• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Summer Edition Season 3 (#11) Round 4 Results
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Thanks as always to Mike and his wacky emojis and the guys who post reminders that grades are due since I’m chronically late.

Finished  in the upper half of the standings so I’m pleased with that. Would still like to get my score to 20 or under, tho. 

The disturbing part of these contests is I recognize some names from the Marketplace forum and I am never sure if I should feel worried that they finished with a way higher score than me or glad that I’m buying off people who grade WAY stricter than CGC O.o

On 8/4/2024 at 8:26 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

Oh my God, I cannot believe I won.  First of all, I have been participating in these grading contest since the beginning (even before CGC started sponsoring/running the current grading contests) when the board ran our own contests.  I have been in the top 25 to 50% group and Honorable Mention Group but never ever been in the top 3 and not even close to the top 10 in any of the contests.  I was considering not entering this time because I figure that I have no chance and why bother.  I decided to enter again because the contests are always fun even if frustrating.  So the lesson to everyone here, don't give up and keep playing, you know never know what is possible.  What did I do different this time to improve and win?  Honestly nothing changed.  My advice is to go with your gut and 1st instinct and not 2nd guess yourself.  Don't overthink it.  Let's face it.  You need a lot of luck to win this contest.  My decades of comic collecting finally paid off and the right books/defects showed up in the contest.  I think a lot of grading is based personally on the books we have seen and graded in our lifetime but can continually learn.  We all have certain biases and influences that determine a comic grade for us.   Thank you to the CGC Forum for making me a better grader.

Congratulations!

On 8/6/2024 at 1:03 PM, JollyComics said:

@CGC Mike  We had a tiebreaker in a previous contest.  How many did we have tiebreakers in last 11 contests?

Every contest except contest #4 (Fall 2022, won by Yorick) has ended with a tiebreaker round to determine the top 3, Jolly:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/search/?&q=tiebreaker&author=CGC Mike&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

https://boards.cgccomics.com/search/?&q=tie breaker&author=CGC Mike&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy