRP is the first appearance (and Part One ) of "Hush". ;)

-J.

Also, Batman 608RRP is the first appearance (and Part One ) of "Hush". ;)

-J.

But, but it was released after Batman 608 . . . lol

Not according to the cover date! (and it was never "released" it was handed out directly to retailers at a summit- hence the "RRP".) Facts. :cloud9:

-J.

It's kind of funny to go back and read the first page of this thread when $500 was a lot for this book lol
It's still a lot. :grin:

You're right, this rare 14 year old Batman variant that's part one of a famous storyline is nowhere near the caliber of the bronze and copper age dreck you're usually talking about. :makepoint:

-J.